Firmware Request(s)

Since all the relevant connections are electronic it would be great to see an additional implementation of the metering modes.

- In manual mode, taking the shutter speed one step beyond max speed could enter aperture priority auto mode.

- In manual mode, taking the aperture one step beyond minimum aperture could enter shutter priority auto mode.

- doing both of the above could enter Program mode.

If you enter P mode this way, moving either dial in another direction would take you out of it. If you enter P more using the rear screen the two dials could continue to behave as they do.

Just initial thoughts. Doubtless there som gotchas I have not considered.

Fix low light behavior of LCD and EVF so brightness matches image produced (preview). I think that is what Leica intended but it isn't what we get. Changing ISO does not gain up display. I even tried going to manual brightness on LCD rather than auto and it made no difference.

• Like 2

Fix low light behavior of LCD and EVF so brightness matches image produced (preview). I think that is what Leica intended but it isn't what we get. Changing ISO does not gain up display. I even tried going to manual brightness on LCD rather than auto and it made no difference.

Hi John

I do agree with you here - do you find it the same with both M and T lenses? I thought it was only a problem with M lenses (but I could be wrong).

All the best

The option to shoot DNG only.

A better file optimization at DNG level (read fringing and chromatic noise containment)

Cheers,

Bruno

Can't.

Both X-Vario and T use the JPEG's for display etc.

Presumably because the overheads of pocessing DNG's in camera would slow things down even more. Compare the zooming in and display speed on the M and you will see why .....

You can always set to use the lowest res jpg ....... but checking the images afterwards becomes quite difficult on screen if you want to be certain about focus etc.....

Both X-Vario and T use the JPEG's for display etc.

Presumably because the overheads of pocessing DNG's in camera would slow things down even more.

Either the camera displays the JPEG preview embedded in the raw file or it displays the separately stored JPEG. The camera could generate a preview from the raw data on the fly, which takes exactly as long as creating a JPEG file because it is essentially the same thing.

There isn’t a big difference between creating a JPEG and embedding it in the raw file or creating it as a separate file in its own right (arguably the latter is more useful).

Edited by mjh

A better file optimization at DNG level (read fringing and chromatic noise containment)

You cannot correct chromatic aberration at the raw file level (this requires demosaiced RGB data) and what early-stage noise suppression can be done is already applied in the sensor.

I'd like to be able to make exposures longer than 30 seconds.

No chance.

Leica has made a philosphical decision regarding low light performance and quality and actively prevents you taking crappy high noise images with exposures >30secs. :eek:

Limitation seems to apply across the board to all recent cameras ......:rolleyes:

The camera could generate a preview from the raw data on the fly, which takes exactly as long as creating a JPEG file because it is essentially the same thing.

...... then why does it take the M forever to read a dng and zoom in ...... ?

The display resolution on the XV and T appear to be pegged to the JPG resolution you have set to store the images..... everything is done for a reason ..... and I am sure it is to avoid converting DNG's and adding the lens corrections every time you view ....

...... then why does it take the M forever to read a dng and zoom in ...... ?

The display resolution on the XV and T appear to be pegged to the JPG resolution you have set to store the images..... everything is done for a reason ..... and I am sure it is to avoid converting DNG's and adding the lens corrections every time you view ....

Creating a JPEG always takes the same time, whether you do it immediately after the shot or on-the-fly in playback or review mode. In the latter case the camera can only display a small embedded preview, to be replaced by the full-resolution version once it is ready. I rather prefer the camera storing a full-resolution image, either as an embedded JPEG or (preferably) as a separate file. That is I prefer the approach Leica has taken with the X and T. The processing speed has nothing to do with it; it is the same process, just executed at different times.

Creating a JPEG always takes the same time, whether you do it immediately after the shot or on-the-fly in playback or review mode. In the latter case the camera can only display a small embedded preview, to be replaced by the full-resolution version once it is ready. I rather prefer the camera storing a full-resolution image, either as an embedded JPEG or (preferably) as a separate file. That is I prefer the approach Leica has taken with the X and T. The processing speed has nothing to do with it; it is the same process, just executed at different times.

I'm with Michael on this one - just occasionally it's good to have both files, and it's always possible to delete stuff you don't need . . . but if you don't have it, you don't have it!

John, this is true for (or maybe only noticeable in Manual mode. If I am looking either through the EVF or the LCD, In aperture preferred, and I change the ISO, the camera is showing the taking exposure, with adjusted shutter speed. The sence looks the same because it is the same. In S preferred, it is adjusting the f/stop as it should. In M mode, itdoes not show changes in exposure. Manual mode is where I would want to see what the changes are but don't.

The problem is in very low light the displays are very dark but the taken image is much brighter when reviewed. What you see is not what you get. On some cameras you can chose to have the display gain up for framing and focus then go to preview to see what you will actually get.

• Like 1

The problem is in very low light the displays are very dark but the taken image is much brighter when reviewed. What you see is not what you get. On some cameras you can chose to have the display gain up for framing and focus then go to preview to see what you will actually get.

Thanks. I had not noticed this because I had not done very low light. Obviously the camera is adjusting to wysiwyg in "normal" circumstances so it is capable of doing it but needs better calibration via firmware.

• Like 1