Sign in to follow this  
SD79

First Leica experience Help

Today I got my first Leica rangefinder (an M4 in a very good condition) but I stumbled upon 2 issues

Loading Film

I followed the manual instructions and everything seemed to be fine until I discovered that the film was not advancing (at frame 40+): what did I do wrong?

Bright Framelines

In some angles in the 35/135 lines framelines mode I see (sometimes) one of the 50mm framelines reflection (just a thin line and only the bottom line): is this a normal reflection issue?

thanks in advance for your feedback

After the leader is in the take up slots, make sure the film sprocket holes are engaging with the teeth in the advance mechanism. Using the rewind crank, take up the slack in the cassette. After replacing the bottom plate and when advancing the film, check the rewind crank, it should move with each stroke of the the advance lever. As for the frame line problem, it may be time for a cleaning and adjustment. Welcome to the forum.

In some angles in the 35/135 lines framelines mode I see (sometimes) one of the 50mm framelines reflection (just a thin line and only the bottom line): is this a normal reflection issue?

thanks in advance for your feedback

It's not normal i.e. not usual. I received my MP back from Leica Solms (following CLA and some other work) with this issue, but after a few days it settled and no longer appears. Try flicking the frameline lever many times to see if it sorts it out.

Pete

....it doesn't sort it out. Anyway it is not something I coud not live with, but the ebay seller did not mention it. I still have the option to send it back but the camera is in a minty condition beside this minor issue. I will think about it.

thanks for your feedback

Welcome SD79 and congratulations on your "new" film M. Whereabouts are you? (If near a big city you may be able to take it to a local camera shop to have checked out.) Have you solved the film loading issue by seeing if the film is winding, as above? Also with no film loaded, press the shutter and advance a few times to see if the counter is activating. It won't go above 40. Removing the baseplate automatically resets it to zero.

Activating the frame lines depends on the lens being fully seated. Try mounting and unmounting the lens a few times and check to see you are turning it fully clockwise when mounting.

Also, try centering your eye on the VF. That can have an effect on how you see the framelines.

Getting to frame 40+ is not uncommon. Usually comes from not concentrating on checking if the rewind handle is turning as you advance the first few frames. We all have known hast pain!

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

1.) I solved the loading issue, Now I make sure that the film sprockets are engaging with the teeth and waste the first 2 frames by winding the film with the door open just to make sure.

2.) the framelines issue is still there in some angles. even with the lens un mounted and pushing with my finger on the small lever inside does not solve it. hope the repair can be covered in a regular CLA.

3.) this is my first rangefinder experience (well after a zorki) and I honestly cannot imagine how the 28 framlines look like on a M6 as I have barley some space around the 35mm lines on my M4 and I do not wear glasses.

PS and yep I do have some golden small bubbles lines into viewfinder prism. I cross fingers not to get the prism separation issue.

The framelines can and do seize up, completely in some cases, so that mounting different lenses or moving the selector lever does nothing. I suspect yours is not quite at this stage yet.

A CLA will sort it out, and is a wise precaution especially with an eBay purchase.

Enjoy your M4, they are lovely cameras.

for those that might encounter the framlines issue just to let you know that indeed a CLA sorted all the issues I had + the camera feels much smoother