Pogue Review of the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think so, Jono. I don't think an iPhone can work as both a hotspot and as a "client" of the wifi network created by the hotspot. It is the camera that will need "tweaking" to enable ad hoc wifi mode.

Hi there

Well,this actually works perfectly well if you do it in just the right order. Only one device needed

1 set up hotspot on device

2 connect camera to hotspot

3 open app on device

4 connect to camera from app

5 approve connection on camera

No idea why I couldn't make it work before, but I tried it on a tube this evening on my phone and back home on my ipad. No trouble

• Like 5

Now, how to get rid of Auto Review ...

You can still not turn it off in the production firmware delivered with the camera? It really should not be a problem to integrate that into the firmware...

• Like 1

You can still not turn it off in the production firmware delivered with the camera? It really should not be a problem to integrate that into the firmware...

You can choose the duration - 1, 3 or 5 seconds or 'permanent' and you can select 'zoom'. Hou can turn the histogram off but seems no way to turn off Auto Review.

- Vikas

Now, how to get rid of Auto Review ...
Gaffer's tape...:(

As I said before, somebody lik Leicagoodies should produce a little folding door you can stick on.

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would have assumed that the T’s wifi works in the same way as my Olympus EP-5 on an iPad/iPhone. You go to the wifi network selection tool in System Preferences, having switched the wifi on, on your camera. Then you select the camera as your wifi network instead of whatever router you were using. Then all the pictures on the camera, appear in your selected App. In the Olympus’ case it would be OL Share. If the wifi is as well documented on the Leica manual as it was in the Olympus manual, I would not be at all surprised if folks were struggling to get it working.

Wilson

To reinforce Wilson's point, on a Sony A7 the in camera app "remote control" creates a local wifi network... good for a range of up to 25 yards or so...select that in camera option to create a camera wifi network with the password to be used in "joining" that network.

On an iPhone or Ipad the camera network just created has to be be selected ( and the camera prompted password entered to enable the camera network to be joined) as the preferred wifi network

in place of any home broadband network usually selected... and once the camera network connection has been made then the iphone or ipad playmemories app can be opened to control the camera... focus.. shutter speed... aperture... zoom... WB... ISO ... and of course focus point ... and finally shutter shoot are all controlled from the iphone / ipad... and any photo taken automatically loads into the iphone or ipad camera roll for review.

Tnere is no requirement for a commercial carrier or home broadband network at all... works flawlessly with a Sony.. . I could not conceive the T will be different... maybe firmware 1.1 fixes whatever may be lacking?

Edited by bill_murray

To reinforce Wilson's point, on a Sony A7 the in camera app "remote control" creates a local wifi network... good for a range of up to 25 yards or so...select that in camera option to create a camera wifi network with the password to be used in "joining" that network.

Hi Bill

on the T it's pretty much the other way around - you create a hotspot on the phone/device, connect the camera to it then load the app on the device and you're away (see note above).

It worked for me in an underground train with no other kind of signal.

I think there's scope for approval, but it's a decent start.

all the best

• Like 1

unfortunately "Hotspot" is an option in the US that you have to pay for. If you don't pay, its not accessible in the menu. I realize this point has been beat to death, and some simple don't get it...but ad hoc is the proper way to do this. Requiring someone to create a hotspot is an odd way to do this.

• Like 1

A tiny button device communicating by NFC would suffice as a remote shutter release. All the other features of the iPhone app are unnecessary. IMHO.

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

A tiny button device communicating by NFC would suffice as a remote shutter release. All the other features of the iPhone app are unnecessary. IMHO.

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

to some they are necessary. Im thankful Leica didn't have a closed mind when designing the camera.

The manual for the T makes no mention that you would need to use your phone as a hotspot in order to get the app to work. It would be very strange if that's the way they intended it to be used but didn't mention it... It seems a fine workaround for getting the app to work in the wild if you live in a country/have a carrier and plan that allows this. But it would be very odd indeed if that's how they intended it to work...

unfortunately "Hotspot" is an option in the US that you have to pay for. If you don't pay, its not accessible in the menu.

As discussed elsewhere, this is not entirely accurate - "Hotspot" is an option if your plan allows for it (my T Mobile Plan did) or if you phone is unlocked (many are).

Why have your phone hacked or pay for an unlocked phone? So you can use your iPhone with other service providers, for example when you travel ...

So, it's actually not quite right to say that "Hotspot" is not an option is the US - it is, but it might not work for the many millions who (a) want a Leica T, (B) want to use their Leica T remotely with their iPhone outside a WiFi network, © have an unlimited AT&T data plan (which is not available anymore), and (d) don't want to have their iPhone unlocked (as they don't travel outside the US and need to use their phones with another card).

Yep, millions.

John, please give up. Yes, hotspot is not available to the majority here. Im sorry you disagree, but its the reality here in the US. Especially on AT&T which is the bulk of US customers.

I really happy that it works for you.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

John, please give up. Yes, hotspot is not available to the majority here. Im sorry you disagree, but its the reality here in the US. Especially on AT&T which is the bulk of US customers.

I'm not sure what you want me to give up - correcting a blatant misstatement? No.

The majority of iPhone users in the US can't use their iPhones as a Hotspot because of the plans they are on and they are not prepared to unlock their phones? Correct - nothing more.

Verizon is the largest by far.

Why did Leica choose WiFi when all they needed was a near field or blue tooth?

Bluetooth could be a range problem? (I'm no expert) but as far as NFC is concerned, I think the security concerns associated with it now are going to kill that technology long-term.

Anyway, as I said before, all these (very passionate apparently :eek: ) arguments are going to fade into oblivion when Leica updates this functionality in the near future.

• Like 1