Pogue Review of the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

forget the phone, I want to be able to shoot and wirelessly transfer images to my computer. I can't imagine I'm alone in this. If you are spending $2000-$7000 for a camera or system, you generally could care less about sending to your phone. We should be able to shoot and sit down at our computer and start processing without removing the card or connecting a wire.

......not sure why taking a card out of the camera is so difficult .....;)

anyway ...... you will end up with DNG and JPG files .... and if you are like me you junk the JPG's ..... so you might as well just selectively upload the DNG's from the card in the first place ....

I assume .... like the X-Vario ....that the obligatory JPG's are there because the camera shows these when you review images and it is quicker than processing DNG's (and the camera screen image is limited to the JPG resolution chosen).

I'm sure, in time - when they can squeeze enough processing power and memory in...... cameras will have 128Gb of integral storage and automatically tether and transfer images to some form of cloud storage and then like dropbox sync to multiple recipient devices.... to be automatically shoved in the right LR folder and default processed to your liking....... so when you return home they will be on your computer as a slideshow screensaver for you to admire immediately....

It's all out there ..... just needs someone to integrate it all ....... but I fear it won't be Leica ....

Edited by thighslapper

I'm sure, in time - when they can squeeze enough processing power and memory in...... cameras will have 128Gb of integral storage and automatically tether and transfer images to some form of cloud storage and then like dropbox sync to multiple recipient devices.... to be automatically shoved in the right LR folder and default processed to your liking....... so when you return home they will be on your computer as a slideshow screensaver for you to admire immediately....

What an appalling thought. Even with my modest image taking rate, I'd blow my DropBox storage in short order. And I'd end up with all those images clogging up my work computer, office computer and laptop!

But you are right.

One thing I would say is that I almost always use a cable release when I use a tripod. I will use the iPhone App when I put the T on a tripod (I can see me using my desktop tripod quite a bit with this camera for all sorts of things). The iPhone App is very simple, and very easy to use. I've found it rock solid so far.

I loathe clunky and difficult WiFi connections (my iPad simply won't connect to my Musical Fidelity M1clic). This isn't like that at all. Once the connection is made, the screen lights up with the images stored on the camera, one click and you're looking at the image through the camera. No menu layers - all very clean and clear - actually very similar to looking at the screen on your iPhone camera, which I guess is the point.

This isn't a tethering program, and was never offered as such. I have never used this sort of software before as it has struck me as just too difficult, and pointless (the A7r had Play Memories which I gave up on - short attention span problem). It would be a mistake to try to make this something it isn't.

Much like the iPhone (and AlanG's complaints) - this camera has a very flat menu structure, with deceptively limited options. I like that, as true to Leica philosophy, taking pictures is what this camera seems t be about, rather than electronic wizardry.

One thing I can't work out is sometimes the two soft dials simply don't work. Either I'm doing the wrong thing, or it's a bug. Why would I not be able to change ISO or bring up magnification? Not sure what's going on there.

With the chrome 50 Summilux ASPH on it, it's compact, heavy, but looks the bizz! I'm enjoying this camera very much!

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

......not sure why taking a card out of the camera is so difficult .....;)

Not sure why people don't get it frankly...and as stated in my post I want to transfer to my mac, if implemented properly it can transfer both raw and jpeg to your computer. Its actually pretty sweet to never pull the SD card out of the camera.

• Like 1

Plus, it is rather difficult to pull the internal memory from the T.

The day will come when youngsters with their heads in the Cloud will say, "Old-timers used those obsolete removable memory cards and messed with post-proxy or something." Film will be known as what turns their teeth green, and they will be proud of it.

Scuze me, but our air conditioning failed last night and I'm fevered.

By the way, I have been pulling apart the iOS Leica T app. According to the authors it is owned by Leica, but there is no trace of the individual authors. Still looking.

Edited by pico