Interesting M8 Review ....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i mostly agree with the review with the exception of the part about shutter lag. i also disagree that a rebel is as good as a 5d. ive been hitting shots early as well. seems faster than my m6. i agree about the status symbol thing. loads of leica "collectors" out there. possibly a majority of leica owners own them for the status and have no idea how to use them properly. this review is a blog, he is entitled to his opinion and it will not affect leicas sales nor will it affect canons sales to say the rebel is as good as a 5d. anyone buying a $5000 rangefinder is going to do their research or not care in the first place as long as the dot is red. reality.....b

Hi Brad,

I don't know if it will hurt sales but there may be photographers who really could benefit from this camera and they may read no further than Mike's article. Again, that's unfortunate.

Cheers,

Sean

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i understand the sentiment but if you care, you gotta "kick the wheels" before you buy a pricey DRF (thanks for the term). if you like rangefinders, you'll probably like the m8 the second it comes to your eye. if you like man jewellery-you'll buy. if you buy "the next best thing" whenever it comes out-you just might hate the m8 and return it. 2p....b

Perhaps my comment in another thread on the topic doesn't bear repeating, but to me the saddest aspect of Mike's Pro/Con articles was that he did exactly what his girlfriend did, except in reverse. He borrowed a camera for a week, shot a few pictures and pronounced it unworthy and overpriced, where she listened to the audio equipment for a couple minutes, pronounced it adequate and bought it.

Call that what you will--failing to see snobbery in reverse snobbery, failing to recognize that in criticizing the girl for not understanding the equipment he is criticizing his own methodology--formally it brings the whole post into question: If she's wrong not to do more research, then he's certainly to be painted with the same brush.

--HC

also sean...anyone that would benefit from owning this camera probably reads reid reviews anyway and could weigh the opinions easily.

A lot of M8 owners do read the site but I'm sure many have never heard of it. Frankly, there are some very important weaknesses of the M8 that are discussed at length on RR. In the end, though, I suppose a good consumer will do his or her research on the M8 - unless reading Mike's blog has convinced them its not worth learning more about.

Oh well....

Cheers,

Sean

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps my comment in another thread on the topic doesn't bear repeating, but to me the saddest aspect of Mike's Pro/Con articles was that he did exactly what his girlfriend did, except in reverse. He borrowed a camera for a week, shot a few pictures and pronounced it unworthy and overpriced, where she listened to the audio equipment for a couple minutes, pronounced it adequate and bought it.

Call that what you will--failing to see snobbery in reverse snobbery, failing to recognize that in criticizing the girl for not understanding the equipment he is criticizing his own methodology--formally it brings the whole post into question: If she's wrong not to do more research, then he's certainly to be painted with the same brush.

--HC

...a relationship is just a mirror....

...a relationship is just a mirror....

Good point, but that one apparently didn't last very long. If you read Mike Johnston for a while -- which I have because he is a very interesting writer -- you learn that he has a lot of pent-up attitudes about class and snobbery. Comes from having rich relatives and living a hand-to-mouth existence as artist, editor, teacher, web-savant... We just caught a major dollop of it in the face, from the savant I presume.

scott