Rubber on Summarit and R lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello guys,

I've got this question, when you buy a summarit or R lens new the rubber on the focussing ring is usually black-black... but after a while it usually turns greyish at some parts...

Now my question is is there some 'product' that can give the rubber back its blackness. My idea is that it turns 'white/greyish' when it 'dries' out... or something...

Now I really don't know nothing about rubber, or plastic rubbers. So please enlighten me!

Thanks!

Now my question is is there some 'product' that can give the rubber back its blackness. My idea is that it turns 'white/greyish' when it 'dries' out... or something...

Thanks!

White-ish colouring on black rubber grips is usually from the mould release agent finally separating from the surface. So adding something on top isn't going to solve the problem. Instead remove it for good with some white spirit and this will return the rubber grip to black with the least build up of other 'products'.

Steve

In the replies so far nobody has suggested you use alcohol so no surprise it won't work. You need a petroleum based product, I previously suggested white spirit, but if you don't have some nearby then naphtha (lighter fuel), or turpentine are similar. Also some of the 'back to black' type products are petroleum based so may get the white off, but some may just add another layer of crud.

Steve

MacGuires rubber and vinyl from the auto store. Part of the problem is rubber deteriorates from the ozone in the air. This slows or stops that.

If you clean with spirits, definitely recoat.

I used to use it on M2, 3 cameras which had real vulcanite (rubber) coating. Never got a chip or deterioration.

Apply carefully and allow to dry 24 hours.

All new lenses from Nikon get the treatment.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.