Sign in to follow this  
jmteno76

Pogue Review of the Leica T

What he said was that the T doesn't support Infrastructure mode. I have heard this from several reviewers. This needs to be updated as it's a serious omission.

Wires are so 2000

Which is incorrect. According to the manual, page 86, the camera must be set to app mode and can then be approached directly from the app.

Page 84 and 85 describe the logging in to an existing network. So the camera appears to support both options.

But then, like Mr. Pogue, reviewers do not like to read manuals, apparently.

Reading this review, I don't think the T is for David.

Real photographers don't need to fire 12 shots to get the one they need, nor use auto exposure when a manual exposure setting would give them the perfect shot.

Which is incorrect. According to the manual, page 86, the camera must be set to app mode and can then be approached directly from the app.

Page 84 and 85 describe the logging in to an existing network. So the camera appears to support both options.

But then, like Mr. Pogue, reviewers do not like to read manuals, apparently.

but it requires the app.

is there a mac app?

The app is an iOS app and is mentioned on page 196 of the English manual, which can be downloaded from:

Downloads // Leica T // T-System // Photography - Leica Camera AG

Launch iTunes, and then go to the iTunes Store. Search for Leica. You will see the app named Leica T, which requires iOS 7.0 or later. There is no such app in the Apple App Store for Macintosh.

The app is an iOS app and is mentioned on page 196 of the English manual, which can be downloaded from:

Downloads // Leica T // T-System // Photography - Leica Camera AG

Launch iTunes, and then go to the iTunes Store. Search for Leica. You will see the app named Leica T, which requires iOS 7.0 or later. There is no such app in the Apple App Store for Macintosh.

I understand this, I already have the app. But I want to connect in Infrastructure mode to my laptop not my iPhone as I said in my original post.

The app store is integrated into iTunes nowadays. It is the same thing.

but it requires the app.

is there a mac app?

I am on Mac and iPhone so it is not a problem for me. However, I find it strange there is no app for Android or Windows. Or should I say yet, I hope?

Found this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leica-t/id838125845?mt=8

"Pairs up flawlessly and offers an exceptional experience with my T!" according to one reviewer. Another says it's slow with iPhone.

Not being familiar with iPhone or touchscreen technology, I'd reserve my opinion until I could actually try a T (not available here for a few months).

Putting an SD card into the Mac is fine for me. But speedy connectivity between camera and phone (or 'device' as more people say now) is surely the way of the future.

The app store is integrated into iTunes nowadays. It is the same thing.

I understand he's looking for an app to connect his Mac with the T, for things like remote control and maybe tethering. Therefore he's asking for a Mac App.

Maybe explaining the concept of iTunes and AppStore is not really what he's looking for.

The app is for iPhone and iPad only.

Yes, this app is for a iPhone or iPad only.

I want to shoot on T and wirelessly transfer images to Mac for processing.

This could be done if they simply add "Infrastructure mode" to the WiFi on Camera.

I think its a simple fw update.

I have a sneaking suspicion why they went down this road - they are going to sell an awful lot of these cameras….

LOL...let me know what flavor of Leica Kool-Aid you are drinking Jaap, it must have a shot or two of gin in it to make a statement like that.

Yes, this app is for a iPhone or iPad only.

I want to shoot on T and wirelessly transfer images to Mac for processing.

This could be done if they simply add "Infrastructure mode" to the WiFi on Camera.

What has infrastructure vs. ad hoc mode got to do with this? If there was a Mac app for wireless tethering with the T it could work in ad hoc mode just as well as it could in infrastructure mode. But as long as there is no such app the distinction is moot.

And as Jaap already mentioned the T does support infrastructure mode. What David Pogue complains about is that it only supports infrastructure mode; ad hoc mode is not supported (yet). But with regard to Mac compatibility that makes no difference whatsoever – no Mac app, no Mac connectivity (except via a web browser).

Edited by mjh

What has infrastructure vs. ad hoc mode got to do with this? If there was a Mac app for wireless tethering with the T it could work in ad hoc mode just as well as it could in infrastructure mode. But as long as there is no such app the distinction is moot.

And as Jaap already mentioned the T does support infrastructure mode.

Very sorry I meant ad-hoc mode. I want a point to point connection on location where no wifi is available.

I want to be able to connect my camera to the mac without internet. This is fairly standard on all my video devices...shouldnt this be easy to implement on a camera? It seems like a natural feature for the design of the T.

I email David Pogue.

He stands by the statement in his review regarding only being able to connect via WIFI rather than peer to peer.

His email

Hi Joan!

I corresponded directly with the Leica PR contact on this issue, and she confirmed that I’m correct.

--dp

-------------

David Pogue

Yahoo Tech

David Pogue.com | The Personal Website of David Pogue

Now I am confused - we will have to see what persons find once they have the camera in hand. It would be bummer if it can't do a peer to peer connection.

Jona

Very disappointing if this is indeed the case. I use my Canon remote app all the time out in the woods etc far away from any wifi. I was really hoping to use the Leica T app in the same way...

Yes, you would like to be able to do so, I would like to be able to so, and quite a few more on this forum. But is the target user of the camera likely to carry a laptop with him? I think not.