Pogue Review of the Leica T

I'm afraid this joins being unable to turn off auto-review as a major flaw in this camera. I would be relaxed about it if Leica had a good history of firmware upgrades and supporting its cameras past bare functionality (M9?).

It is odd to have a new interface, based on iPhone touch screens etc, and to require both the camera and the phone to be connected to a WiFi network - some one really hasn't thought this through. The camera appealed to me as a state of the art electronic interface which would enable me to see the LCD image from my iPhone - focusing, controlling the camera functions and releasing the shutter from my phone (to be able to review the image would also have been good, but I guess I was being stupid thinking that Leica would have thought all this through).

It's hopeless if you can't do this away from a WiFi connection - I take most of my pictures out of doors! I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this camera. I can use my phone as a hotspot - has anyone actually tried this? All good in theory, but does it actually work in practice?

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Most plans in the UK do not allow tethering (or "hotspot" capability) by default. I suggest that you don't extrapolate from your personal experience to draw any conclusions about the availability of this option.

Isn’t that exactly what you are doing here? I merely stated that it varies by provider and country…

• Like 1

First off we shouldn't have to create a hotspot. There is no reason why the T shouldn't have adhoc networking. Its the safest and best method to transfer data privately. It is a simple point to point network. It doesn't require any internet access at all.

• Like 9

Okay

Well

I've managed to create a hotspot on my ipad , and to connect the Leica T to it - so they're connected . . . . . however, running the Leica T app on the ipad simply says:

No Wifi Connection.

So then I joined my iPhone to the ipad hotspot and then ran the Leica T app on the Phone.

I restarted the App and it said 'connect to Leica T'? and worked, camera remote worked etc. etc.

So - this isn't a perfect situation, however, it seems to me to show that it only requires some tweaking of the APP for this to work properly, and in the meantime, if you have two devices then it will work.

I hope this is of some consolation / help.

so - like this

1. make hotspot on your ipad

2. connect Leica to the ipad network

3. connect phone to the ipad network

4. run Leica T on the iPhone

It works, and it doesn't need any other wifi network to be present.

• Like 7

Okay

Well

I've managed to create a hotspot on my ipad , and to connect the Leica T to it - so they're connected . . . . . however, running the Leica T app on the ipad simply says:

No Wifi Connection.

So then I joined my iPhone to the ipad hotspot and then ran the Leica T app on the Phone.

I restarted the App and it said 'connect to Leica T'? and worked, camera remote worked etc. etc.

So - this isn't a perfect situation, however, it seems to me to show that it only requires some tweaking of the APP for this to work properly, and in the meantime, if you have two devices then it will work.

I hope this is of some consolation / help.

so - like this

1. make hotspot on your ipad

2. connect Leica to the ipad network

3. connect phone to the ipad network

4. run Leica T on the iPhone

It works, and it doesn't need any other wifi network to be present.

Yes, but as stated in other places, personal hotspots are dictated by your wireless carrier, and setting up wifi should not have to be linked to involving your cellular service. There is no other camera that I've used with wifi in this way.

• Like 3

it seems to me to show that it only requires some tweaking of the APP for this to work properly,.

I don't think so, Jono. I don't think an iPhone can work as both a hotspot and as a "client" of the wifi network created by the hotspot. It is the camera that will need "tweaking" to enable ad hoc wifi mode.

• Like 2

Fine -or rather a bit cumbersome but OK.

It's not really is it?:) I suggested using two iPhones to get around this limitation in a previous thread but I was being facetious. Isn't it easier just to use the camera like people used to do for decades – i.e. as a standalone device rather than an adjunct to your smartphone?

• Like 1

Of course it is, but as I have two iPhones with me usually, it is workable for me, I can quite see that it is too much of a hassle in general and I still don't understand why Leica did not go for the obvious and simple solution.

And don't start about the number of iPhones, the provider gives them away for free when you open an account or switch providers.:(

I'll tell you how I plan to use it. I'll place the camera at a waterhole in a strategic spot and retire to the hide with a 240 and long lens.:)

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

Is it actually worth the effort?:confused:

Of course not Ian - stupid idea. Although, to be fair, having done it once it works again pretty quickly.

I haven't the faintest interest or intention of connecting the camera to the phone, except in the remote eventuality of the spotted flycatchers nesting outside my office window again.

But people are asking, so I was trying to be helpful :)

• Like 5

I don't think so, Jono. I don't think an iPhone can work as both a hotspot and as a "client" of the wifi network created by the hotspot. It is the camera that will need "tweaking" to enable ad hoc wifi mode.

Fair enough Ian - I'm really really not au fait with this stuff - the only time I've ever used a hotspot before was abroad, when I wanted to connect my computer to the internet, and it maxed out the 15 mb allowance in less than a minute :D So I haven't bothered again.

It's not really is it?:) I suggested using two iPhones to get around this limitation in a previous thread but I was being facetious. Isn't it easier just to use the camera like people used to do for decades – i.e. as a standalone device rather than an adjunct to your smartphone?

Indeed - couldn't agree more . . . . but if it has the facility I guess it should be useful and work sensibly (as I'm sure it will).

• Like 1

I'll tell you how I plan to use it. I'll place the camera at a waterhole in a strategic spot and retire to the hide with a 240 and long lens.:)

Unfortunately we won't be able to text each other when I'm snappin' away at the spotted flycatchers in our eaves :)

• Like 2