Weird Bands in DNG files

dv187736

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I ope someone can help me with this problem.

These weird bands appear only in the DNG files, none in Jpegs, and also do no show in the LCD. It becomes apparent only after uploading to Lightroom 5. True for ISO 160, 320 & 640 - higher ISO not tested. Problem manifested itself just recently, while previous shots had no problems. I am using ScanDisk 8GB SDHC Extreme.

I'd appreciate any input I get. Thanks.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I ope someone can help me with this problem.

These weird bands appear only in the DNG files, none in Jpegs, and also do no show in the LCD. It becomes apparent only after uploading to Lightroom 5. True for ISO 160, 320 & 640 - higher ISO not tested. Problem manifested itself just recently, while previous shots had no problems. I am using ScanDisk 8GB SDHC Extreme.

I'd appreciate any input I get. Thanks.

I'll bet you have a picture somewhere you took that matches that stripe you see.

I would also bet that if you tried a different memory car the problem would go away.

It looks like the card has an address fault where it falsely reads back from an erroneous part of the card memory.

I bought a new SanDisk 16GB Extreme. Formatted it in camera.

The first 5 shots were OK but the sixth photo (DNG) still showed the band. Hoping it is not the camera that has a problem, I downloaded the SD Formatter as suggested. It's midnight here at my end so I will update all tomorrow after taking test shots.

Thanks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I took some test shots after a formatting the SD card with the SD Formatted I downloaded from the net.

The results are the same, the bands are still there (DNG files, not in JPEG files).

Now, the funny thing is, I opened the DNG files using Photoshop CC and…the bands changed position and appears to be thicker. See the attached photos.

It seems the DNGs are intact in the SD considering LR and PS have different rendering of the same files, and the bands appear in different sections of the photos. I will now experiment with Jaapv's suggestion to clean the SD reader contacts or just replace the device.

I'd say the result is encouraging and the M8 may not need repair. Cross-fingers.

Thanks again.

I think the cause of this is that the SD card's index of which memory addresses or banks belong to which pictures (or which parts of which pictures) gets corrupted. More or less what Loren said.

If you want an old-timey analogy - your SD card dropped its Rolodex, and in putting things back together, got some names out of alphabetical order.

If you look at the third picture of your post #7 (cars) - the band is divided into two parts. On the right is a "natural color" section, and if you look closely, you will see that it is swapped from the left side of the picture - brown Volvo(?) door. To make room for that misplaced strip, the rest of the band (with magenta stain) is simply the right part of the band (silver/white van, including black wheel wells) shifted over to the left.

Below is that picture "reconstructed" by simply swapping around the full-color and magenta sections of the band. (the magenta stain is due to the card losing the green-channel data altogether for that section).

Most (but not all) of your other pictures show the same thing - the bands are parts of the same picture, jumbled linearly along the band, and with the green data "MIA" completely in one section.

Curious that jpegs are clean though.

My thought is that the JPEGs are smaller in size compared to the DNG and thus do not use some of the higher address lines in the memory write that are required to write the bigger DNG file.

That would point to a camera problem, but it would be interesting if dv187736 could try a different reader to confirm that.

• Like 1

Good analysis, Adan. Thanks.

LCT, Loren, I too was baffled why only the DNGs were affected, and also why LR & PS shows the bands in different sections of the same photos.

Anyway, I got a new SD reader. I read the previous photos to see if the bands were still present. Yes, the bands were still there.

I formatted the SD card then took a coupe of test shots. The photos do not have the problem bands anymore! Though I only took very few shots, the result is definitely encouraging. I will run more tests tomorrow and keep you guys posted.

Cheers

• Like 1

Good analysis, Adan. Thanks.

LCT, Loren, I too was baffled why only the DNGs were affected, and also why LR & PS shows the bands in different sections of the same photos.

Anyway, I got a new SD reader. I read the previous photos to see if the bands were still present. Yes, the bands were still there.

I formatted the SD card then took a coupe of test shots. The photos do not have the problem bands anymore! Though I only took very few shots, the result is definitely encouraging. I will run more tests tomorrow and keep you guys posted.

Cheers

I'll keep my fingers and eyes crossed for you!

Hi All,

Just to report that all my test shots todays are clear and no bands present. This using a new SD reader.

To conclude, nothing is wrong with my M8 and the old SD car reader was faulty causing the bands in the photos.

One small thing though, Lightroom is crashing whenever I read the photos including the ones it successfully read yesterday - but Photoshop and iPhoto have read then without issue. But this is a different issue I need to resolve myself.

I would like to thank all of you for the help and suggestions towards resolving this issue. It's super!

• Like 1

Hi All,

Just to report that all my test shots todays are clear and no bands present. This using a new SD reader.

To conclude, nothing is wrong with my M8 and the old SD car reader was faulty causing the bands in the photos.

One small thing though, Lightroom is crashing whenever I read the photos including the ones it successfully read yesterday - but Photoshop and iPhoto have read then without issue. But this is a different issue I need to resolve myself.

I would like to thank all of you for the help and suggestions towards resolving this issue. It's super!

Good news about locating trouble with the card reader...

As to the DNG crashing LR, you might try "converting" a few DNG files with Adobe DNG Converter (DNG in, DNG out) to see if that avoids the crashing.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the green streak and the flash of light, you may have captured the Green Lantern in flight..... :)

But other than that, I don't know, especially if that is the only image where it is evident. Would suggest you try shooting some photos in similar conditions (with a light source in around the same place) at the same ISO and shutter speed to see if you can replicate the issue, and, if so, try shooting at other settings as well.

Failing that, it could be lens flare, but it seems rather uniform to be that....