APO 50 images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think I will just rent it for 1-2 days from Lensrentals to satisfy my curiosity, I am not seeing anything remotely close what I am looking for in any of the samples given.

While there is no way in this century I am paying 8K for a 50mm F2 lens to use in 35mm when I have a brand new 50 Lux Asph, I will gladly rent the APO for 7-10 days for a fine art project I am going to do on Techpan film after I test it to be worth it.

I look forward to hearing how it compares to your 50 Lux ASPH in real world shooting, rather than some science project testing that we so often hear about on the internet.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-lenses/335873-results-informal-test-50-apo-vs.html

I didn't have much time to do this and was very limited in terms of subject matter. The results may have been due to different focus, but if it was due to focus, I must have consistently focused the 50 Apo more accurately than my own 50 lux aspherical. I am on the fence about whether I want to replace my lux with the Apo or not and I guess I will be doing more testing.

• Like 1

You mean both the lenses at f2

Or, the APO50 at f2 and the Noct at 0.95?

How about both?

If no one owns both lenses, it would be great if an owner of each lens could post a few photos from their lens so we could compare the images both at maximum aperture and at f/2 for the Noctilux.

How about both?

If no one owns both lenses, it would be great if an owner of each lens could post a few photos from their lens so we could compare the images both at maximum aperture and at f/2 for the Noctilux.

Ok, after I receive the lens I'll do some home testing between some of my 50mm's where a comparison makes sense :

50APO

50cron (current)

Noctilux 0.95 at f2

50Lux ASPH at f2

ZM Planar 50 f2

ZM Sonnar at f2

I'm not including my "character lenses" like the Noctilux f1 / Canon 50/1.2 LTM / Summar / Summarit / Summitar etc.

To end it even before it begins -

I don't if we'll be able to see much of a difference on our small screens and monitors from different brands that have been differently configured and calibrated to our individual tastes but since not many images are readily available taken with this lens, I will do the tests anyway to help other people looking for this info

Like I was a few days ago

I'm sure there will be comments on the technique I used and some on lighting and some on something else so do us all a favor and please keep the fine pointers to yourself

If you can do it better than what's being offered, do it yourself :)

I'm neither trying to sell you one nor dissuading you from buying one.

Penultimately, he who wants the 50APO will get the 50APO. He who doesn't want it, will not; for a myriad of reasons.

I will use the lens extensively "in the real world" over the next few days and weeks on my M9, MM and M240 and post samples here. Happy to provide the DNG's over email.

• Like 2

I can tell you one thing for sure. The Noctilux will have visible more purple fringing at the transition to any highlights. Less so than the f1, but still clearly visible in many color examples shot with this lens.

True but the comparison won't be a fair one anyway

The Noctilux 0.95 (announced 2008) is a technical marvel and being able to compare it to a calculated and manufactured "no holds barred" f2 lens (announced 2012) is an achievement already ... for the Noctilux

Exactly. I always look for a one size fits all solution, but it just doesn't exist. I really think that the 50lux aspherical is as close to the perfect lens as you can get. It is relatively compact, fast, sharp, and well-corrected, and it has some character.

Then again with a Monochrom or an M 240, the 50Apo may just be perfect due to the higher ISO capabilities. Add the old Noctilux f1 for character and you are done.

I constantly think about reshuffling my lens collection to afford the Apo, but I try to stick to my rule of never selling a Leica lens because you'll miss it and they are hard to get back.

Exactly. I always look for a one size fits all solution, but it just doesn't exist. I really think that the 50lux aspherical is as close to the perfect lens as you can get. It is relatively compact, fast, sharp, and well-corrected, and it has some character.

Then again with a Monochrom or an M 240, the 50Apo may just be perfect due to the higher ISO capabilities. Add the old Noctilux f1 for character and you are done.

I constantly think about reshuffling my lens collection to afford the Apo, but I try to stick to my rule of never selling a Leica lens because you'll miss it and they are hard to get back.

Actually I've gone even slower and have been shooting with my Elmar-M 50/2.8 since I got the M240

I like the muted colors and compact size of the camera+lens combination

urytegyv.jpg

tezysyda.jpg

dyza8ybe.jpg

Which lenses do you have in mind to potentially let go to make place for the APO50? There are a few exotics I'm looking for

• Like 2

Here are a few snap shops taken with my new APO Summicron ASPH 50mm.

Some were slightly over exposed and some shot directly into the sun just to see what happened regarding flare and highlight problems.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/flickrtronic/sets/72157645532268513

I will post some more comparison shots against my 50mm Summicron V5 and my 50mm Summilux ASPH when I get a chance.

I can say that I really love the handling and feel of this lens. I never bonded totally with my 50mm Summilux ASPH and always ended up going back to the 50 Summicron V5.

This new APO50 is wonderful to use. The focus is super smooth and aperture great too. The picture quality is something else. I have a feeling this lens will be used 95%+ on my M240 now.

• Like 2

From the first few images I shot this evening, it seems like my copy front focuses pretty badly at mid range. I think at close range it did OK, have to see it on the big monitor to confirm.

Do any of you have focus shift issues with your APO50??

I'll take the EVF with me tomorrow and see if I'm able to nail the focus

My M240 works perfectly with all the lenses I threw at it so far so it can't be a RF alignment issue, has to be the lens

Oh woe :/

From the first few images I shot this evening, it seems like my copy front focuses pretty badly at mid range. I think at close range it did OK, have to see it on the big monitor to confirm.

I'll take the EVF with me tomorrow and see if I'm able to nail the focus

My M240 works perfectly with all the lenses I threw at it so far so it can't be a RF alignment issue, has to be the lens

Oh woe :/

Mine seems OK. I will test more at the weekend too.

I had the opportunity to test one in order to make a buying decision.

I can say, focus is absolutely perfect. No shift at all.

IMO this lens is the new benchmark.

Can't sleep 'till I have it. ;)

Regards

lik

Is there any flare issue? I don't think so.

Here's an example.

Best reagards

lik

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

I didn't see any focus shift at all.

Front / back focus seems ok but will check more at weekend.

I have not noticed and flare issues as of yet and I have shot directly into the sun.

For me it's shaping up to be my perfect lens.

This makes me wonder how the 50/2 APO compares with the Noctilux 0.95 ASPH when it is shot at maximum aperture...?

Hi,

I made a comparison which tells the story - both at 2.0.

It's the upper right corner of the following scene.

Best regards

lik

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4