forest impressions - life & decay

Iduna

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday was a cold, wet and stormy day. What else can one do than looking what's up in the forest. Nobody else thought this being a good idea but I had to go, if you know what I mean.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

X1

Olympus OMD EM5 Leica/Panasonic Nocticron

Olympus OMD EM% Leica/Panasonic Nocticron

X1

X1

• Like 4

Often the times when the weather is not so great is when you will get the best and most interesting results, or so I find anyway.

These are lovely, subtle images with a lot of feeling imbued in them.

Stuart.

many thanks for stopping by.

Bill,

you mentioned the clarity. Thanks a lot, because this was exactly what I was aiming at. The wind gusts were strong and yet the place had its old trees not being disturbed. The foliage moved to the shutterspeed should allow a slight blurr but not too much.

Dee,

yes, what over people call grey weather I also prefer to get the deepest images. Thank you for your encouraging comment.

Paul,

thanks, this is also my preference. When you meet people they are quite surprised what a photographer might see in that dark forest. But it is not at all dark, the shades are more intense and one can try to catch as much as the sensor takes. Thanks for your nice support on this field here.

Brent,

I am happy about your response. It was this lush green and foliage and those trunks which are part of that circle and also providing a life again for others, that fascinated me. If it could be seen in the imags it is encouraging to go futher .

Ian,

many thanks for your comment The answer to your question is: no, neither filters on Nocticron nor on X1. But you are right about processing. I pushed the highlights, in this case green/ yellow a bit in order to emphasize light and shadow. I always try to get all shades of dark detailed. But what the sensor of the OMD MFT 16 MP and also the APS-C sensor in the X1 can take is amazing. Normally I expose "to the right" which means to get as much highlights as you can because you cannot get them back into pp once they're lost, whereas the dark sliders can always be pushed to the left.

Chalres,

many thanks, an overcast day provides good conditions for forest photography. Here was only the problem with twigs and branches stirred by wind. On a calm day one can use the tripod and get even much deeper "insights".

Louis,

thanks a lot. I am glad that you like my b&W rendering. I have a preset in LR for this and modify its sliders when necessary.

Yesterday was a cold, wet and stormy day. What else can one do than looking what's up in the forest.

Very well put! A lovely set, Iduna which work so well in black and white.

Kind regards

Andrew

becker,

if everybody would pick up the same apple because of its shade, the world would be reduced to conformity. It is good that we can have different interpretations. I could have processed them more punchy but that was not the mood of the day. Thanks for sharing your opinion.