What happens with the zinc M6 paint?

I've found this site has some really good content about the M construction process:

On the zinc top plates, first a flash coat of copper is applied, then nickel plating, chrome plating and then the finish black chrome plating. I believe the copper flash coat was not used on the brass top plates. Since the bright chrome plating is very durable, it is rare to wear past this on the black chrome cameras. Black paint cameras on the other hand do not have these coatings and wear through to the brass rather easily.

Zinc does have some interesting properties. It resists dents like nobody's business, but will crack under extreme stress. It is also somewhat porous, which makes the copper flash coat necessary. If the zinc is scratched down to the bare metal, it will begin to oxidize and tun into a powder around the scratch.

Leica FAQ — Brass vs. Zinc

It sounds like it will wear similar to black chrome and begin to get more gray in some areas.

As you can see both Zinc and Brass each have their advantages!

Zinc will oxidize and can produce small bubbles in the chrome finish. Also it will not dent easily, but may tear when damaged.

It was a cost-cutting material change and Leica went back to brass.

Guest Ansel_Adams

I find the zinc top plates age much better than the brass. The black gradually rubs away and reveals the silver zinc finish below. It seems to wear much smoother than the black paint brass top plates which wear much less evenly.

Edited by Ansel_Adams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So what's the best material to have if you will use the camera for a long time?

Whichever you like. I don't care for worn-through black paint, but many do. I prefer silver chrome over brass for durability, but my black chrome M6 still looks very good after almost 30 years, as does my silver chrome over zinc R4.

Just choose the camera you like, take care of it, USE IT, and enjoy it.

• Like 2

I've been reading lots of things about humidity, salt water and tropical areas.

Will the M6 start corroding and bubbling when using it in tropical areas or humid weather? Or it just a thing spread on the internet? I don't want to see my M6 with bubbles in the near future. It's in mint condition and I'd like to use it without worrying of the bubbles. I don't mind scratches.

Just use the camera, and when you use it in a moist area make sure at night you store it in a dry bag with moisture 'eaters' so the camera can dry properly, that way the camera will easily outlast you.

• Like 1

So I checked my M6 and I noticed this on the bottom plate. Is this corrosion? Will it start get all bubbling?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've been reading lots of things about humidity, salt water and tropical areas.

Will the M6 start corroding and bubbling when using it in tropical areas or humid weather? Or it just a thing spread on the internet? I don't want to see my M6 with bubbles in the near future. It's in mint condition and I'd like to use it without worrying of the bubbles. I don't mind scratches.

The natural wear and tear of black chrome finish on the M6 is a polishing of the black chrome to a dark-grey shade of silver in places. In practice, it wears off much more slowly than the Monochrom for example. I actually prefer this silver "brassing" to yellow brass showing through a black paint camera. Bubbles in the finish are much less common and they are not part of the usual pattern of wear, but are a known fault of a minority of the M6 cameras.

Nick

• Like 1

The natural wear and tear of black chrome finish on the M6 is a polishing of the black chrome to a dark-grey shade of silver in places. In practice, it wears off much more slowly than the Monochrom for example. I actually prefer this silver "brassing" to yellow brass showing through a black paint camera. Bubbles in the finish are much less common and they are not part of the usual pattern of wear, but are a known fault of a minority of the M6 cameras.

Nick

That would be nice if it's just get silver instead of gold. I like that. Any pictures available of that?

Sometimes even when you try to do everything right, proper storage, protection from dings and scratches, there is still the possibility of zinc oxidation under the finish. It looks like this:

• Like 1

Pf that looks sad. Really hope I won't get this.I think I'd better switch to a brass leica so I shouldn't worry anymore.

Sometimes even when you try to do everything right, proper storage, protection from dings and scratches, there is still the possibility of zinc oxidation under the finish. It looks like this:
Edited by Jessestr

It worked just fine but was traded in on this:

• Like 1