Idea for a Custom Wrist Strap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IkarusJohn-

Thanks for trail-blazing this for us with Lance.

For anyone else who may be interested, they ask that you send them the pin connector, and they will create a custom T wrist (or shoulder) strap.

I've used their products before. Nice quality at a reasonable cost.

I also have my eye on that A&A silk strap... Does anyone know how easy and effective it is to wrap that silk neck strap around one's wrist and use as a wrist strap?

Dang, I am 1 pin connector short to get them both (unless I give Leica yet more money for another strap) - if they are even available.

IkarusJohn-

<snip>

I also have my eye on that A&A silk strap... Does anyone know how easy and effective it is to wrap that silk neck strap around one's wrist and use as a wrist strap?

<snip>

The shorter one works very well wrapped around the wrist, I have used it so on a number of occasions. Although at a pinch the longer is usable, but only in emergencies IMO!

So, thanks to you guys, I finally have a wrist strap on my T. This is a fun one I picked up at B&H to hold me over - a $12 Joby strap (that fits into the pin connector perfectly) while I wait for the nicer ones from A&A & Lance.

Neon green... Who needs the T Snap or Leica strap to get some bold color for their T?

Thanks again to all for sharing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 3 weeks later...

You would think that a company so steeped in camera tradition would not even think of having straps made from silicon ( the wrist and neck straps). I tried both and they are terrible. What were they thinking. Hopefully they will allow their patent for the strap lugs to be used by other manufacturers.

I've got my Rapid Strap back on and will modify a Joby to be used in the lug. According to one respondent it fits through the lug with no modifications.

Leica if you read this blog, get your head out of your butt and make sure we are able to get some decent alternatives to your crappy strap by allowing other manufacturers to use your pin design.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"You would think that a company so steeped in camera tradition would not even think of having straps made from silicon ( the wrist and neck straps). I tried both and they are terrible. What were they thinking. Hopefully they will allow their patent for the strap lugs to be used by other manufacturers."

In their defense, because I couldn't get the pin out, I opted to slice through the silicon to free up the lug, and I was rather impressed by how much effort I had to put in. It made me realize that my initial thought that I wouldn't want to trust my T to a rubber strap fearing that it would snap at some point during rough usage is unfounded - the silicon they use will take quite a beating.

However, I do dislike their strap options, don't care for their neck or wrist straps!

"You would think that a company so steeped in camera tradition would not even think of having straps made from silicon ( the wrist and neck straps). I tried both and they are terrible. What were they thinking. Hopefully they will allow their patent for the strap lugs to be used by other manufacturers." In their defense' date=' because I couldn't get the pin out, I opted to slice through the silicon to free up the lug, and I was rather impressed by how much effort I had to put in. It made me realize that my initial thought that I wouldn't want to trust my T to a rubber strap fearing that it would snap at some point during rough usage is unfounded - the silicon they use will take quite a beating. However, I do dislike their strap options, don't care for their neck or wrist straps![/quote']

But if your sweaty, or if it's warm out the silicon performs poorly. Frankly, I wasn't worried about it breaking just being useable. Otherwise, I'm getting used to the camera. Don't get me wrong I love Leica, but the strap and some other issues ere not well thought out, maybe a rush to market?

• Like 1

Patience! I'm sure someone will come up with an alternative eventually - even an adaptation of the original (see earlier in this thread).

Patience hell! The Joby is cheap and works well!

• 1 month later...

Oh and A&A are also doing a T ½ case with built-in lugs - black and dark brown - see this shot from Photokina. The lugs are firmly secured and have apparently been tested adequately

• 1 year later...

you can remove the pin easily and I did it.

This thread has been dead a while, but I just recently acquired my T. Really happy with the camera, not so much with the horrible strap though. I have tried to '"punch" the pin through the connector strap so I can attach my own wrist strap, but the pin won't budge. Is there a secret to getting the connector off?

Edited by Anouk

It punches through one side only. Alternatively, you can purchase regular lugs from MatchTech (~$40) or Leica (more $) to use a regular strap.

That's what I understood, but I can't see which side to take, since on both sides the pin is flush with the connector. On one side there is a small dot, but I don't know if that means something.

first of all u need to check which hole to hit. Hit the one with a deep in step as the other side that flush is the hole to remove the pin. Find a very small screwdriver (small than than the hole size of the pin) preferably a cross one with a sharp tip. Place the hole with a small deep facing upward and try resting the other side (flush) down in between two coin. With the cross screw sharp tip onto the pin and use a small weight or hammer give a hard tap and the pin will slide out below. Then with a clipper and can pull the pin out from the bottom side. That's it. When one try to put back try to keep the same direction and pin orientation when putting back. As when u put back the pin and there is actually a pressure click when fully hit back. No need force but just light tap initial jerk force is enough. You can actually use back the black cover so as to hid the connection pin portion and also as a preventor if one of these day the pin get loose it will still retain in place.

I forget which side has the dot.  This worked for me.

• 1 year later...