Interesting M8 Review ....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...... Mike's writing carries some weight and there's a potential for some people to get some incorrect information from that review.......

Sean - It's already happening, and with Mike's blog currently proclaiming it's 4 millionth visitor, his sloppy journalism will keep turning up in web searches on the M8 and will carry credibility. There's an old political saying [attributable to a former UK Prime Minister ], that 'a lie is half way around the world before truth has got it's boots on'.

..................Chris

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to add context to all this with some history......

Many moons ago, when the Canon 5D came out & photographers were going ga-ga over it's ground-breaking image quality for the price & camera size, Mike wrote a dissenting post where he noted he was unimpressed with the camera's images & didn't see what the fuss was all about for it's price.

Of course, the Canon forum guys jumped on him & asked where he was coming up with this charge. Even Michael Reichmann pitched in that Mike was a good friend, but that he was way off base on this judgement. Sound familiar now Sean?

Eventually Mike apologized on the forum & said everyone should chill, it's just one man's opinion, etc, you'd think he'd offended people's religion, go out take pictures if you like it, etc, etc ....

Of course interestingly at about this time, he had professed his love for the Konica Minolta DSLR, which he had bought. It's a camera that the prominent (read :more objective) reviewers on the internet noted produced images of very average quality, even within the humble 6 Megapixel arena. No matter, he loved it's viewfinder & anti-shake so to each his own.

Fast forward present day & once again Mike makes some crazy generalizations about the M8 images & handling based on shallow, arguably faulty testing. The photographers who've put the camera through much more rigorous tests & comparisons jump on him about this & he gets all defensive in his blog, portraying the forum posters here as overly sensitive quasi Jesus-freaks (again note the analogy to irrational religious fundamentalism made).

The ironic clincher is he believes the entry-level Canon is just as good if not better (note he never even mentioned the Canon 5D whose images he liked initially less than his Konica camera).

I don't mean all this to knock the guy. I read his blog frequently & love his writing. There are many subject areas in photograpy I greatly respect his opinions on.

However, as history has shown, judging the image quality of high-end digital cameras is just not his forte.

I rest my case....

Guest stnami

Guy I never said D luxs or GRDs were better cameras just an example of what is easier to use.................... forgot to take your pills this morning as you spoke to the sun

Guest guy_mancuso

I don't need any pills to see insults being tossed around like hot potatoes coming from you . Re read your comment and i quote "But then again the reason for the ordinary shots on this forum could be is that the camera is harder to use than everyone here envisions". Certainly like to know what made you the authority on imaging to even make a lame comment like that. maybe you simply don't realize your comments in many cases come across as insults, there are many non pro's here that maybe just starting out that could probably benefit from your help than the off cue comments. Something to actually think about.

Here is another and i quote

B&W it is great but not many seem to take advantage of its strength......................... just waiting for a leather strap to make it work better.

No Imants i am just calling it as i see it and so are others. You do as you please just stay away from me is all I ask.

Guest stnami

Exactly that people here are not using the camera to what it is capable. There is no insult in that but what overides your comments is that you detest and hate me. other than that have a look at the images on this thread.

A heck of a lot here are more interested in the camera than anything else

....... aren't you the one that accussed me of taking drugs etc ...... tsk tsk

anyway ...........shrug

As someone out there said get taking and show us the strengths of the camera, B&W it is great but not many seem to take advantage of its strength...

Well now, some of us are...to the tune of thousands of pictures. Remember that there's a lot of work going on out there that doesn't get posted on forums. Here's one from over a month of working intensively with the M8 in Florida.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love this camera. I like it better than any other camera I've ever used and it works beautifully for the kinds of pictures I make.

Follow up to Gianni Galassi's comments (from T.O.P. and re-posted at http://www.leica-camera-user.com/leica-m8-forum/23059-interesting-m8-review-3.html#post243014):

The follow-up poster at T.O.P. made one possibly interesting point: "Hopefully your remarks won't be discredited because your exhibition is sponsored by Epson..."

By the way, does anyone else miss Blasko Ferenc, as I do? His over-the-top humor was always able to put to bed such seething unrest. :)

--HC

Guest stnami

I know there is a heck of a lot of good work out there and have to work damn hard to get their colours right. That's the part that goes begging for me having to get the colours right so I can get them wrong. Just a severe lack of interesting work on the digital forum.......... the film guys are still producing better work in general, then they know their cameras

Gianni Galassi does some great architectural stuff

ps Sean is that a trademark of yours the person walking across the frame

Another...these are all digital work prints but that's OK.

I know there is a heck of a lot of good work out there and have to work damn hard to get their colours right. That's the part that goes begging for me having to get the colours right so I can get them wrong. Just a severe lack of interesting work on the digital forum.......... the film guys are still producing better work in general, then they know their cameras

Gianni Galass does some great architectural stuff

ps Sean is that a trademark of yours the person walking across the frame

The first picture? That's a door frame, actually but I do use figures that way sometimes too.

About the M8 color, if one wants "accurate" color, coding, filters and the new C1 profile (all together) nail that pretty well. For commercial color work, that's what I do now. But for my own work (in color, which is rare for me), I'm increasingly interested in letting the camera "have its head" - let it make the color it wants to make, reds and all. I learned that from Bergman (he and I used to talk when I was in NYC) and I should have realized sooner with the M8 that its best to "print the negative". Accurate - schmaccurate sometimes.

another...

Here's the M8 bareback in color...no filters...no coding....print the negative

Thanks. I suspect there's a lot of interesting work being made with the M8 right now but it isn't necessarily being posted to forums. A lot of people come to forums to sort out technical things and, in photography, there's a lot of technical stuff. I suspect Bill Christenberry is working with an M8 now or will be. There are others, I'm sure.

Guest sirvine
Thanks for the images, the camera suits your work:)

Even this comes across as an insult. Would you prefer the image with some incomprehensible comic sans text and an ellipsis on top?

Even this comes across as an insult. Would you prefer the image with some incomprehensible comic sans text and an ellipsis on top?

Hi Sol,

Thanks very much for the thought behind this post but I don't think Imants was insulting my work at all - unless I very much misunderstood. I don't think he was being sarcastic or ironic.

Also...whenever I put work out on a forum (which isn't very often) I do it knowing that anything can happen. I put these up to support my assertion that many of us are working quite intensively with the M8 - yes, we discuss it a lot but we also are trying to wear it out (in the best sense).

Cheers,

Sean

i mostly agree with the review with the exception of the part about shutter lag. i also disagree that a rebel is as good as a 5d. ive been hitting shots early as well. seems faster than my m6. i agree about the status symbol thing. loads of leica "collectors" out there. possibly a majority of leica owners own them for the status and have no idea how to use them properly. this review is a blog, he is entitled to his opinion and it will not affect leicas sales nor will it affect canons sales to say the rebel is as good as a 5d. anyone buying a $5000 rangefinder is going to do their research or not care in the first place as long as the dot is red. reality.....b