Which is your preferred first T lens??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Was just wondering which of the two T lenses would be your first?

Initially I was looking at the zoom owing to its flexibility but then thought about getting the 23 T'cron as that would be an f/2. With my M 35/2 and 50/1 that would basically cover me from 35-75 @ f/1 to f/2.......! But then again, I'm tempted by the zoom........

Any thoughts, folks?

They are both good lenses. I bought both and the 23mm is a very useful focal length. In poor lighting f2 really makes a difference, specially if it will allow you to drop from ISO 6400 to ISO 3200. I notice that one stop makes a big difference.

• Like 2

I went with the 23mm for its f/2. It is a very good lens. Now that I have a better idea of how the camera performs, I am considering the zoom as a supplement. Reports on that lens are that it too is very good, but not quite as good as the 23mm in IQ.

Your question simply raises the age-old question of prime vs. zoom. Obvious that there are trade-offs for each, and with today's good zooms, it is sometimes down to the speed and size of the prime vs. the versatility of the zoom. Since I like shooting wide open with narrow DOF, my first choice was the 23. But your shooting style and other preferences may dictate a different decision.

• Like 2

I don't want to start a heated debate on something that is discussed to death in various full frame forums, but doesn't the crop factor of the T's sensor here affect the equivalent length to a 35mm and also it's max speed? So am I right to think that the 23mm f2 T lens in 35mm equivalent is a 35mm f2.8? And going backwards, my M summilux 50mm is a 75mm equivalent on the T and is it's still f1.4 or now a max f2?

For your first lens I recommend the 23mm. I purchased the 23mm, 18-56 and the M adapter and the 23mm stays on the camera more than any other lens. It is a great lens and extremely compact.

BTW- a 23mm f2 lens is always a 23mm f2 lens. Because the sensor is smaller it gives the FOV of a 35mm lens. No other characteristics of the lens will change.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks folks.

To be honest, I am buying the T (my order is out) as a backup for my M, as I'm sure a lot of users will be. So the 23/2 makes sense, as along with the adapter I shall use my other M lenses as well.

But boy, is that damn zoom tempting, or what???

• Like 2