Desired Future T-mount lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Which T-mount lenses would you like to see come out in the coming 18 to 24 months? Which are essential and must-haves? Which are dream lenses? Is there a lens Leica could produce for the T-mount that would clearly differentiate them from both from their own current lines of lenses and from their competitors? What would it be?

Make sure to include the reasoning behind your choice... :)

• Like 2

Which T-mount lenses would you like to see come out in the coming 18 to 24 months? Which are essential and must-haves? Which are dream lenses? Is there a lens Leica could produce for the T-mount that would clearly differentiate them from both from their own current lines of lenses and from their competitors? What would it be?

Hi Michael,

I think the announced zooms are really important.... But

I'd like to see a range of summicrons, we already have a 23, so let's have an 18, a 35, 50 and 70, all with good close focus.

An f2.8 120 .......

...... And a nice 300mm f4

• Like 5

Are you conducting this survey for Leica?

Given the size/aperture/cost restrictions, I would certainly expect (hope?) to see an 18 or 16mm f2 - but I note that the latest Summilux m4/3 is only an f1.7 - so could we see that max. aperture on the T lenses? Or do the limits imply f2 only?

As far as longer prime lenses - I would be happy with just a 50mm or 60mm f2 (75 or 90mm equiv). Maybe with macro?

But how long before any other lenses appear? YGIAGAM!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me, a "dream" T lens would be a narrow market for most here; either super-wide or full frame fisheye. A 12mm f/4 could be very compact, hopefully affordable and be a 18mm full frame equivalent. Leica could even use some of that in-camera processing expertise to create wider aspect ratio images, sort of a pseudo panorama.

So far, they've announced one prime - Summicron 23/2 (35mm equivalent) and three zooms:

• Vario-Elmarit 18-56/3.5-5.6 ASPH
  • Vario-Elmarit 11-23 wide zoom (16-35mm equivalent)
  • Vario-Elmarit 55-135 tele zoom (80-200mm equivalent)

The M camera's strength is in primes covering the range 18mm to 135mm, with its particular strength in the range 21mm to 90mm. While I would expect some very good fast primes - a fast wide of 16mm, a 36mm to cover the 50mm equivalent and a medium tele around 60mm to cover the 90mm equivalent - I would have thought that the T would cover popular focal lengths that the M doesn't and cover.

My pick is quality zooms, macros and a handful of good primes, including a long tele outside the traditional M range - a 200mm equivalent prime is a sweet spot, at the limit of handheld and a useful length. That would be a 135mm lens - with luck, it would be f/2.8. This would make it reasonably large, and reasonably expensive, but it is a great lens and has been the flagship lens for many companies.

I guess a lot will depend on Leica's commitment to this new camera and format. It made superlative R and M lenses, and I would hope they would do the same for the T line. Unless, of course, the camera is less about taking pictures than having a nice accessory to go with that Louis Vuitton bag (sorry - a very tongue in cheek comment).

I'm quite excited about this camera (I hope it is not misplaced).

Cheers

John

A M mount 14 Super Elmar would be perfect.

Frankly, since all M mount lenses can be used, why waste engineering effort in making poor prime cousins. Zooms would be sufficient for T mount as buyers will eventually gravitate towards the premium M lenses.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

For me, I would love a really good 18mm Summilux f/1.4 or Summicron f/2 (28 equivalent ) Also be nice to have Summicron 56mm ( 85mm in 35mm format ) f/2 as portrait lens.

- found buyer for my X-Vario ( locally ) and when I used the X-Vario , normally always at 18mm ( 28 in 35mm format) and sometimes at 46mm (70 in 35mm format). Never purchased zoom lenses when I had Nikon dslr. My Leica was first camera I purchased with a zoom lens.

Can you use optical viewfinders with the Leica T?

Still on the fence whether to go with Leica T and hope for more choices in prime lenses or go back to film and get Bessa R4M and Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8.... as it take 2 years save up money for M-E or M body.

Dan

• Like 1

Nope ... but if Leica happens to check out this forum, they can learn what folks are thinking... :)

Michael, it was your lack of expressing your own desires which caused me think it was an independent survey. On second thoughts, having scanned the range of replies, it would be very difficult to derive any meaningful analysis from the diversity of answers so far.

If I was in the market for a T system, I think I would be attracted to a three prime set of lenses, ranging from around 28mm to a moderately long telephoto/macro lens. In the middle there could be a third fast prime or short zoom lens covering at least 35-75mm equivalent focal lengths.

• Like 1

Michael, it was your lack of expressing your own desires which caused me think it was an independent survey. On second thoughts, having scanned the range of replies, it would be very difficult to derive any meaningful analysis from the diversity of answers so far.

If I was in the market for a T system, I think I would be attracted to a three prime set of lenses, ranging from around 28mm to a moderately long telephoto/macro lens. In the middle there could be a third fast prime or short zoom lens covering at least 35-75mm equivalent focal lengths.

I didn't want to bias the replies, but now that we have a few, my favorite would be a fast high quality 50mm (equiv), like the Noc for the M but in a smaller package and with AF. Doesn't have to be 0.95 but just faster than 2.0.

• Like 1

Once I get a few more replies, I can put together a survey, and we can see which are the most popular selections... :) I'm especially curious to see whether the primes will be in higher demand or the zooms.

Edited by michaelbrenner
added comment about which will be most popular

I don't want any zooms. (My wife will want a zoom but will never buy more than one lens.) As others have said, my vote would go to a selection of primes: 50, 90, 28, 21 EFOV.

For M owners the priority might be some lenses which provide a good complement to the M by offering further capabilities. A long prime, e.g. 180 or 200 EFOV would leverage the APS-C multiplier / small size advantage. A 60mm macro (remember the R equivalent?) would be a treat.

Edited by rob_w