Left adjusting dial

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got my T today and love it! I have a question that I can't figure out from the manual.

The Left adjustment dial can be assigned to different things, I prefer EV or exposure compensation. However, when the camera is turned off then back on, the left dial goes back to ISO, the factory default each time. Does the Left dial have to be reassigned every time the camera is turned on?

I have not downloaded the firmware update yet. Thanks.

I just got my T today and love it! I have a question that I can't figure out from the manual.

The Left adjustment dial can be assigned to different things, I prefer EV or exposure compensation. However, when the camera is turned off then back on, the left dial goes back to ISO, the factory default each time. Does the Left dial have to be reassigned every time the camera is turned on?

I have not downloaded the firmware update yet. Thanks.

Hi there

This was a bug in the old firmware. Download the new firmware and it will be fixed (together with lots of other small issues)

Enjoy your new camera!

• Like 1

Hi there

This was a bug in the old firmware. Download the new firmware and it will be fixed (together with lots of other small issues)

Enjoy your new camera!

Well, I think there is still a bug. I have the left dial set to focus aid when I am using M lenses. Turning the camera off wipes out the setting, so it is not remembering. (FW 1.1) And the left dial setting cannot stored in a profile either. Storing in profile would be easy to use. One profile for auto focus. One for manual.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That isn't the way my camera behaves. It is still set to magnify after I turn the camera off and then back on.

Thanks. Just tried again, and it works as it should. I must then attribute this to user error of some kind (a subject with which I am very familiar)

• Like 1

Firmware 1.1 did correct my left dial adjustment and it remembers the last setting after it's turned off. However, on a couple occasions, both dials decided not to work at all but returned to normal after I took out the battery and reloaded it.

Firmware 1.1 did correct my left dial adjustment and it remembers the last setting after it's turned off. However, on a couple occasions, both dials decided not to work at all but returned to normal after I took out the battery and reloaded it.

I've had lots of problems with both dials becoming inactive this afternoon, failing to appear on screen, disappearing, working ok after power off, then sometimes needing a battery re-insert..... etc etc.

I have just tried to reset to factory settings .... which just hung the camera and forced me to turn off and do a battery re-insert .......

None of the settings had 're-set' .... but the dial issue has vanished ..... for now .....:rolleyes:

This camera is top-heavy with software ..... which has not traditionally been Leicas strong point :o ....... new users habitually do odd things by mistake .... which can generate unforseen coding conflicts and errors that normal testing doesn't throw up..........

Hopefully whatever I did to generate this won't be repeated ....... we will see....:p

Mine .... and I think all current are shipping with 1.1 ..... this is the only option on the Leica website ...... are you implying, Jono, that this has been modified and needs a re-install from the Leica site....?????

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

I just finished talking with Leica USA. My left dial simply doesn't work. The box doesn't light up and it won't change the settings in any of the modes. They think I have gotten a bad dial and the camera goes back to the retailer tomorrow. Unfortunately, there are no replacements available until sometime next month. Didn't expect this from Leica, but I guess it happens to all manufacturers.:eek:

• Like 1

Guest Leicanew

Same issue here, dials not working sometimes on an otherwise very cool camera... asking Leica for help as we speak.

Edited by Leicanew

Same issue here, dials not working sometimes... asking Leica for help as we speak...

Mine is boxed and awaiting pick up and replacement with new stock as soon as my dealer has some (promised before the end of the month by Leica). Leica Mayfair have had no reports of similar activity ... and fairly predictably when I took it to them it would not misbehave ........

I've also had problems with the camera sometimes not recognising the 23/2 and just producing a grey screen .... needs a battery drop-out and re-do ...... and when the dials do work ok the R sometimes drops me into the Wi-fi screen ...... It is all patternless and completely unpredictable.....

I think it probably only happens with the EVF on and may be a voltage issue .... maybe due to the battery not being up to full performance till re-charged a few times.......

Either way I got fed up with the unreliability and my dealer is exchanging it .....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Mine is boxed and awaiting pick up and replacement with new stock as soon as my dealer has some (promised before the end of the month by Leica). Leica Mayfair have had no reports of similar activity ... and fairly predictably when I took it to them it would not misbehave ........

I've also had problems with the camera sometimes not recognising the 23/2 and just producing a grey screen .... needs a battery drop-out and re-do ...... and when the dials do work ok the R sometimes drops me into the Wi-fi screen ...... It is all patternless and completely unpredictable.....

I think it probably only happens with the EVF on and may be a voltage issue .... maybe due to the battery not being up to full performance till re-charged a few times.......

Either way I got fed up with the unreliability and my dealer is exchanging it .....

HI There

I saw this in one of the prototype versions - and very occasionally on the current one. Do you think it happened most when the battery was running down? I'm not sure, but I suspect that it does. Also, like you, I've only seen it happen with the EVF on . . .but I'm not certain.

Sorry yours has to go back though, what a bummer (couldn't you keep it until stock is available?)

all the best

• Like 1

Completely patternless ...... except the problem vanishing when shown to Leica employees ....:o:D

My dealer will deliver and collect at the same time ..... but as I got fed up with it, it is boxed up waiting to go ....

.....anyway it arrived with an APO 50/2 ...... and there are other leica 'duties' ;) to perform ......so I am otherwise engaged for now with its big brother........

steve

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

Guest Leicanew

Just found the reason for my non-working dials; locking the focus or taking a picture immediately after switching the camera on without leaving the camera starting up fully, renders both dials useless.

I hope a faster start-up time is fixed in the next firmware version

Edited by Leicanew
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, Leica does not have the best reputation on firmware updates. I hope they wake up and realize that it will cost them business but until customers start voting with their wallet they will continue to be lax about firmware. Just check the M thread for how long they have been waiting for firmware to fix a variety of issues and that camera has been out for nearly 2 years.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Leica does not have the best reputation on firmware updates. I hope they wake up and realize that it will cost them business but until customers start voting with their wallet they will continue to be lax about firmware. Just check the M thread for how long they have been waiting for firmware to fix a variety of issues and that camera has been out for nearly 2 years.

Hi John

Actually, there was quite a quick firmware update for the M. A more elaborate one is apparently about due

There has already been one update for the T, and I'm sure there will be another one before too long.

But I agree with you in principle, they're too slow!

• Like 2

Just found the reason for my non-working dials; locking the focus or taking a picture immediately after switching the camera on without leaving the camera starting up fully, renders both dials useless.

I hope a faster start-up time is fixed in the next firmware version

That's interesting. Do you mean that half pressing the shutter when switching on does it? Or perhaps eve when waking from sleep? It's happened to me as well, but only with M or R lenses attached, only occasionally, and only low batteries seemed relevant (and then only sometimes).

I'm sure that repeatable behaviour would be very useful in getting this occasional issue fixed fast. Anyone else see this?

• Like 1