Leica T App, 1 iPhone and no WIFI. Now it works

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not sure why you are pursuing it either or even started it - the whole point is that one does NOT need to buy a new phone or change a data plan to use the camera's WiFi...

This is just not true. I need to change my data plan. No way around it. Press the button to set up the hotspot and you get a pop-up to contact AT&T.

So, I need to either find an old phone/buy a new phone that is unlocked or buy a different data plan. It costs $20/month and changes data from unlimited to limited.

• Like 1

It should not do that if you are not connected to AT&T by moving your reception out of their range - try it.

And if not you can get a cheap pre-paid SIM card without restrictions. You might have to get you iPhone unlocked in that case, but that should not be too difficult.

Edited by jaapv

It should not do that if you are not connected to AT&T by moving your reception out of their range - try it.

And if not you can get a cheap pre-paid SIM card without restrictions. You might have to get you iPhone unlocked in that case, but that should not be too difficult.

I am not going to swap out my SIM card to use the phone app and then not be able to get phone calls because I want to use the camera.

Unlocking a phone that is under contract will cost hundreds of dollars. You just don't walk in and say please unlock my phone. Doesn't work that way. You either pay full price for an unlocked phone or you get a subsidized phone and have a 2 year contract. The US has set up their plans to encourage locked subsidized phones.

As, I've said, if this were the "norm" and all cameras were set up this way, you wouldn't hear a peep from me. But given I have 3 other wifi based cameras that all work perfectly with Ad Hoc networks (that cost a fraction of the Leica price) the choices Leica has made are super irritating.

I'm done on the subject.

• Like 2

Why spam this useful thread with more ‘I want ad hoc mode (and I want it now)!’ chants?

I missed these posts?

I was discussing the matters that were being presented as universal fact for all iPhone users, and which seem to differ according to national/carrier circumstances. Some statements (like unlocking) were simply incorrect (though revised in edits).

• Like 2

I'm in the UK and as others have reported, with no cellular connection my iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.1 can still create a personal hotspot and other devices can connect to it (I don't have a T to try yet, deliveries seem to have been delayed by the Bank Holiday).

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that a fully enabled ad-hoc WiFi mode would be preferable.

Edited by stevelap
  • Like 2

HI Terry

This is just not true. I need to change my data plan. No way around it. Press the button to set up the hotspot and you get a pop-up to contact AT&T.

Unlocking a phone that is under contract will cost hundreds of dollars. You just don't walk in and say please unlock my phone. Doesn't work that way.

I'm done on the subject.

HI Terry

I can understand your frustration - and I guess you could argue that Leica should have checked all the US network situations (like yours with your old data plan).

It's quite a big ask though - and it really does seem to work easily and efficiently for most people in Europe - might not be for everyone, but it seems okay for everyone around here who has tried.

The Hotspot method doesn't need a signal (So okay for remote places like underground trains and our backyard!), and once the password has been entered, the camera remembers it and re-connects nicely.

You can see why they would have thought it was a good solution.

. . . . as for unlocking phones - that's just what you do in the UK - walk in and get it unlocked, OFFCOM has a rule to say that it should be so . . . Not to suggest that you either can or should be able do it in the States, but it's understandable that the depth of your problem might not anticipated.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I missed these posts?

I was discussing the matters that were being presented as universal fact for all iPhone users, and which seem to differ according to national/carrier circumstances. Some statements (like unlocking) were simply incorrect (though revised in edits).

I walked through the thread - I cannot find any edits that concern unlocking....

rather than blaming Leica for not providing ad-hoc versions for remote controls depending on the network providers, I would prefer that the App. would be also made to work from Windows/Linux/Android/Blackberry mobile devices! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I walked through the thread - I cannot find any edits that concern unlocking....

Jaap I'm afraid I can't get away from the impression that you're being purposely argumentative in this thread.

The first time I read your post about unlocking I thought what I read was that you were contradicting what I'd said. When I got around to answering your post I found it simply repeated what I said (though implied what I was saying was wrong).

Now forgive me for being confused, because there have actually been lots of posts in this thread that have been edited to change information based on subsequent answers, but in cases like that where information is presented as though refuting a point when actually not doing so, then confusion is what inevitably follows - not least for me.

Anyway, these sorts of side-discussions certainly don't shed any light on the problem at hand, and especially with a band of followers it's very easy to side-track and isolate anyone trying to find objective facts in the matter.

Anyway, it appears the workaround described here functions for at least a considerable subsection of european users, so that's great. As I said before it only needs to be a temporary fix. I'll bow out

Edited by jaapv
personal assertion

rather than blaming Leica for not providing ad-hoc versions for remote controls depending on the network providers, I would prefer that the App. would be also made to work from Windows/Linux/Android/Blackberry mobile devices! :rolleyes:
Now that is really valid!
  • Like 1

HI Terry

HI Terry

I can understand your frustration - and I guess you could argue that Leica should have checked all the US network situations (like yours with your old data plan).

Just to be perfectly clear this is not only an old plan problem. Anyone who wants to tether on AT&T regardless of old or new plan needs to add this as a feature and the cost is $20/month even if you never use 1 bit of data.

For some of us there is a double whammy. The old plan with unlimited data doesn't allow you to simply pay the $20/month. You need to move to a limited plan to even have access to tethering.

AT&T was the exclusive seller of iPhones for several years. The same demographic of early adopters of iPhones seems to be the same demographic of users Leica is courting with the T. So, that's why a number of people have the same double whammy issue.

Edited by TEBnewyork
  • Like 1

Just to be perfectly clear this is not only an old plan problem. Anyone who wants to tether on AT&T regardless of old or new plan needs to add this as a feature and the cost is $20/month even if you never use 1 bit of data.

Okay - I understand now - but I also understand that in an area where this simply does not happen it's difficult to anticipate that it might be a problem elsewhere.

As I've said, I'm just not aware of anyone here who cannot simply turn on a hotspot - and on that basis the way Leica have done it is not unreasonable. I'd be more inclined to blame AT&T for setting unreasonable limits on the iPhone usage than blaming Leica for not anticipating it.

A good example is if I'm in Europe - I have a minuscule daily data allowance, enough for about 20 seconds tethered to my laptop (really, literally, so of course you only do it once) - but when I've run out, then I've just run out - the hotspot still works, it just won't collect or send any more data (unless I choose to buy some more by texting MOREDATA to o2).

Unlocking phones here is also enshrined as a right in law - but probably most of us aren't aware of this, it's just something you can do if you want.

Look - I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't be hacked off about it - just that perhaps it's AT&T being unreasonable rather than Leica?

Jaap I'm afraid I can't get away from the impression that you're being purposely argumentative in this thread.

The first time I read your post about unlocking I thought what I read was that you were contradicting what I'd said. When I got around to answering your post I found it simply repeated what I said (though implied what I was saying was wrong).

Now forgive me for being confused, because there have actually been lots of posts in this thread that have been edited to change information based on subsequent answers, but in cases like that where information is presented as though refuting a point when actually not doing so, then confusion is what inevitably follows - not least for me.

I checked through ALL original posts and edits and cannot find anything of the kind, sorry.

I checked through ALL original posts and edits and cannot find anything of the kind, sorry.

Aside from the fact that the majority of my answers to your posts in this thread were subsequently followed by emendations to your previous posts... which meant that I often then needed to go back and amend my posts (and so on ad infinitum), the specific sentences I'm referring to are these:

Me: "Anyway, just for clarification ... if you've bought your phone with a data plan, then only that carrier can decide whether the phone can be unlocked without voiding your warranty."

Followed by you: "If you google it there are dozens of pages confirming that unlocking does not void guaranty. It is a carrier thing, not a Phone thing."

Now whether you amended this post or not (I don't have the privilege of being able to see), at the very least I was confused by the fact that your intention appeared to be to refute my post, whereas you simply effectively repeat what I said.

I have no idea why you're pursuing this to the bitter end. I've said that all the amended posts led to a very confusing discussion. My usual practice is to mark my emendations with 'EDIT' or 'PS'. I may have slipped in this thread, as there were more than the usual replies to replies to replies to... you get the idea. I'm willing to leave it at that - I don't see this back and forth serves any purpose?

Not to be a pedant (okay, I probably am), but you can't really seriously enter a discussion, restate your position without the slightest concession (even when you're shown to be wrong), then complain that those who disagree with you or present facts which refute your position are "pursuing this to the bitter end". That simply makes no sense.

I also saw the exchange with Jaap you refer to, and it was as you record, when the posts were made. Exactly as you record. What changed?

We get it that you have an AT&T plan and can't, or won't, change; and you won't unlock your phone. This would give a reasonably simple work around, but complaining about Leica is more satisfying.

Yep, we all agree that ad hoc would be a good option. But the camera doesn't have that option, or NFC for Android users (who cares about Windows users). But it is what it is, and it works for a lot of us. Not for AT&T users who could do something about it, but not the rest.

Who's fighting this to the bitter end?

We get it that you have an AT&T plan and can't, or won't, change; and you won't unlock your phone. This would give a reasonably simple work around, but complaining about Leica is more satisfying.

John,

Its time to let go. Regarding the statement above- This is absolutely not a reasonable or possible solution for most in the US. Your facts are mixed up. If you don't have a tethering plan, you simply can't tether.

I really don't understand why you are so obstinate with your position. Im happy that this works for you. It doesn't work for me and its not the proper way to set this up.

Im going to move on and ignore this thread. My camera arrives tomorrow and I have better things to do. Enjoy your discussion.

• Like 1

John,

Its time to let go. Regarding the statement above- This is absolutely not a reasonable or possible solution for most in the US. Your facts are mixed up. If you don't have a tethering plan, you simply can't tether.

I really don't understand why you are so obstinate with your position. Im happy that this works for you. It doesn't work for me and its not the proper way to set this up.

Im going to move on and ignore this thread. My camera arrives tomorrow and I have better things to do. Enjoy your discussion.

And I'm not going to let you continue to make statements like the one above in bold, as it simply is not true. I was in the US last month, I have an unlocked phone, and I had a normal T Moblie pre-pay plan. Nothing special, just a pre-pay plan, and I used the HotSpot. I've never heard of a "tethering plan" ...

I'm sorry you find that simple fact so difficult to accept. I do, however, find it bizarre that you post statement like - "unfortunately "Hotspot" is an option in the US that you have to pay for. If you don't pay, its not accessible in the menu." Perhaps we're splitting hairs, but to me, you are perpetuating a misleading position which I will point out.

Look, we all pay for a cellular service, and what you get varies from service provider to service provider. Your plan, and possibly lots of plans charge a premium for tethering - we understand that. There are other plans and other options and other providers. What you're doing is conflating AT&T's restrictions on your plan, and perhaps 99% of all phone users in the US plans (which I don't believe), with Leica. There are other people in the World than those in the US with legacy AT&T unlimited data plans, with locked phones. I sincerely doubt that you are the majority of potential Leica T and iPhone users globally; and you do have a work around - you are the one complaining, not those of us who have found a workable solution. You have that solution, but choose not to use it.

My sympathy is far greater for those with Android based phones, who are apparently a far greater number globally than iPhone users. When will Leica upgrade to enable NFC?

The alternative is, having found the issue, to complain about it long and hard - good luck with that. My observation is that Leica is not that quick with firmware solutions to problems like this - I hope for all our sakes, I am wrong as we would all like to be able to establish an ad hoc connection. But we can't ... yet ...

Cheers

John

Edited by IkarusJohn

John,

I pay for 20 devices, and of those only one has tethering. I paid an additional $50/mo for that option. If I go into the menu on the remaining 19 devices and select "tethering", it won't allow me to use the option. This is the reality for AT&T network customers. Whether you believe this or not I could care less. I am now leaving this pointless discussion.

No you do not need to use your data plan.

1.Go to” carrier” and disable “automatic”

2 Select a provider that you do not have a contract with manually.

3. The phone will display “ no service”

4. Use Jono’s procedure.

And if you have a locked phone, there are places all over that will unlock it for you. I don’t know about the US but it typically costs between 20 and 70 $ to do so.

If you're running enterprise services on your phone for work, you're not allowed to unlock it. I mean, you can, but it then locks you out of all your work email and VPN stuff.

My NEX-6 generates the wifi ad-hoc network. Leica has no excuse for this shoddy setup.

• Like 1