Sign in to follow this  
jmteno76

Pogue Review of the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What car? Mine talks Bluetooth! No WiFi.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Both Wifi and Bluetooth.

This whole issue is so screwed up. Bluetooth is nothing like WiFi. WTF is in operation here?

A WTF network, haven't heard of that but sounds quite plausible. Dontcha love it! Loads of diagrams with arrows showing which button to press, so typical of IT design. It may actually be a whole lot simpler once you get the hang of it, but all this shows how much cameras have become computers.

Guest volker_m
And as Jaap already mentioned the T does support infrastructure mode. What David Pogue complains about is that it only supports infrastructure mode; ad hoc mode is not supported (yet).

Please, could you explain to Jaap what ad hoc mode is, and why it is relevant here? He didn't get the point from the very beginning of this thread.

Please, could you explain to Jaap what ad hoc mode is, and why it is relevant here? He didn't get the point from the very beginning of this thread.

Manual describes "Infrastructure" mode where one connects to an existing network. Ad-hoc connects directly between two devices, creating an ad-hoc network in the process.

Basically, with the T it seems that you can use WiFI to download low res images (ca 2MB) when you are connected to an existing network (probably your own). Therefore basically useless, right?

Pogue is right, and his out of focus shots are a concern too. Still a nice camera, perhaps the nicest

There is confusion here indeed.

The fact of the matter is that the T appears to connect in two ways;

1. To a computer regardless of platform by connecting to an existing network.

2. To an IOS device by connecting directly through an app.

I understand clearly that some would like the camera to connect on a 1-1 basis to a computer when out of reach of any network, but clearly Leica did not think that the targeted customer base would have need for such a (professional?) feature. Or they wanted to avoid trouble with changing operating systems - see the demise of useful gear at the killing of Windows XP

It appears to me that supplying an OSX/Windows8 based app would solve the issue without farting around with firmware.

And yes, limiting the file size to 2MB (if so) would restrict the use to Facebook or 10x15 cm prints....

Edited by jaapv

Jono, what about filesize when downloading through your network?

And does Leica's app run under Apple's IOS simulator on a Macbook?

Edited by jaapv

Guest volker_m

You missed the point. The iOS app requires a network connection, and there is where you need WIFI again.

The fact of the matter is that the T appears to connect in two ways;

1. To a computer regardless of platform by connecting to an existing network.

yes, jaap.

and the question still not answered is:

will the connection to the ios device work without an existing wifi network around?

remember: an app is not a network connection.

that is not a feature for advanced professionals only - the ios device is used as the remote control, since there is no other.

thanks jono for trying it out. it will relieve many of us from some confusion.

and the question still not answered is:

will the connection to the ios device work without an existing wifi network around?

I have tired this myself with my T and my iPhone. There has to be a pre-existing wifi network for both the camera and the phone to join before the app can access the camera.

Quick answer — no.

Guest volker_m
There has to be a pre-existing wifi network for both the camera and the phone to join before the app can access the camera.

The only workaround might be to set up the "personal hotspot" feature in WiFi mode on your iPhone. Not sure if that only routes WiFi traffic to the wireless provider, or if the app and the camera can both access that personal hotspot network.

You missed the point. The iOS app requires a network connection, and there is where you need WIFI again.

That is not what the manual suggests. If so it would be strange - or beta firmware (I hope....). The camera is not officially on the market yet.

that is not a feature for advanced professionals only

I quite agree, but is it part of Das Wesentliche?

That is not what the manual suggests. If so it would be strange - or beta firmware (I hope....). The camera is not officially on the market yet.

Unfortunately that is what the manual suggests.

There are two ways to connect; one with the App, the other with a Web Browser; and both are connected via an existing network (infrastructure mode).

Makes no sense ...

That is so weird that I have trouble believing it....

It might make sense on a camera for studio use only... Why go to the trouble of supplying an iPhone app in the first place?

Jono, what about filesize when downloading through your network?

And does Leica's app run under Apple's IOS simulator on a Macbook?

A general information:

You can only run an iOS app in the Apple iOS Simulator on OS X (supplied with the development IDE Xcode) if you have the source code of the application. You can not run iOS apps in the simulator, if you have downloaded them from the App Store.

Guest volker_m
That is not what the manual suggests. If so it would be strange - or beta firmware (I hope....).

Not strange at all. As an engineer working in this field, I would be impressed by Leica making apps that communicate without establishing any network connection. That would be a world first.

I really hope the T will be able to create an ad-hoc network or join an ad-hoc network (like the iPhone's built in hotspot) in the near future. Otherwise the use of the T app is really pretty limited... Lets wait for the final firmware...