Water damaged M8.2

Larsnl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you think they would do that?

I think it will work at least if I take of the buttom and top plate. But I doubt that there's still any moisture in there though.

Getting the moisture out is not the problem. That's the easy part.

The problem is the contamination, oxidation, and deposits that are left. That's just the electronics.

Then there is all the mechanical parts that will have the same issues.

You won't know how bad it all is until you do a post mortum, but you can start with the simple things like inspecting the battery terminals and contacts to see if there is signs of corrosion there, then a slow methodical disassembly to determine the condition of the rest of the system.

You may get lucky and not see much or any damage. At that point you might want to just quit and send it into Leica for an estimate. It could be something reasonably inexpensive to fix.

BUT, if you damage it in the process of tearing it down you could easily turn it into a pile of junk.

Tread lightly.

Ok. I've already manage to take it apart, and to me, it looks pretty darn clean. The only thing I found was on the board in front of the screen, where the ground(?) connectors are to the backside of the camera. See in the top of second to last photo. Though I can't see how this could ruin it. Plus a tiny white spot on a brown wire (flat) under the camera (see pic with black circle. How ever, it doesn't seem to touch the actual leaders.

IMG_0796_zps36f2a546.jpg

IMG_0794_zps6575f6f1.jpg

IMG_0793_zps25b893fa.jpg

IMG_0792_zpsb243c4d2.jpg

IMG_0790_zpsd5699799.jpg

IMG_0789_zps9d2d6622.jpg

IMG_0788_zpsa6141332.jpg

IMG_0798_zps9f757471.jpg

IMG_0787222_zpsa2b347c2.png

I hope you tried a new battery before disassembling the camera. :eek:

Jeff

Nope. I didn't wanna put any current in it before I had checked if there was any corrosion. The previous owner did try with the old batteries (Don't know if they were broken or not). It isn't that fragile :) Was wearing gloves, and I've got a steady hand btw :)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Two weeks ago I repaired a water damaged Sony NEX-6 which has travelled from Thailand to Turkey over two weeks after I scored it over eBay. I don't know how long it waited after damage. It was dry when arrived. :) There were several corrosion marks on many flex cables and circuit boards and magnesium body parts (nastiest). The first thing I checked were the fuses. They were fine. Then I used used a toothbrush and distilled water to clean all boards, connectors and the body parts. Then I used hot air gun to evaporate the wetness. Then I washed all parts with pure isopropyl alcohol. Again hot air. Then I put it together. Result? Perfect! :)

I have checked the photos you put over here. The IMG_0798 may have signs of corrosion on top left edge of the circuit board, between 3 power transistors. Otherwise the rest is very clean. You would be shocked if you saw the NEX-6 I repaired, sadly no photos.

I think you got yourself a steal. If you focus on the point I suggested above and make sure all connectors are cleaned with alcohol, it should work. If you can't bring it to life, sell it to me for 100 bucks! :)

Good luck!

K.

PS: By the way I repaired another water damaged DSLR (a canon 30D) many years ago. Sure, most water damaged electronics are beyond economical repair, but some can be done.

• Like 1

Two weeks ago I repaired a water damaged Sony NEX-6 which has travelled from Thailand to Turkey over two weeks after I scored it over eBay. I don't know how long it waited after damage. It was dry when arrived. :) There were several corrosion marks on many flex cables and circuit boards and magnesium body parts (nastiest). The first thing I checked were the fuses. They were fine. Then I used used a toothbrush and distilled water to clean all boards, connectors and the body parts. Then I used hot air gun to evaporate the wetness. Then I washed all parts with pure isopropyl alcohol. Again hot air. Then I put it together. Result? Perfect! :)

I have checked the photos you put over here. The IMG_0798 may have signs of corrosion on top left edge of the circuit board, between 3 power transistors. Otherwise the rest is very clean. You would be shocked if you saw the NEX-6 I repaired, sadly no photos.

I think you got yourself a steal. If you focus on the point I suggested above and make sure all connectors are cleaned with alcohol, it should work. If you can't bring it to life, sell it to me for 100 bucks! :)

Good luck!

K.

PS: By the way I repaired another water damaged DSLR (a canon 30D) many years ago. Sure, most water damaged electronics are beyond economical repair, but some can be done.

Thanks. This gives me hope :)

Ok. I've already manage to take it apart, and to me, it looks pretty darn clean. The only thing I found was on the board in front of the screen, where the ground(?) connectors are to the backside of the camera. See in the top of second to last photo. Though I can't see how this could ruin it. Plus a tiny white spot on a brown wire (flat) under the camera (see pic with black circle. How ever, it doesn't seem to touch the actual leaders.

This looks really, really encouraging.

I would try a freshly charged battery when you get one and cross your fingers, eyes, and toes.

If it is still DOA I would send it to Leica for an estimate.

Not to rain on your parade, but the dark side to all of this - is there a chance this could be a stolen camera?

This looks really, really encouraging.

I would try a freshly charged battery when you get one and cross your fingers, eyes, and toes.

If it is still DOA I would send it to Leica for an estimate.

Not to rain on your parade, but the dark side to all of this - is there a chance this could be a stolen camera?

I'm pretty sure it's not stolen. The dude I bought it from seems like a nice guy. He says that he had the camera checked at the local camera store, and that they said it's not worth the cost of repair. Don't know if they even opened it though.

I talked to the Leica dealer in Norway, and even they don't open the cameras. They just ship it to Germany. You know it's easy for the camera store to assume the damage is extensive, plus water damage is not covered by the warranty.

I'm pretty sure it's not stolen. The dude I bought it from seems like a nice guy. He says that he had the camera checked at the local camera store, and that they said it's not worth the cost of repair. Don't know if they even opened it though.

I talked to the Leica dealer in Norway, and even they don't open the cameras. They just ship it to Germany. You know it's easy for the camera store to assume the damage is extensive, plus water damage is not covered by the warranty.

Yup, and I think that shipping to Leica (assuming a new battery doesn't help) will probably get it fixed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lars,

the story of your battery and charger doesn't look good. Let us hope it will eventually arrive.

If you live in Oslo, I have an M8 and a spare battery. You can borrow the spare for day or so, just to try out your camera. I have been following this thread and am looking forward to see if your M8 still works :)

Just PM me, best wishes

HP

• 2 weeks later...
Today I borrowed a battery. Apparently it's not completely dead. The only thing that happened was that was saying "SD" in the viewfinder. And after I inserted the SD card, it didn't say anything. What does it mean?

Turn it off. Wait a few seconds...

Turn it back on...

Now hit the MENU button.

The rear LCD should bring up the menu.

No one touches digital LEICA Ms except LEICA, ASAIK.

Only in case they run out of spares time goes by, i. e. if a sensor supplier stops deliveries.

Normally a 2 to 3 week wait should be enough.

For a certain fee - invented by former Manager Lee - you can speed up things

considerably.

Best

GEORG