Sensor issue?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I happened to be an AD to day and they were just unboxing their second T701. It's a beautiful looking camera and feels hefty in the hands and comfortable to use. The touch screen is very quick and easy to configure the basics.

But here's a question. I was told that the T701's sensor would get dirty very quickly, unlike other Leica's, and would need to go back to Leica frequently to have the sensor cleaned. I was told that the first sample had been used for about 800 shots but would already need to go back to Leica.

Is this for real? I wasn't sure if this was a scare tactic (I'm not in a position to buy yet) so was a little confused by what I was being told. I would love to know what owners and experts here think this statement means.

MTIA

I can't imagine why it would be any diferent from any other mirror less interchangeable lens camera like the many 4:3 cameras out there. Certainly no problem in the few days that I've owned it and I've been changing lenses on it a lot.

- Vikas

I was told that the T701's sensor would get dirty very quickly, unlike other Leica's, and would need to go back to Leica frequently to have the sensor cleaned. I was told that the first sample had been used for about 800 shots but would already need to go back to Leica.

Clean your own sensor - it's a fact of life for me (my Monochrom dirties up very quickly).

• Like 1

It would only need to go back to Leica or a camera shop for cleaning if you found you were incapable of cleaning it yourself.

I don't know how the T functions, but if it is like other mirror less cameras the sensor is not covered by the shutter mechanism when idle, the shutter only crosses the sensor when an exposure is made. So I assume people think the sensor will therefore be more prone to dust, which it will without an automatic cleaning system.

As cleaning a sensor is not a skilled job I don't think it is anything to worry about, just do it yourself.

Steve

• Like 2

Well, there is plenty on the Internet. If there is one thing the camera does NOT need to be returned to Leica for, it is sensor cleaning. Easily done by the user as routine maintenance, many a camera shop offers the service and there are dedicated cleaning services too.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

Then I don't understand why the AD would be so vehement about this issue. Was he trying to put me off buying one? Yet he offered me the T brochure? Any clues as to his motivation?

He was probably afraid of the end user damaging the sensor.

With proper tools and care, it's not really a problem to clean a sensor.

I can imagine some folks mucking it up though. Some so-called sensor cleaning products aren't very good.

I like Photographic Solutions Eclipse fluid and their Sensor Swabs.

Any clues as to his motivation?

My guess would be that if you have to ask the question about sensor cleaning and show concern he thinks the camera may be too much trouble for you. Like a new Ferrari customer asking if it should be filled up with diesel or petrol, the salesman may come over in a cold sweat and feel faint.

Steve

This was a totally unprompted offering from him. I had already mentioned that I owned a couple of SLR bodies and a bag of lenses. I asked him if only the T had a dirty sensor issue and he said yes. He then offered me a brochure and did not try to lead me to other Leica cameras, so still not clear what the motive was. And he only sells Leica.

I was told that the T701's sensor would get dirty very quickly, unlike other Leica's, and would need to go back to Leica frequently to have the sensor cleaned. I was told that the first sample had been used for about 800 shots but would already need to go back to Leica.

First- There is absolutely no reason to send your camera back to Leica to clean the sensor. This is a user function that literally takes 5 minutes.

Second- All digital cameras need sensor cleaning. The T is no different in this regard. If an AD told you otherwise, he is incompetent.

Then I don't understand why the AD would be so vehement about this issue. Was he trying to put me off buying one? Yet he offered me the T brochure? Any clues as to his motivation?

My guess he is not trained properly. This is very basic digital camera knowledge, really a shame he represents a premiere brand like Leica.

IMO, a Leica dealer should know better. Personally, I would find a new AD.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

He was probably afraid of the end user damaging the sensor.

Lets be clear...you aren't cleaning the "sensor". You are cleaning a piece of glass in front of the sensor. If you are able to clean your lenses, you can clean the glass in front of the sensor.

Its not difficult in the least. Do a youtube search and you'll find a dozen 12 year old kids showing how its done :)

• Like 1

Lets be clear...you aren't cleaning the "sensor". You are cleaning a piece of glass in front of the sensor. If you are able to clean your lenses, you can clean the glass in front of the sensor.

Its not difficult in the least. Do a youtube search and you'll find a dozen 12 year old kids showing how its done :)

Exactly.

However, it is certainly possible to scratch, mar or leave residue on the cover glass. With due care and good cleaning products, it is not likely.

I have no problem cleaning my cameras' sensors - I'm just trying to answer the OP's question of why sensor cleaning may not have been mentioned.

• Like 1

First- There is absolutely no reason to send your camera back to Leica to clean the sensor. This is a user function that literally takes 5 minutes.

Second- All digital cameras need sensor cleaning. The T is no different in this regard. If an AD told you otherwise, he is incompetent.

My guess he is not trained properly. This is very basic digital camera knowledge, really a shame he represents a premiere brand like Leica.

IMO, a Leica dealer should know better. Personally, I would find a new AD.

He actually owns the store...

Cleaning the innards of a camera and lenses has never been a problem for me. This was about HAVING to send it back to Leica...

Exactly.

However, it is certainly possible to scratch, mar or leave residue on the cover glass. With due care and good cleaning products, it is not likely.

I have no problem cleaning my cameras' sensors - I'm just trying to answer the OP's question of why sensor cleaning may not have been mentioned.

Of course it is...but no more easy than scratching your lenses when you clean them. Does this same AD recommend you send back your Leica lenses every month to get cleaned?

Im sorry, but if my dealer told me that I had to send the camera back to get cleaned, and worse suggested that the T was more susceptible to getting dirty than any other camera, id find a new dealer.

There is an argument, I guess, that as the T doesn't have the vibrating sensor that the Sonys have or a shutter curtain (like the CCD sensors) that the T is more susceptible to sensor dust and dirt. To be honest, I've never been convinced that the vibration the A7r made when you turned it off achieved that much. On my M9, Monochrom and my T (and the A7r, for that matter) I have found I had dirty sensors - but in each case it was little droplets of oil splash. Shaking the camera wouldn't have done anything for it.

I was a bit shocked with the M9 when I first noticed these droplets. There was a lot of discussion here about it, and it seems that it is lubricant from the shutter (no other moving part in the T). With considerable trepidation, I had a go at cleaning the M9 sensor, with very limited success - actually, I think it was worse after my attempts and about $50 worth of sensor swabs. I took it to the local dealer and they had a go without much more success. I finally got it clean, but noticed an odd crazing in my images - clear blue skies had a weird pattern. So, back to Solms it went, and the sensor was replaced.

Since then, I have cleaned the sensors on my cameras reasonably frequently (particularly when I have tired of cleaning up spots in LightRoom) - it's easy to do, and if you keep on top of it, one sensor swab and a couple of drops of Eclipse do the job. Just a word of warning, though - the cover glass is not the sensor, but it is attached to it. Scratch the glass, and you're looking at a new sensor. Also, do not use more cleaning fluid than you need - two drops does it. You don't want fluid running over the glass and into the camera, or worse under the glass itself.

With both the M9 and the Monochrom, the sensor got dirty quite quickly when the camera was new, and the need for cleaning has subsided over time (maybe Leica is over lubricating). I'm hoping the T will prove to be the same.

Any dealer or store owner who looks shocked and tells you the camera needs to go back to Germany for a sensor clean either doesn't actually use a digital camera that much, is pulling your leg, or maybe just doesn't actually look that closely at the final pictures ...

Cheers

John

Maybe the owner didn't think a serious dSLR user was a likely customer for Leica products?

Not DSLR - film SLR

And I've never been in this dealer before, but he's recommended by others and has a gallery also. There was one other "customer" there who was also looking at the T before I arrived and heard the whole conversation.

Edited by Le Chef