Leica T App, 1 iPhone and no WIFI. Now it works

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you're running enterprise services on your phone for work, you're not allowed to unlock it. I mean, you can, but it then locks you out of all your work email and VPN stuff.

My NEX-6 generates the wifi ad-hoc network. Leica has no excuse for this shoddy setup.

My employer would not have appreciated my using his phone for my hobby.

To me it seems that AT&T do not have an excuse for their shoddy setup. It appears that many other carriers offer more useful settings to their customers.

There. Now can we stop the finger pointing party, please.

I am surprised that AT&T charges for tethering.

Here in Canada , I have used hotspot mode on my iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.1 with no issues ( FIDO ) and when I was with Rogers 3 years ago and had iPhone 3GS, I was able to use hotspot.

In both cases no extra charge incurred using my iPhone as hotspot - just limited to amount of data of plan if not in area of wifi.

Dan

Unfortunately, it is my private telephone that I must use for work. Our office went to "Bring Your Own Device," and they only subsidize the plan when I'm out of the country.

Tethering is an expensive option on any carrier in the US unless you've "cracked" your phone, which you can't do if you need to be able to access secure enterprise systems.

But hey, I guess if you can't afford that extra $40+ a month for tethering, you can't afford a Leica anyway.

(But that doesn't make it any less poorly engineered and implemented.)

Now it's $40 per month?

AT&T - Stay connected on the go with DataConnect and get access to AT&T's nationwide 4G LTE network for your tablet, notebook, netbook, mobile hotspot, gaming device, camera, and USB modem. All data plans include unlimited usage on the entire national AT&T Wi-Fi HotSpot network.

T-Mobile - Un-carrier's Flagship $50 Simple Choice Plan with Unlimited Data, Talk and Text Now With Double the 4G LTE Data, Double the 4G LTE Tethering, More Roaming Countries, and Unlimited International Texting To Virtually Anywhere - All at No Extra Charge

Verizon - harder to track down, but Wired refers to a $20 add-n for tethering. Their Everything plan is $160 per month for 4 devices!

All sounds like usury by the service providers, but you do seem to have quite a lot of choice in the US ...

• Like 1

The quote about the AT&T plan is the wrong bit of information. They have a network of their own hotspots that you can connect to all over the US. For instance, it used to be at every Starbucks in the US. This is completely different than creating your own hotspot. They put these hotspots in heavily travelled areas to cut down the cellular congestion.

You need this (which is $20 more than their regular 3GB plan):

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/services/datapro5gb-iphone-sku5480226.html

Now it's $40 per month?

AT&T - Stay connected on the go with DataConnect and get access to AT&T's nationwide 4G LTE network for your tablet, notebook, netbook, mobile hotspot, gaming device, camera, and USB modem. All data plans include unlimited usage on the entire national AT&T Wi-Fi HotSpot network.

T-Mobile - Un-carrier's Flagship $50 Simple Choice Plan with Unlimited Data, Talk and Text Now With Double the 4G LTE Data, Double the 4G LTE Tethering, More Roaming Countries, and Unlimited International Texting To Virtually Anywhere - All at No Extra Charge

Verizon - harder to track down, but Wired refers to a $20 add-n for tethering. Their Everything plan is $160 per month for 4 devices!

All sounds like usury by the service providers, but you do seem to have quite a lot of choice in the US ...

Edited by TEBnewyork
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The quote about the AT&T plan is the wrong bit of information. They have a network of their own hotspots that you can connect to all over the US. For instance, it used to be at every Starbucks in the US. This is completely different than creating your own hotspot. They put these hotspots in heavily travelled areas to cut down the cellular congestion.

In the AT&T fine print, linked in my post:

Tethering and Mobile Hotspot use are permitted with up to five (5) simultaneous devices.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is saying it is impossible to tether with AT&T, just that it costs too much and you lose your historic unlimited data plan.

Guest JonathanP

Whether a hotspot can be setup out of data coverage or if the iphone is unlocked is a red herring.

When you activate an iphone in iTunes, Apple downloads a carrier configuration file to your phone that controls what features are available (including personal hotspot, the ability to switch 3G on/off etc). This carrier file is defined by the carrier for your contract, it doesn't matter whether the phone is unlocked or not. This explains why some people can make this work, others cannot. It makes no difference whether you are in coverage or not.

So, Jono's instructions will be useful for some people, but not all. And for those that have the hotspot disabled by their carrier file then I suspect there's no joy until Leica implement ad-hoc mode.

HTH

Jonathan

• Like 1

Guest JonathanP
Only for a locked phone. An unlocked one must be able to accommodate different providers.

Nope. You are confusing the ability to use any SIM (unlocked) with the carrier file that is downloaded for the network that you activated the phone against. The feature locks are determined by the carrier file. If you have an unlocked phone you can then drop in another network's SIM, but unless you activate against that SIM you will inherit the carrier file from the activation network.

• Like 1

I am prepared to believe you, but I rather doubt this. All my iPhones ( five in total) have always been configured exactly the same, despite being activated by four different providers.

Even now I have two, one provided by KPN, one by Vodaphone and they are exactly identical, except of course for their first preference when searching for signal.

But then, I have yet to experience a feature lock. I am sure it would be suicide for a provider over here to even attempt it. And for Apple - people would return their iPhone in droves because it did not perform to the specifications and the manual.

Edited by jaapv

Guest JonathanP

Oh I don't disbelieve you Jaapv, how much the providers clamp down on these extra features does vary from country to country, so often you will get a similar set of contract features in any one market due to commercial pressures. Providers in the US particularly seem to enjoy having these feature controls to allow them to monitise their customers.

I'm on Three in the UK, and they have removed the 3G/2G toggle from the carrier settings menu because people use to turn off 3G in order to roam onto their partners 2G network to get better coverage, costing Three more to provide service. Thats done via the carrier file.

Edited by jperkins

Vodaphone CS advised me yesterday to turn off 3G on the iPhone I use in the car, in order to get more constant reception whn driving.....:rolleyes:

I'm sure our regulating body, the OPTA would come down on the companies rather heavily if they tried something like this.

The network infrastructure is managed centrally, not by the individual companies btw

Edited by jaapv

I am really annoyed. Annoyed by myself for reading through one the least informative and most unnecesarily contentious thread since we stopped having political discussions in the bar.

• Like 4

On those ATT quotes talking about Mobile Hotspots, they are not referring to a function of a phone. They sell a small Motorola 4g hotspot for tethering multiple devices, and it requires a subscription fee and data package -- unless you get one of those all devices share data plans.

Edited by JeTexas
Replied to the wrong quote, so I took it out.

I am really annoyed. Annoyed by myself for reading through one the least informative and most unnecesarily contentious thread since we stopped having political discussions in the bar.

I'm ashamed to have contributed to it with such gusto (perhaps I shouldn't have bothered to start it even):o:(:mad:

Your heart was pure, Jono, and your initial post was helpful. It works perfectly for me thanks to your step-by-step advice.

Edited by Guest
grammar improvement

I have spent a hour trying to get the iPad version of the app to work ....... I have an O2 sim that allows hotspot set up with no issues ..... but unfotunately the app doesn't work ..... or rather I got it to work once but not in a useable fashion.

The camera connects to the hotspot no problem and the ipad says hotspot active and one device connected but the app either comes up with no wifi connection or tries to connect to the T via my home network .... and taking it out of range just results in 'no wi-fi' connection.

It DID work ...... once ...... when I connected the T to the hotspot, and whilst it was connected to iTunes deleted the app and reinstalled it ...... then when it fired up it saw the hotspot network and connected to the T and worked fine ...... till I disconnected and then it was back to it trying to connect via my home network. Forgetting all the other networks on the iPad didn't help, as did multiple other bits of fiddling about with network access.

It appears the app is defaulting to any network it can find and refusing to use the one generated by the hotspot.....

If it didn't work at all I would just be fed up ... but the fact I did get it to work but the process involved is so stupid is absolutely infuriating ....:mad:

Anyone else had a go and succeeded ?

Trying to connect it via my home network doesn't work at all ..... despite the camera saying it is connected..... :o

• Like 1

Anyone else had a go and succeeded ?

Trying to connect it via my home network doesn't work at all ..... despite the camera saying it is connected..... :o

I did - I took a lot of snaps of people's knees from my ipad in a tube train. . . . . and I can get it to work with my home network too.

My trouble is that repeated testing is more than I can be bothered to do - clearly it needs some more work done on it - but it's not clear under what circumstances it does work, and what circumstances it doesn't. I have neither the patience nor the interest to really find out

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry for this defeatist message - I really can make it work!

• Like 1