T app question

can you connect to Leica T without wifi with the app if outdoors and using Leica T on tripod?

It would be handy to use iphone as shutter release and have no camera shake at all...

Dan

Yes. That's what it is designed to do.

can you connect to Leica T without wifi with the app if outdoors and using Leica T on tripod?

I would have thought it would require wifi to work unless the T can also communicate with the iPhone via some other means (e.g. bluetooth).

I haven't tested it myself but the iPhone and iPad (I am not sure since which version) can create add-hoc hotspots and that would allow the camera to connect to the device even without the use of a dedicated wifi-hotspot.

Yes, I know but I don't think a single iPhone can act as both hotspot and as a device connecting to the hotspot (which is how the T app will probably expect to work). I don't think it'll work unless you have an iPhone (or other similar device) to create the hotspot and a separate iPhone/iPod/iPad that is running the app. Would have been better IMO if Leica had provided a cable release option in the first place.:)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do not have the T yet...

But there is a similar app for my Canon. And with that I can indeed use the app to control my camera outdoors. You don't have to be connected to a different wifi for it to work. The camera and phone connect together. And you don't need a 3rd device to control the app. Although I obviously don't have proof yet, I would assume that's how this app will work. At least I hope so! It really is a useful feature and one of the things that attracted me to the T.

• Like 2

Yes, I know but I don't think a single iPhone can act as both hotspot and as a device connecting to the hotspot (which is how the T app will probably expect to work). I don't think it'll work unless you have an iPhone (or other similar device) to create the hotspot and a separate iPhone/iPod/iPad that is running the app. Would have been better IMO if Leica had provided a cable release option in the first place.:)

On my car the app has a simple WiFi connection with the car and works flawlessly in a little network. I cannot imagine Leica going for a different setup.

The only drawback is that an iPhone cannot prioritize networks according to the app chosen, so one will have to switch between the wifi connection with the camera and one's other (home) network for other applications manually.

Edited by jaapv

As StevenwithaV says...My sony a7 works by creating a wireless link between camera and iphone or ipad... no other wifi is needed... works remarkably well ... focus ... f stop.. shutter speed and release all controlled on my ipad from the comfort of my armchair indoors whilst the camera is outside trained on a bird feeder...

• Like 1