Pogue Review of the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jono,

I don't have hotspot facility on my iPhone from my French network provider (Orange) either, unless I pay quite a bit extra. I have an incredibly good tariff in France that is very cheap and other than hotspot, which I don't really need anyway, suits me to a T. I don't want to do anything to upset it as I am sure Orange will spot (hotspot??) that I am on far too cheap a tariff of just €9/month with unlimited internet and will "upgrade" me.

Wilson

Indeed, as I already mentioned elsewhere, my mother in Spain doesn't have hotspot functionality in her tariff either.

Somehow resembles some of Apple’s decisions (like not supporting Flash) in a small way.

There were years of friction between Apple and Adobe prior to Steve Job's decision not to support Flash in iOS. Not to mention battery-drain and security questions. This doesn't appear to resemble that situation at all.

In a small way I said ;) As of now we are just chasing shadows when guessing at the reason.

Battery drain is in interesting idea. Might it be that the camera trying to create a network drains the battery?

In a small way I said ;) As of now we are just chasing shadows when guessing at the reason.

Battery drain is in interesting idea. Might it be that the camera trying to create a network drains the battery?

Haha yes very droll Jaap - I enjoy the way you debate, it's endlessly entertaining and suggests your real talent might have been politics rather than teeth. But I digress.

I assume considering your new position on this issue (that ad hoc connections are a bad idea after all, and probably harmful in some vague way), that you'll be personally in touch with Leica to discourage them from implementing the feature in any future update. Or have I misunderstood all the careful thinking they put into their original design? ;)

New? You have not even read my posts….:rolleyes:

That is so weird that I have trouble believing it....

It might make sense on a camera for studio use only... Why go to the trouble of supplying an iPhone app in the first place?

About 175 posts back, etc…

I have been suggesting workarounds, Like Jono. Sorry for trying to be helpful.

Now I am just guessing at a reason. If you do not like constructiveness, please disregard.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I get annoyed when people suggest that trying to supply solutions for a situation that I made clear I do not like either is in some way defensive :mad::mad:

If you guys do not like positive contributions please say so straight-out.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

I get annoyed when people suggest that trying to supply solutions for a situation that I made clear I do not like either is in some way defensive :mad::mad:

If you guys do not like positive contributions please say so straight-out.

Oh come on. This is embarrassingly transparent. We've established there's a workaround that's gonna help a proportion of users . But the inaccuracies ('it's just AT&T') or the extraordinary justifications are certainly open to debate.

• Like 1

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the "hotspot solution" is, in a trivial sense, a hack – it is not the way the camera and app are supposed to communicate. I find it hilarious that Jono, amongst others, are now suggesting that they prefer it like this.:D

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong in deciding to implement infrastructure mode – whenever a WiFi network is available I suppose infrastructure mode would be the preferred mode –, but ad-hoc mode is usable in many situations where infrastructure is not, or required workarounds. So when development resources are limited I would have suggested to implement ad-hoc mode first and deal with infrastructure mode later. For whatever reason, Leica made a different decision.

• Like 2

Is it fair to say that an infrastructure solution is more independent of operating systems? Experts?

they chose iOS as platform for the remote app, and do not offer an android version - i feel that being independent from operating systems was not the main concern while choosing infrastructure mode over ad-hoc.

• Like 1

I am simply curious.... how many prospective T buyers will be interested in remote controlling the camera in the wild?

Trying to assess how crippled the camera is without ad-hoc Wifi feature.

My NEX6 has ad-hoc mode and I have used it only once inside my house and out of curiosity !!

(Note: the usage of transferring pic to smartphone in the wild doesn't count since we have a cheap/easy/faster solution).

Edited by jmahto

I am simply curious.... how many prospective T buyers will be interested in remote controlling the camera in the wild?

Trying to assess how crippled the camera is without ad-hoc Wifi feature.

My NEX6 has ad-hoc mode and I have used it only once inside my house and out of curiosity !!

(Note: the usage of transferring pic to smartphone in the wild doesn't count since we have a cheap/easy/faster solution).

Other than using the self timer it is the way to do remote shutter release. So, if I have it on a tripod for longer exposure landscape then yes I will use it.

Spent a beautiful week in March in Inverpolly - shot with a camera that had an adhoc connection. I used it all the time - I would transfer pictures to my IPAD and do some editing while waiting for the light to change or during lunch. It was great to have during that trip to look at the pictures on a larger screen.

Best,

Joan

Just want to suggest to the moderators that this thread has moved a long way from David Pogue's review. And it contains some useful info regarding the T and wi-fi.

Is it possible to make it a separate thread?

• Like 2