What happens with the zinc M6 paint?

Depends. If you go for a complete set of body + one or two lenses, or just the body.

See for example:

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=34_35&products_id=7191

For just the body, the M6TTL Millennium is (in my mind, anyway) one of those rare instances of Leica special editions that actually see real world use, as opposed to a collector's shelf. I use mine, for example, without any babying. As a result, you may (if you are patient) come across the odd body that is priced not too much above a 'normal' M6TTL (say £1500), as long as you can accept a condition short of mint.

• Like 1

Depends. If you go for a complete set of body + one or two lenses, or just the body.

See for example:

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=34_35&products_id=7191

For just the body, the M6TTL Millennium is (in my mind, anyway) one of those rare instances of Leica special editions that actually see real world use, as opposed to a collector's shelf. I use mine, for example, without any babying. As a result, you may (if you are patient) come across the odd body that is priced not too much above a 'normal' M6TTL (say £1500), as long as you can accept a condition short of mint.

That's nice. So let's say I keep my M6 and it get bubbles, sooner or later. Can Leica do something about it?

Wear on my 1991 M6. Used not abused, this is where its most noticeable, where its held.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can see the original black where the rewind lever would normally be

The base plate on mine is brass though? Might have been swapped out sometime?

Cheers,

Michael

When Leica made the transition to the zinc top plate for the M4-P it experimented with using zinc bottom plates. As it was, the hinge where it attaches to the lug on the camera body would crack. They returned to making brass bottom plates due to the flexibility of the material. If there are any zinc bottom plates out there, none are on an M6.

Edited by madNbad
Punctuation

How can you find out?

Wait till the paint wears off?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Michael

Wow ! Looks used :!

Thanks for the pictures

That M6 looks abused man!

Good to see a camera that hasn't been used as an ornament.

Steve

Just heavily used. Before I got it a wedding photog used it for every wedding from 1991~2010. He estimated 10 rolls a wedding, average 60 weddings a year, 19 years. That makes 11,400 rolls. I've had it for about 18 months and put a further 60 rolls through it. I feel so inadequate.

Internally the camera is perfect, never missed a beat, and no dents. All the wear is just that, wear from being held and used.

I love it.

Cheers,

Michael

When Leica made the transition to the zinc top plate for the M4-P it experimented with using zinc bottom plates. As it was, the hinge where it attaches to the lug on the camera body would crack. They returned to making brass bottom plates due to the flexibility of the material. If there are any zinc bottom plates out there, none are on an M6.

I have a Zinc bottom plate on my M6 TTL.

I have a Zinc bottom plate on my M6 TTL.

It must have been swapped. The zinc bottom plate was abandoned early on when the zinc M4-P was produced because it was too brittle. It was never reintroduced.

Steve

• Like 3

It must have been swapped. The zinc bottom plate was abandoned early on when the zinc M4-P was produced because it was too brittle. It was never reintroduced.

Steve

Not that I know of. It was virgin out of the box. And swapped with what?

Steve

Not that I know of. It was virgin out of the box. And swapped with what? It is a ferrous plate that will attract a magnet. Perhaps zinc plated?

Brass will have been nickel plated before being silver chrome or black chrome plated. But just as brass non-magnetic zinc is also non-magnetic, so magnets wouldn't prove anything about the metal. I suspect a magnet is being attracted to the nickel plating.

Steve