Apple Aperture to support T and XV RAW files

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apple announced, in a background presentation at the recent WWDC, that Mac OSX Yosemite will support the latest specification of DNG files.

This means that the RAW files from the T and the XV will be usable in Aperture and iPhoto.

Yosemite is a free upgrade and is coming this Autumn.

• Like 4

Great to hear - thank you, John! I may consider going back to Aperture... I know many use it happily.

I also just noticed you have a bunch of new photos and they look really good, John. I think you and your T have bonded beautifully.

• 3 weeks later...

Apple has announced (today?) that both iPhoto and Aperture are being replaced by the new Photo app. Apple has stated that the new Photo app will support professional as well as casual requirements. Can't wait to see how they pull that off in a single app.

Well that's good news for Adobe!

I just read AppleInsider with the news that Apple will not longer support Aperture (which I don't use BTW).

“With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture,” said Apple in a statement provided to The Loop. “When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS.”

• Like 1

It is disappointing news indeed—personally I like Aperture.

All Apple software will support the RAW format of the T and XV from Yosemite, as it's a function of the operating system, thankfully.

Hopefully “Photos” will meet my needs, if not I'll have to move over to Lightroom.

Try Iridient Developer. It produces nicer files than LR.

Thanks John. I have Iridient, it certainly produces crisp images, but somehow I find LIghtroom's treatment more natural.

I do hope I like “Photos”.

• 3 months later...

Yosemite is now available as a free upgrade to Mac OSX, and I'm pleased to say that it does support the Leica T RAW files.

This means I can import the RAW files from the camera and process them in Aperture without needing Lightroom or any other converter. I look forward to the coming Photos App which will obviously support the T from the outset.

I feel really sad about Aperture ..... as a result of having and MM, M, XV and then a T I have had to use LR even though I much prefer the way Aperture arranges images and the developing interface is miles better.

Now I am so used to using LR I can't see much point in going back.

Apple is entirely to blame ... as they presumably view it as a marginal program for nerdy photographers ......:o