M8 Focus Peaking

ZPM8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All,

I recently own an M8 and not so familiar with telemetering system. I was wondering whether it exists an accessory which would help me with focusing, such an focus peaking. Would an EVF for M8 support focus peaking ? THanks for your advice.

No. There is no way to get any kind of Liveview out of an M8. Then you have to buy the M240.

The only way to focus is to guess the distance or as most people do, use the rangefinder.

Edited by jaapv
pejorative removed

Dear All,

I recently own an M8 and not so familiar with telemetering system. I was wondering whether it exists an accessory which would help me with focusing, such an focus peaking. Would an EVF for M8 support focus peaking ? THanks for your advice.

As said, NO.

You need to clean the range finder windows, use diopters on the viewfinder if your eyes need it, and possibly consider one of the magnifying eyepeices.

I recently bought a MS-MAG 1.35X adjustable diopter that magnifies the image and allows me to compensate for my own presbyopia.

Dear All,

Practice, practice, practice!

Maybe look into zone focussing for certain situations.

No. There is no way to get any kind of Liveview out of an M8. Then you have to buy the M240.

The only way to focus is to guess the distance or as most people do, use the rangefinder.

Thanks for your advice: what does the M240 bring which helps focusing ? does it support focus peaking ?

• 2 weeks later...

When you buy an M240 with live view you have just purchased a very poor SLR at a very high price. If one wants a RF that is what he wants just as if one wants an SLR that's what he wants not a camcorder. If you want everything in one get a smartphone and don't call it photography anymore. I'm personally about to believe it's a dead field anyway.

Last time I looked the M240 was the best RF camera ever built. It even has auxiliary LV and EVF options. Where did you get the idea it is an SLR?:confused:

I would say you are confusing added features with basic properties.

• Like 2

An SLR without a mirror is a poor SLR indeed … The M doesn’t even have a pentaprism or a focusing screen.

I think he meant TTL (Through The Lens), which is typically how

a mirrorless camera works.

Essentially, it is an electronic Live View viewfinder.

SLR is a Single-Lens Reflex and uses a mirror or pentaprism as you stated.

I don't exactly agree with Dblrifle's assessment, even after substituting TTL for SLR.

I will agree that the electronic viewfinder for the M is a little too crude by modern standards, but no one forces you to use it, either.

Lastly, the type of camera really has little to do with the "art of photography". You could put film in a box with a pinhole and still photograph things and that is just as much "photography" as it would be with a view camera or my iPhone.