Idea for a Custom Wrist Strap

Thanks Pete (& Pico). That looks a little tricky to attach, though I'm sure not impossible. Probably just a case of replacing the leather attachment strap (lots of stitching in there).

I've ordered a braided leather wrist from Lance. It seems to me that it should be easy enough to unstitch the leather end, attach the Leica pin, and re-stitch it. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Cheers

John

I just made this for the T. Basis is a leather wrist strap from Mr Zhou (on that auction site). The advantage is that simply untying the knot dismantles the strap. A little trimming with a modelling knife, also removing the silicon strap and hey presto!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Mr Zhou's original - it's comfortable and adjustable.

I'm not sure that the Linky can be fitted the same way. One might need to retain the split ring - I"ll check tomorrow.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, the pin is a press fit that was probably done with hydraulic pressure so removing the pin is not like removing a watch lug pin. I even have the tools for that as I occasionally (used to do much more) collect watches. I had to use an exact knife and slice through the silicon strap. Oh well it is $79 to replace and you get two lug pins to use for custom straps or pay $70 for one with a silicon strap. Like others I am not that enamored with the silicon strap as it is not comfortable. Threading the nylon strap through the lug and the cover was easy (just get the right width. I just used a strap I had laying around and it worked perfectly.
you can remove the pin easily and I did it.

Edited by felixthecat
Add photo
  • Like 1

Share the secret with the rest of us. I tried an awl to punch it out and it wouldn't budge. There is no screwdriver slot to remove a threaded pin so please share.
first of all u need to check which hole to hit. Hit the one with a deep in step as the other side that flush is the hole to remove the pin. Find a very small screwdriver (small than than the hole size of the pin) preferably a cross one with a sharp tip. Place the hole with a small deep facing upward and try resting the other side (flush) down in between two coin. With the cross screw sharp tip onto the pin and use a small weight or hammer give a hard tap and the pin will slide out below. Then with a clipper and can pull the pin out from the bottom side. That's it. When one try to put back try to keep the same direction and pin orientation when putting back. As when u put back the pin and there is actually a pressure click when fully hit back. No need force but just light tap initial jerk force is enough. You can actually use back the black cover so as to hid the connection pin portion and also as a preventor if one of these day the pin get loose it will still retain in place.
  • Like 3

On the other side is the marked "dot" beside the end to be tapped or not?
I not sure and need to check tonight back home and revert. However, based on my experience, the end where u look closely that protude is the place u extract out. So the side that the pin not protude out or not even flush that is the side of the pin to hit. I tried one time and success and should not be a problem for u.
  • Like 1

You're quite right. Works a treat. Now my A&A silk rope is fitted. Needs a little trim at the sides being careful not to cut into the stitching. Photos to follow shortly.

Mark you, this should never have been necessary if Leica had used an ounce of common sense and thought it through! Car designers .......!!

Edited by spylaw4
  • Like 1

You're quite right. Works a treat. Now my A&A silk rope is fitted. Needs a little trim at the sides being careful not to cut into the stitching. Photos to follow shortly.

Mark you, this should never have been necessary if Leica had used an ounce of common sense and thought it through! Car designers .......!!

Same strap I want to use can't wait for the pics.

Only one pic needed really.

The one good feature of the T strap fixing is that the flat metal bit is such that it can't actually touch the body, although it will be possible for the A&A strap leather end to do so, just.

Oh and we also found that the end of a paperclip will go into the hole to operate the strap release.

• Like 4

Done

• Like 2

Here's a wrist strap version from Lance ($32). They make nice braided leather and nylon wrist- and shoulder- straps. The nylon shoulder strap is similar to A&A, but not done in silk. It is nonetheless comfy, and can be ordered in any size and in different colors.

This braided leather version has caught my eye, since thanks to you folks and your discovery, we may have more strap options for the T. Cheers.