Which Leica T lenses should Leica Camera develop next?

Which Leica T lenses should Leica Camera develop next?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Which Leica T lenses should Leica Camera develop next?

• Macro lens (e.g. Makro-Elmar-T f/4 60mm)
    • Fast standard lens (e.g. Summilux-T f/1.4 35 mm)
    • Fast wideangle (e.g. Summilux-T f/1.4 16 mm)
    • Fast standard zoom (e.g. Vario-Elmarit-T f/2.8 23 - 45 mm)

This will paint me as a totally unserious weekend photographer, but...

It seems to me that the T is a prime candidate as the point-and-shoot for the monied set. What is needed, though, is an all-around tourist lens, something that is effectively 28-200mm (24mm if you can do it). I suppose that means it would be a rather slow lens, which may be problematic on the long end without some form of stablization. But if one wants to use the camera as a "set it and forget it" tool, there has to be available one of those all purpose lenses that pros scoff at.

Personally, I'm rooting for a fast wide angle. Still trying to catch the perfect shot of the cieling of the Bapistary in Florence/Fiernze.

I'd opt for a fast 40mm equivalent pancake lens.

This. I think this camera screams for a pancake lens. I ordered the 23mm lens and I think I will be happy with that. But it's not quite an unobtrusive pancake. The 40mm pancake on my Canon is my most used walk around lens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am really split between a fast zoom and a fast 35mm prime.

Probably the prime would be better for Leica's system T but selfishly I love the sharp zoom and for the travel purposes I bought this camera for a more light zoom would be better.

I'd like a fast long prime as well (85-135mm), and also a fast wide prime

Probably Leica should implement in this order (after the first four lenses) and please make SILVER metal clad lenses as well

1. 35mm f1.4 (or 1.2)

2. 14mm f2.8 (or 2)

3. 70mm f2.8 Macro

4. 60mm f1.8 (or 1.4)

5. f2.8 mid range zoom

6. 23mm f1.4

7. f2.8 long zoom

8. Very long zoom

9. 12mm f2.8 (or 2)

10. Fisheye

11. Tilt and shift ?

Edited by colonel

I am really split between a fast zoom and a fast 35mm prime.

Probably the prime would be better for Leica's system T but selfishly I love the sharp zoom and for the travel purposes I bought this camera for a more light zoom would be better.

I'd like a fast long prime as well (85-135mm), and also a fast wide prime

Probably Leica should implement in this order (after the first four lenses) and please make SILVER metal clad lenses as well

1. 35mm f1.4 (or 1.2)

2. 14mm f2.8 (or 2)

3. 70mm f2.8 Macro

4. 60mm f1.8 (or 1.4)

5. f2.8 mid range zoom

6. 23mm f1.4

7. f2.8 long zoom

8. Very long zoom

9. 12mm f2.8 (or 2)

10. Fisheye

11. Tilt and shift ?

Some forums have an "optimistic" icon that you can attach to a post. I don't think it would quite measure up to the task in this case.

You'll be lucky if Leica produce the promised wide zoom, etc. before they quietly ditch the system.

You cynic;)

I am pretty much sure Leica will want to stay in the mirror-less APS-C interchangeable lens world

Tilt and shift?:D The camera doesn't even have a cable release option.

Wifi has superseded cable release

rgds

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

You cynic;)

Wifi has superseded cable release

Not for me it hasn't. IMO it's almost always far easier to screw in and use a cable release than faff about pressing virtual buttons in a smartphone app.:)

Besides, hasn't Photoshop and in-camera corrections (which the T is apparently very good at:D) superseded old tech like tilt and shift lenses?

Lenses with aperture rings. Panasonic shows how it can be done with the DG Summilux 15 1.7.

I agree. This is one physical control that I would really like added.

Those aperture rings are not mechanically linked to the aperture, right? The aperture ring on Panny lenses does nothing on Oly cameras. So the aperture can be controlled via the ring or via camera body. Or on other words, it can be incorporated such that the end user has a choice in how to control aperture. I wonder why such aperture rings aren't more popular.

Those aperture rings are not mechanically linked to the aperture, right? The aperture ring on Panny lenses does nothing on Oly cameras. So the aperture can be controlled via the ring or via camera body. Or on other words, it can be incorporated such that the end user has a choice in how to control aperture. I wonder why such aperture rings aren't more popular.

Native T- Lenses with aperture rings and distance scales on the lens focus ring would not require fiddling around with M-lenses on the smaller and not FF M-mount optimized sensor.

But maybe Leica has a FF T up its sleeves and wanted to differentiate the aps-c from the FF offering.

Wozu ein Makro, wo das Zoom auf 56 mm die kleinste Bildgröße 110 X 73 mm zuläßt? Gewünscht wird statt eines Makro ein kompaktes Portrait-Objektiv Elmarit-T 2,8/46mm(äquiv. 70mm) und statt des Blitzes ein eingebauter Sucher. Übrigens hatte ich aufgrund mangelhafter Infos lange gedacht, es sei nicht einmal ein aufsteckbarer Sucher vorhanden. Obiges Objektiv plus die 2 lieferbaren reichen m.E. erstmal aus für eine Kamera mit begrenzter Marktchance in ihrer Preisklasse.

Why a macro when, using the zoom, the smallest image size is 110 X 73 mm at 56 mm? It is more desirable to have a compact portrait lens Elmarit-T 2,8 / 46mm (70mm equiv) instead of a Macro lens and instead of a built-in flash a viewfinder. Incidentally, I thought until recently, because of inadequate information , that there was not even an attachable viewfinder available. The above lens plus the 2 available would be initially sufficient for a camera with a limited market opportunity in its price range.

Edited by jaapv
added translation

Wozu ein Makro, wo das Zoom auf 56 mm die kleinste Bildgröße 110 X 73 mm zuläßt? Gewünscht wird statt eines Makro ein kompaktes Portrait-Objektiv Elmarit-T 2,8/46mm(äquiv. 70mm) und statt des Blitzes ein eingebauter Sucher. Übrigens hatte ich aufgrund mangelhafter Infos lange gedacht, es sei nicht einmal ein aufsteckbarer Sucher vorhanden. Obiges Objektiv plus die 2 lieferbaren reichen m.E. erstmal aus für eine Kamera mit begrenzter Marktchance in ihrer Preisklasse.

Germany won 1-0