Pogue Review of the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well for something that's "clearly explained in the manual" there's a hell of a lot of people here suggesting otherwise. For something that offers such a state of the art way of working with clever touch screens and what appear to be really clever menu's that can be personalised this seems a glaring omission when things like the Sony A6000 seem to offer it along with NFC .

It's clearly explained in the manual that the T works in infrastructure mode, and it does. The manual does not say that the T works in ad- hoc mode, and it doesn't. There is no confusion.

As mentioned by Plasticman earlier, there is however the question of whether ad- hoc mode is desirable (it is!) and whether it can be implemented via a firmware update or not.

• Like 2

While ad hoc mode support is a matter of software, NFC requires hardware which (to my knowledge) the T lacks. As does the iPhone, btw, so NFC will never work with the iPhone even if the camera supports it. (Unless Apple overcomes their dislike of NFC – apparently it’s against their religion or something – and supports NFC with the next generation iPhone.)

• Like 2

While ad hoc mode support is a matter of software

Thank you. That at least gives hope that it could be turned on with a firmware update?! Vs having to go buy a spare unlocked iPhone or paying for hotspot functionality that we don't really need in order to get it to work...

Quite by chance I bought a -discounted,being only 3G, small portable hotspot at the Vodaphone shop last Monday. Together with the dual Sim Card it set me back less than 50 Euro, say two SD cards. To be fair I only bought it for the discount and because of a vague idea it might come in handy some day, but it appears to me that it might be the el-cheapo WIFI network solution.

• Like 1

Quite by chance I bought a -discounted,being only 3G, small portable hotspot at the Vodaphone shop last Monday. Together with the dual Sim Card it set me back less than 50 Euro, say two SD cards. To be fair I only bought it for the discount and because of a vague idea it might come in handy some day, but it appears to me that it might be the el-cheapo WIFI network solution.

It may have only cost $50...but here in the US, you would have to commit to a 2 year contract at $50/mo in addition to the $50 purchase price...so effectively that $50 purchase is well over $1000. Regardless...I don't want to be on the internet to transfer images to my mac.

Over here it was sold as an accessory to my existing subscription, so no extra cost at all . That is what the dual SIM card is for.

Again I would use the "no service" trick to stay off the Internet.

Heck - the post was just meant as a constructive suggestion to make the best of the situation.

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over here it was sold as an accessory to my existing subscription, so no extra cost at all . That is what the dual SIM card is for.

Again I would use the "no service" trick to stay off the Internet.

Heck - the post was just meant as a constructive suggestion to make the best of the situation.

It might be best to limit your views to your own situation. As someone who has negotiated licenses for billions of cell phones worldwide, the situation in the EU is markedly different from the US.

The more I read this thread the more I feel we need a separate forum to separate the non-IT from the IT and telecom users as thanks to Leica we are slowly veering away from photography to the world of SMAC - Social Media, Mobile, Analytics 'Big Data' and Cloud Computing :eek:

It might be best to limit your views to your own situation. As someone who has negotiated licenses for billions of cell phones worldwide, the situation in the EU is markedly different from the US.
That is abundantly clear here. However, that does not mean that they may not be voiced. I do not notice my American friends limiting their views to their own situation.

To be expected on a worldwide forum. I find the differences interesting.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Interesting as it may be, this thread is not about big bad American telephone companies not delivering. It's about a new Leica product that until now does not seem to bring functionality that most of us have come to expect in 2014.

• Like 1

I have a real solution for people who don't want to buy three iPhones, several iPad Airs, a portable wifi hotspot and/or sign away their savings on phone plans designed to suck the last sign of life out of your bank account!

Here it is:

A camera that can set-up an ad hoc network without costing you your shirt. Thank me later.

• Like 1

Not sure whether XYFI have to have a data plan in order to create hotspot. If it does then its no different than iPhone. :(

I think traditional Leica folks are getting crash course in modern technology available in L cameras (or lack of it). :D

Edited by jmahto

Eureka !! Finally found the cheap solution !!!

For $165 you can get Canon 320HS. It is the cheapest available P&S with WiFi (the proper way) :D

You shoot using T, take out the SD card, put it into Canon and transfer to your phone.

Canon PowerShot ELPH 320 HS 16MP Blue Camera 013803145618 | eBay

So, is Leica fixing the T ?

Edited by jmahto

My search has come to an end (and my sanity restored).

Just get some Lightning Adapter Camera Connection Kit For Apple Devices (or android equivalent) which reads from SD card for transferring pictures from T to smartphone in the wild and get done with it. Who needs wireless !!

Your cost less that $10. Thank me later. :D

Controlling the camera from smartphone .... that is another mater. Keep going...

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 3

My search has come to an end (and my sanity restored).

Just get some Lightning Adapter Camera Connection Kit For Apple Devices (or android equivalent) which reads from SD card for transferring pictures from T to smartphone in the wild and get done with it. Who needs wireless !!

Your cost less that $10. Thank me later. :D

Controlling the camera from smartphone .... that is another mater. Keep going...

Personally I don't get the big deal about transferring photos to one's phone from the camera. Are people really only using the photos they take straight from digital cameras to upload to Facebook or wherever without any kind of processing? Why not just take photos with your phone to upload to Facebook?

I'm more concerned about controlling the camera remotely. And, as you say, this does not address that. I'm just saying.

• Like 3

Personally I don't get the big deal about transferring photos to one's phone from the camera. Are people really only using the photos they take straight from digital cameras to upload to Facebook or wherever without any kind of processing? Why not just take photos with your phone to upload to Facebook?

I'm more concerned about controlling the camera remotely. And, as you say, this does not address that. I'm just saying.

I wanted the remote camera control as well.

As to processing there are a lot of very good processing apps on the iPad/iPhone for some quicker edits while out without a laptop. So, no personally I don't post them "as is" but processed a bit with different apps I do email some photos to frieds.

Yes, if I take a good photo it will go on Facebook without any processing, or perhaps in camera conversion to BW (some like art filters). I put more effort into photos I might share on 500px and the like, but for Facebook a good photo is enough.

If I'm out walking and its a good sun set, or early morning light is good, I will use the phone and post immediatly. But the thing is this, the photos from the camera look _much_ better than those from the phone ... so I would rather post the camera version.