Leica T Systems + Etc Nowhere to be Found!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the reply and I noticed you feel camera is as responsive as a iphone 5 ( btw same phone I have )

Wonder why the "Verge " review says camera is so slow and to them less responsive than 3 year old Android phone?

All other reviews more positive )))

Dan

I have no idea. If it was slow, I would say it was slow. The only two slow things are the AF and the image viewing. It takes about a ½ second for the image to appear after the swipe up or down. However, so far I have found the AF to be accurate. I understand that the AF is faster with the 23mm prime but I wanted the zoom. Selecting actions on tiles is instantaneous and moving the tiles is quick and easy once you get the hang of it since it works a little different than the way you move apps on the iPhone. There is some shutter lag due to the AF speed. It is slow to wake up from sleep and startup time could be better. Even if you don't let the camera go to sleep but just have the LCD turn off after 1 minute, turning back on after a ½ push can take about 1.5 sec. It would be great if auto review could be turned off but I set it to zoom and that seems to take less than a second so it isn't quite as bad.

I have no idea. If it was slow, I would say it was slow. The only two slow things are the AF and the image viewing. It takes about a ½ second for the image to appear after the swipe up or down. However, so far I have found the AF to be accurate. I understand that the AF is faster with the 23mm prime but I wanted the zoom. Selecting actions on tiles is instantaneous and moving the tiles is quick and easy once you get the hang of it since it works a little different than the way you move apps on the iPhone. There is some shutter lag due to the AF speed. It is slow to wake up from sleep and startup time could be better. Even if you don't let the camera go to sleep but just have the LCD turn off after 1 minute, turning back on after a ½ push can take about 1.5 sec. It would be great if auto review could be turned off but I set it to zoom and that seems to take less than a second so it isn't quite as bad.

John have you kept your XV, or sold it in favour of the T ?

• 2 weeks later...
The picture quality is very good. I think it is slightly better than the XV but, honestly, it is close. I like the way the camera handles and the menu system is responsive and as quick as my iPhone 5 (may not match the 5S) You can see some JPG and DNG shots I took at the beach today. Nothing artistic just trying to capture people having fun and enjoying what was a beautiful day.

San Clemente, CA

sorry to say, but picture quality is better on xVario! I still have my xVario and the zoom of xVario is a dream... no Chromatic aberration, macro function ......

Edited by alexander

sorry to say, but picture quality is better on xVario! I still have my xVario and the zoom of xVario is a dream... no Chromatic aberration, macro function ......

...... I would tend to agree ...... with regard to the zoom offered with the T ...... but performance with any decent prime M lens is as good or better than the XV.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I no longer have the XV so I can't do a direct comparison. In build and operation, I prefer the XV zoom lens; however, in my own informal testing where I compare shots taken with each of the same subject, I see slightly better detail (in the center where I have concentrated my comparisons) with the T zoom. This could be due to not having an AA filter an may not be due to the lens, I have no way to tell.

By the way, I spoke with Leica NJ today and they told me it has been two weeks since they received any cameras and they have not been told why. They are expecting a shipment any day now but they don't know what they will receive. It could be accessories and not cameras. I noticed the Miami store no longer says expected soon but now shows unavailable for the camera, lens and many accessories.

Edited by barjohn
  • Like 1

Anyone else having troubles getting even one component of the Leica T system?

I preordered the day after the announcement, and haven't even gotten an estimated ship date, only a "guess."

I managed to snag a body and an EVF from some random shop in NYC, but haven't found EITHER of the lenses anywhere, even for a split second.

Thoughts? Tips? Amazing how constrained this all seems... but I'm new to Leica, so maybe this isn't a new thing. ;)

Some companies, like Leica and Sigma, will announce products many moons before they become available to the buying public. Others, like Sony and Nikon, have a very short lead time.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Leica did build inventory in advance of the XV announcement and found themselves with a lot of inventory they couldn't sell when they botched the marketing roll-out. This time they decided to wait and see if the demand was there before committing to build inventory or committing to their subs to build inventory, hence the delay in getting much other than the initial limited production run. I seriously doubt the rumor of 20,000 orders in Europe when I have heard numbers like 200 for the US.