Pogue Review of the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pogue reviewed the Leica T. One of the interesting things that I have not seen discussed is the use of WIFI. He noted in his review that the camera could not create a temporary wifi network meaning that you can transfer pictures at locations that don't have a wifi network. I supposed that you could set up a personal hotspot on your cell phone but that is an additional charge.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tiny-new-cameras-with-big-sensors-the-leica-t-vs-85764760379.html

There’s WiFi built in, which you can use to send pictures to your phone. But it doesn’t work unless your camera and your phone have both joined the same WiFi network. (Most other WiFi cameras can transmit pictures to your phone even when you’re in the desert or on a beach. They create a temporary WiFi network for that purpose.)

Jaap,

I think that what he's saying is that based on previous experience it would be a reasonable assumption that software/firmware upgrades for the T will be as tardy as for the M9 series and M240.

Edited by MarkP

What is wrong with the software of the T?:confused:

The firmware on my T is stable and has no apparent issues.

The user interface is intuitive (except for the swipe gesture to review images, which is virtually undiscoverable) and elegant.

• Like 2

...He had no manual and took half an hour to work out how to activate playback.

That speaks volumes about the ability of the reviewer all by itself. I can't imagine why in this age of smartphones it wouldn't occur to someone to try swiping the screen. Or just googling the camera name. I found out about playback within five minutes of seeing the first review without a camera in hand so far.

• Like 1

"The timeline of tech history is well populated with products like this: Insanely expensive luxury items, more objects of art than objects of utility. There was the Twentieth Anniversary Mac, underpowered but cool-looking, for $7,500. The Vertu Signature phone, $6,500 and just as likely to drop a call as a free phone.

That, sadly, is the Leica T. It’s a truly beautiful piece of engineering — but a disappointing piece of photographic equipment."

- David Pogue

I have no idea why Leica decided to go down this road, after throwing in the towel with the R, but if anyone think things are going to get better in the next 6-12 months where the T and the competition are concerned then I have some very nice bridges I would like to show you...

• Like 2

The CameraStoreTV guys could not get the wifi to work in the field either, however they ended up concluding that they quite enjoyed using the camera (despite it's many quirks). I think this echos most of the reviews I've read (from bloggers to member here).

• Like 1

The CameraStoreTV guys could not get the wifi to work in the field either, however they ended up concluding that they quite enjoyed using the camera (despite it's many quirks). I think this echos most of the reviews I've read (from bloggers to member here).

I believe that approximately 99% of reviewers who receive free cameras and lenses from Leica to review always tend to find at least one positive thing to say in said reviews.

I believe that approximately 99% of reviewers who receive free cameras and lenses from Leica to review always tend to find at least one positive thing to say in said reviews.

Lol...true. But finding positive aspects is different from having a positive conclusion. Besides, the members here usually aren't given free cameras.

He does not comment on the functionality of the app. And do you really want to have your camera on the Internet? Welcome virus…..:rolleyes:

What he said was that the T doesn't support Infrastructure mode. I have heard this from several reviewers. This needs to be updated as it's a serious omission.

This mode is a closed peer to peer network between your computer and camera only. Zero threat of a virus, and the only way to connect your devices to copy files.

Wires are so 2000

• Like 1

Lol...true. But finding positive aspects is different from having a positive conclusion. Besides, the members here usually aren't given free cameras.

LOL...true.

Members here usually are not given free cameras...but some are. I have no problem with this practice, but I also understand why publications like "Consumer Reports" refuse to take advertising or free samples for evaluation. Not only is it a potentially conflict of interest when writing a review the possibility of writing anything damning or negative could potentially preclude future advance samples and inside information, which is highly prized by bloggers and reviewers in the photography ethernet.

For instance in the specific example of The Camera Store youtube review I found their piece pretty negative, with a carrot at the end. I think it's not hard to figure out why it was placed there...

• Like 1

LOL...true.

Members here usually are not given free cameras...but some are. I have no problem with this practice, but I also understand why publications like "Consumer Reports" refuse to take advertising or free samples for evaluation. Not only is it a potentially conflict of interest when writing a review the possibility of writing anything damning or negative could potentially preclude future advance samples and inside information, which is highly prized by bloggers and reviewers in the photography ethernet.

For instance in the specific example of The Camera Store youtube review I found their piece pretty negative, with a carrot at the end.

We are in agreement up to here.

I think it's not hard to figure out why it was placed there...

I don't it's as clear cut as you are implying. For example, the same reviewers gave the XV the worst camera of the year award which is clearly not the thing to do if you want future freebies. Another thing to note is that the Camera Store people have access to the gear regardless of the free loaners. They stock the stuff, and they can do the reviews with out the loaners. Recently they reviewed a Canon camera and just blasted it.

I enjoy their reviews and the short videos they make (Battle at F-Stop Ridge is fantastic fun). And I never make decisions about gear based on what bloggers endorse.

• Like 2

"The timeline of tech history is well populated with products like this: Insanely expensive luxury items, more objects of art than objects of utility. There was the Twentieth Anniversary Mac, underpowered but cool-looking, for $7,500. The Vertu Signature phone, $6,500 and just as likely to drop a call as a free phone.

That, sadly, is the Leica T. It’s a truly beautiful piece of engineering — but a disappointing piece of photographic equipment."

- David Pogue

I have no idea why Leica decided to go down this road, after throwing in the towel with the R, but if anyone think things are going to get better in the next 6-12 months where the T and the competition are concerned then I have some very nice bridges I would like to show you...

I have a sneaking suspicion why they went down this road - they are going to sell an awful lot of these cameras….

• Like 1

I have a sneaking suspicion why they went down this road - they are going to sell an awful lot of these cameras….

I hope so for Leica but decided to withdraw my preorder and used the money to upgrade from the M9 to the M 240. I like the concept of the T but remain hesitant until i know a bit more about the AF performance. Trust that the optics are ok.

In the meantime i am delighted with the M 240.

• Like 2