Pogue Review of the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not sure what you want me to give up - correcting a blatant misstatement? No.

The majority of iPhone users in the US can't use their iPhones as a Hotspot because of the plans they are on and they are not prepared to unlock their phones? Correct - nothing more.

Do we have an ignore option on this forum?

The manual for the T makes no mention that you would need to use your phone as a hotspot in order to get the app to work.

What the manual does mention is that the T supports infrastructure mode only. This means you need an existing WLAN to join and if there is none you have to create one yourself – for example by setting up a personal hotspot with your iPhone. Of course any WiFi router would do the job but in the middle of nowhere you are more likely to carry an iPhone than a WiFi router.

John, please give up. Yes, hotspot is not available to the majority here. Im sorry you disagree, but its the reality here in the US. Especially on AT&T which is the bulk of US customers.

I really happy that it works for you.

A bit of a pity really. Quite apart from this Leica kafuffle which is not even a blip on AT&T’s radar, they are limiting the functionality of their customer’s iPhones. I do use Hotspot regularly, for instance as a WiFi repeater when I am in a hotel room that only has decent WiFi in the bathroom, or on the road as a modem for my Macbook Air, etc…

• Like 2

What the manual does mention is that the T supports infrastructure mode only. This means you need an existing WLAN to join and if there is none you have to create one yourself – for example by setting up a personal hotspot with your iPhone. Of course any WiFi router would do the job but in the middle of nowhere you are more likely to carry an iPhone than a WiFi router.

I wonder, would it be possible to set up an Airport network when you have your Mac laptop with you - and your phone? Or even two iOS devices?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder, would it be possible to set up an Airport network when you have your laptop with you - and your phone? Or even two iOS devices?

In the early days, I used to travel with an Airport Express. When I got to a hotel or anywhere with an ethernet connection, I'd plug in the Airport Express, and create my own network. It did actually work reasonably well.

I'm not sure that the MacBook Pros allow you to create a WiFi hotspot. Nice idea, though ...

I wonder, would it be possible to set up an Airport network when you have your Mac laptop with you - and your phone?

Of course. Setting up a wireless network from a Mac is a snap.

LOL.

via an ad hoc connection.

LOL I almost said that!!!!

It essentially is the whole point of this whole discussion. For every other camera out there the manufacturers have set it up so the camera creates the Ad Hoc network but Leica has set it up so the phone creates the network and not the camera.

HotSpot without an internet connection? How?

Setting up a wireless network has nothing to do with internet access per se. You create a network so others can join to exchange data within that local network. Internet access and the routing functionality to ferry data packets between the local network and the internet would be an added bonus.

I do use Hotspot regularly, for instance as a WiFi repeater when I am in a hotel room that only has decent WiFi in the bathroom

How does that work?. As far as I know you cannot both be in hotspot mode and connected to another wifi router.

Sorry - you are right, I used my Vodaphone MiWi box there - it looks a lot like my iPhone lying on the table:(:( - but you do need a duplicate SIM card that allows tethering for it.