SF 58 diffuser activation?

dante

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd know the answer to this if my flash weren't in being repaired - what on the Leica flat plastic diffuser (14489) tells the flash the diffuser is mounted? Is it the two top corner tabs or pressure on the flip down WA assembly?

The reason I am asking is that Leica USA doesn't stock flash lenses as parts - and would send the flash to Germany. It would take a month to replace a fresnel lens with heat damage, which seems absurd considering that the part itself looks like it just pops in through the front.

The Metz part for the essentially identical 58AF2 looks identical and fits the diffuser, but the cutouts for the diffuser's tabs don't go all the way through the lens (and hence would not allow any "feeler" to sense the tabs).

Thanks!

Dante

• Like 1

Hi Dante

I have an SF58. As you pull out the diffuser it crosses some kind of "gateway" which changes the flash setting from whatever one has set for the lens to 18mm. What that physically looks like one can't tell because it is concealed within the flash head.

Sorry I can't help more.

Best wishes

Steve

i have both the flash and the diffuser accessory. There is an onflash diffuser with a white plastic card that you can pull out. When you attach the separate diffuser, the integrated one gets pushed inwards a little bit and it triggers a motor inside to move the bulb.

Is that what you are talking about? I just bought the flash a week ago, so I may be wrong. I haven't had any issues with it so far though.

• 4 weeks later...

If the diffusor slides out just a tiny amount, which it tends to do by itself, the head zoom defaults to max wide angle. When you have say a 90mm lens on and are taking distant flash photos, this is more than a little annoying. I don’t use the Leica diffusor (I use a Sto-Fen), so I have jammed mine in with a bit of Blu Tak, to stop it coming out by accident.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
Add Image