Does the T have an AA filter?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Early on there was a lot of discussion about whether the T had an AA filter. First, it was said that it did have one, albeit a light one and then Leica said it did not have one. In Sean Reid's review he stated that he asked Leica and that it was confirmed that it did not have an AA filter. There was one puzzling aspect in his review and that was that the Ricoh GR that does not have an AA filter was showing more detail than the T. Like most here, I assumed that the T does not have an AA filter; however, when comparing the full EXIF data between the XV and the T, one of the recoded parameters is AA Filter strength. It is the same at 0.7 on both cameras. Is the EXIF wrong or did Leica not tell us the truth?

Below is a screen shot showing the data and here is a link to the complete files.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I communicated with Sean and he is certain that Leica said they removed the AA filter from all production cameras. He also believes it must be that they forgot to make the correction in the EXIF data file. I was off on the camera he was testing, it was the GXR A12, so both cameras were using the same lens. On the other hand, when compared to the K3 with no AA filter they were indistinguishable in resolution.

• Like 1

Hi John

I think it would be almost certain that they would have forgotten to change the exif information. I've had the discussion with Leica and with Sean, and the story is that the AA filter is removed - there are so many (and so confusing) exif tags nowadays that it's not even slightly surprising that it should be forgotten.

all the best

• Like 1