Leica T w/23mm Changing Aperture Automatically

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys, new to the forum and I had a question about a strange occurrence with my T:

Every time that I have the Leica T at f/2 with the 23mm and I go to the closest focusing point with a subject, the camera automatically switches to a different aperture. So for instance I'll be at 2.0, try to get a nice blurry background and the camera will either switch to 2.5 or 2.8 depending on distance. I'm perplexed by why this is happening. No other camera I've ever used has done this. It's almost like the T doesn't want me to shoot with those parameters.

And I'm shooting everything in manual mode with RAW selected.

Any idea why it's doing this?

Thanks.

Any idea why it's doing this?

Thanks.

To maintain the high image quality that Leica requires ....... to achieve this across all the image would otherwise require a lens costing 2-3x the price and be a lot bulkier.....

Leica chose to stop down and save your wallet instead.

• Like 1

To maintain the high image quality that Leica requires ....... to achieve this across all the image would otherwise require a lens costing 2-3x the price and be a lot bulkier.....

That's a smart feature!

Leica chose to stop down and save your wallet instead.

So instead of letting the operator control the shot, they've chosen to override creative control?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This behavior, or as some want to call it, favor done to us by Leica is reason enough to not get the Leica T for me. Barring situations where I'm limited to using the lens wide open. I use rarely use lenses wide open but when I do it is important for the lens to be fully open. I couldn't give this control up.

On the other hand, I'm fairly certain I'm not the target market for the T. The wife, whose birthday gift will be this camera, isn't going to be bothered by this behavior.

I wonder if Leica will give the user the choice for the lens behaving this way via future firmware update. I dunno how it would be implemented...maybe have full control in manual mode?

Edited by CaptZoom
for me

This behavior, or as some want to call it, favor done to us by Leica is reason enough to not get the Leica T for me. Barring situations where I'm limited to using the lens wide open. I use rarely use lenses wide open but when I do it is important for the lens to be fully open. I couldn't give this control up.

On the other hand, I'm fairly certain I'm not the target market for the T. The wife, whose birthday gift will be this camera, isn't going to be bothered by this behavior.

I wonder if Leica will give the user the choice for the lens behaving this way via future firmware update. I dunno how it would be implemented...maybe have full control in manual mode?

It is only for very close distances ...... and I cannot think of a lot of reasons for wanting LESS d.o.f at distances less than a metre anyway ..... if anything there is usually annoyingly little .....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

It is only for very close distances ...... and I cannot think of a lot of reasons for wanting LESS d.o.f at distances less than a metre anyway ..... if anything there is usually annoyingly little .....

Exactly...when you do have a reason, it's vitally important. I'd rather Leica (or any other manufacturer) not do me such favors.

At that close a distance, the out of focus variation in treatment of f2.0 vs 2.8 would be pretty hard to see, but the lens performance must be visible. I bet Leica would prefer to see written complaints on this forum rather than photos displaying the problem.

CaptZoom, if you are used to paying for M lenses that allow you to have fantastic performance wide open and very close, you are right, no need for a T for you.

• Like 1

You can stick a noctilux on it with a T to M converter and a couple of OUFRO's and take macro shots at 0.95 if you want :rolleyes:

The 23/2 is not the only lens you can use ....... and it's not designed for macro use anyway...... even though it focuses down to 11cm ......

Throwing the dolly out of the pram because you can't use f2 at 11cm is a bit churlish ....

• Like 2

You can stick a noctilux on it with a T to M converter and a couple of OUFRO's and take macro shots at 0.95 if you want :rolleyes: The 23/2 is not the only lens you can use ....... and it's not designed for macro use anyway...... even though it focuses down to 11cm ...... Throwing the dolly out of the pram because you can't use f2 at 11cm is a bit churlish ....

Wow I did not yet notice that it can focus that close. Great. I happily take the f2.2 or f2.8 as a trade in. Usually 30cm is the limit...

Sean Reid wrote the following: "Leica will have the specifics but is seems that we lose F/2.0 at roughly a half meter focus distance and, as the subject gets closer, that maximum drops to F/2.2, F/2.5 and F/2.8."

IMHO, having a 35mm Leica lens focus at F/2.0 down to 20" and then losing one stop as the distance gets smaller is no big deal. How close do you want your subject with a 35mm? I'm impressed with how close the lens focuses.

• Like 3

Sean Reid wrote the following: "Leica will have the specifics but is seems that we lose F/2.0 at roughly a half meter focus distance and, as the subject gets closer, that maximum drops to F/2.2, F/2.5 and F/2.8."

IMHO, having a 35mm Leica lens focus at F/2.0 down to 20" and then losing one stop as the distance gets smaller is no big deal. How close do you want your subject with a 35mm? I'm impressed with how close the lens focuses.

I agree. 11 in is amazing anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the difference is trivial .......

3 shots 45cm, 30-35cm, 28cm ......... first is minimum distance for f2, middle f2.5, last is closest focus point at f2.8.

I can't see much difference in DOF......

I'm not sure any of this is of any consequence except to macro photographers ...... who are not likely to be using a 35mm equivalent lens anyway ......:rolleyes:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I'm not sure any of this is of any consequence except to macro photographers ...... who are not likely to be using a 35mm equivalent lens anyway ......:rolleyes:

I don't know. I will probably use my Nikon micro lens (with stacked adapters) with the T - I've been very impressed with what others have achieved.