Pogue Review of the Leica T

Call me old fashioned: I could care less about peer to peer connectivity...If it comes its a nice extra, but no deal breaker.

I can certainly wait until I am back at the hotel or B&B to check out my pictures ;-0)

That's why the T has a screen on it to begin with, right? I don't need an iPad to see what's there.

And the T was not designed to go up against the Canon or similar cameras as far as I understand it?

Tadeyev

Question: if I'm in the park with no WIFI around, can I transfer a photo to my iPhone/iPad?

I tried this with my T and my iPhone. It works faultlessly when both are connected via my home wifi network. Unfortunately it doesn't work at all if there's no pre-existing network for both the camera and the phone to join. This, I think, is just as mjh said earlier.

Simply put, the camera can not create a wifi network to use to communicate with the phone. It doesn't make any difference if you use the iPhone app or not – it just can't do it, on this version of firmware ;)

• Like 4

Simply put, the camera can not create a wifi network to use to communicate with the phone. It doesn't make any difference if you use the iPhone app or not – it just can't do it, on this version of firmware ;)

I find this quite surprising. It appears to mean that the T doesn't have proper wifi.

My OMD-EM1 can use the app on my iPad and my Android smartphone to operate the camera remotely and download photos on either device, even on a mountain top. I'm not sure I see the point of the T's wifi facility or the app if it requires access to another network to operate.

I would be hoping for a firmware update.

Tim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find this quite surprising. It appears to mean that the T doesn't have proper wifi.

My OMD-EM1 can use the app on my iPad and my Android smartphone to operate the camera remotely and download photos on either device, even on a mountain top. I'm not sure I see the point of the T's wifi facility or the app if it requires access to another network to operate.

Tim

I agree it makes no sense. The app is supposed to be usable as a remote to trigger the camera. That would negate that functionality out in the field.

• Like 1

Tim

It doesn’t need a network for the app to operate≥

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 4

That diagram seems ambiguous? The first setting appears to require a WLAN - a wireless local area network - which is the opposite of what you're saying Jaap?

Seems OK, that would be a WLAN with peer to peer connection (adhoc network between two devices).

It doesn’t need a network for the app to operate≥

several reviewers have stated this is not possible w/o an existing wifi network. Jaap, do you have the camera?

The page before the one you posted states: "The camera automatically searches for available networks."

This would imply that it requires wifi.

also I see that you can connect to the camera via a web browser on a PC to download images...but it also requires a wifi network.

"With this connection method, there is no access control. Therefore, make sure that you are working in a secure WLAN network."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by digitalfx

The manual implies the iPad app works much the way your phone connects to your car etc. via Bluetooth. All the diagrams refer to changing settings when connecting via WLAN etc.

All the current T's in use have beta firmware ...... And in fact the manual specifically states some functions (can't remember which) only work from firmware 1.2 onwards ..... whatever that is ..... or will be ....

No doubt all will become clear in the fullness of time ....... leica have had some odd ideas about firmware functionality in the past ......:rolleyes::o

• Like 1

The manual implies the iPad app works much the way your phone connects to your car etc. via Bluetooth.

This whole issue is so screwed up. Bluetooth is nothing like WiFi. WTF is in operation here?

The manual implies the iPad app works much the way your phone connects to your car etc. via Bluetooth. All the diagrams refer to changing settings when connecting via WLAN etc.

All the current T's in use have beta firmware ...... And in fact the manual specifically states some functions (can't remember which) only work from firmware 1.2 onwards ..... whatever that is ..... or will be ....

No doubt all will become clear in the fullness of time ....... leica have had some odd ideas about firmware functionality in the past ......:rolleyes::o

no, this is not bluetooth. It refers to changing ip address, the T is a wiFi camera.