Thinking of buying an M8

Sure, but for every new owner, one more former owner. One hopes that the former owners are migrating to another Leica and not away from the brand.

Jeff

Regardless of where the previous owners are migrating, the used M8s are now going into hands that will put them to use.

Better than having them sitting in a box or drawer.

• Like 1

I had a free afternoon today and I had the chance to test my M8 for the first time.... it is quite hard to handle it when you coming from dslr :( framing through the viewfinder is not the easiest way especially the focus. Im used to manual focus but I have to say it is completely different on the Leica...

A bit embarassing but yeah a whole afternoon and I didnt captured not even 1 good photo :D

Cant even imagine how those street photographers "point-focus-and-snap" in such a quick way and with beautiful result!

• Like 1

Cant even imagine how those street photographers "point-focus-and-snap" in such a quick way and with beautiful result!

Practice, practice......and more practice. Until focusing with a rangefinder is second nature. Also, consider learning the technique of zone focusing.

It might not feel like it right now, but you'll get there. Stick with it. The results will be worth it.

Regards

• Like 3

I. it is quite hard to handle it when you coming from dslr :( framing through the viewfinder is not the easiest way especially the focus. !

It takes some time to get used to the M8.

The lack of ergonomic grip is redundant quickly.

Remember the comfort and expertise is directly proportional to the amount of use and fondling. Learn to pick the camera up, a certain way. Maybe small finger under base when focusing; all soon becomes apparent and comfortable.

Have fun it's a wonderful experience...still using mine every day at 15,000 clicks.

cheers Dave S :)

• Like 6

I had a free afternoon today and I had the chance to test my M8 for the first time.... it is quite hard to handle it when you coming from dslr :( framing through the viewfinder is not the easiest way especially the focus. Im used to manual focus but I have to say it is completely different on the Leica...

A bit embarassing but yeah a whole afternoon and I didnt captured not even 1 good photo :D

You need some more time, but you'll get there, i'm sure of that.

I'm even faster now with my M's than i ever was with an autofocus on DSLR ;)

Edited by MOZ
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Try using a short focal length lens, and setting focus by the scale on the lens, some test exposures for EV, and you can keep the camera at waist level. You don't have to look through the view finder at all.

The lenses are so good that you can deal with horizon and crop mercilessly in LRoom.

The only thing that will let you down a little in this stealthy kind of photography is the somewhat louder than the M 240 shutter on the M8.

I just put some pictures in the "Wildlife and Nature" forum that were exactly this technique, and with my M8 before I sold it. :)

• Like 2

good morning,

just bought a chrome M8. The many M8 treads on this forum gave me confidence.

I live in Africa where film processing is a bit of a challenge, so though I love and use my M6, the M8 will be welcome for daily use and immediate results.

Ben

• Like 3

good morning,

I live in Africa where film processing is a bit of a challenge, so though I love and use my M6, the M8 will be welcome for daily use and immediate results.

Ben

Welcome Ben, I like your story. You'll love the M8; I'm envious yours is a silver one...mine the boring black.

Have a great time,

cheers Dave S :)

• Like 2

good morning,

Ben

Welcome to the forum, Ben. Glad you found useful advice which informed your decision. I never parted with my M8 which I bought new. Still in use today.

• Like 3

Our FAQ:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/130720-leica-m8-m8-2-m9-m9p.html#post1378521

• Like 1

I have been shooting a lot in the last day and slowly but surely i'm getting used to the Leica....and i'm lovin it! I had to struggle to save the loot but now i dont regret it at all!

In love with the black and white..... anyone can suggest me which filter to buy to correct the 'purple' tone on sunny shots?

:D

• Like 3

I have been shooting a lot in the last day and slowly but surely i'm getting used to the Leica....and i'm lovin it! I had to struggle to save the loot but now i dont regret it at all!

In love with the black and white..... anyone can suggest me which filter to buy to correct the 'purple' tone on sunny shots?

:D

You need a B+W UV/IR Cut filter on all your lenses with the M8.

The one cited in the link is a 39mm, but you need to get the right filter thread diameter to fit the lens you are using.

I run my filters 100% of the time.

• Like 2

You should remove the filter when bright lights will be included in the scene, for example specular highlights (street lamps etc) at night, or you're likely to get light reflecting off your lens's front element then off the back side of the filter and picked up by the sensor as a 'ghost' light source.

Pete.

• Like 3

Just spotted this thread. My tuppence worth on the Elmar-M 50/2.8. I bought a new one in 2007. The build quality was appalling. There were no detents to speak of on the loose and wobbly aperture ring and the lens cell could still wobble when extended and locked. I had had some pretty dire experience with Leica service in the previous 24 months, so had no confidence in their ability to cure these faults (they are far better now). I therefore did a deal with the selling dealer and bought a Zeiss ZM Planar instead, which I still have and is my “go to” lens for technical stuff when a 50mm is called for, due to its extreme sharpness and very flat field.

When I want a very small lens (almost as small as a collapsed Elmar), I use a 40mm/f2 Summicron-C. There are various people who can improve the performance of these tiny lenses by very careful rebuilding (Malcolm Taylor, Don Goldberg, Will van Manen) to modern standards and I can say from experience, that it draws beautifully on the M8, with an EFOV of 52mm. The slope of the RF cam may need checking on some early versions.

Wilson

• Like 1

Partial x-post from another thread:

I also finally found the confidence to buy an M8 reading this forum. I recently bought an 'EX' graded body from KEH.com which turned out to be almost unused with a shutter count of only 2650. I also bought a new Nokton 35mm f/1.4 which I got in the mail yesterday.

Looking forward to putting my new friends to good use!

Edited by jonnablaze
  • Like 2

Just spotted this thread. My tuppence worth on the Elmar-M 50/2.8. I bought a new one in 2007. The build quality was appalling. There were no detents to speak of on the loose and wobbly aperture ring and the lens cell could still wobble when extended and locked. I had had some pretty dire experience with Leica service in the previous 24 months, so had no confidence in their ability to cure these faults (they are far better now). I therefore did a deal with the selling dealer and bought a Zeiss ZM Planar instead, which I still have and is my “go to” lens for technical stuff when a 50mm is called for, due to its extreme sharpness and very flat field.

When I want a very small lens (almost as small as a collapsed Elmar), I use a 40mm/f2 Summicron-C. There are various people who can improve the performance of these tiny lenses by very careful rebuilding (Malcolm Taylor, Don Goldberg, Will van Manen) to modern standards and I can say from experience, that it draws beautifully on the M8, with an EFOV of 52mm. The slope of the RF cam may need checking on some early versions.

Wilson

I had my Elmar-M ( 2007 as well) overhauled by Leica CS about a year ago and it has improved the lens beyond recognition.:)

• Like 1

Partial x-post from another thread:

I also finally found the confidence to buy an M8 reading this forum. I recently bought an 'EX' graded body from KEH.com which turned out to be almost unused with a shutter count of only 2650. I also bought a new Nokton 35mm f/1.4 which I got in the mail yesterday.

Looking forward to putting my new friends to good use!

Great combination. You will love it and KEH is a very good outfit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Order placed from Adorama yesterday and my M8 will be arriving on Friday (and the next day I will be down in Los Angeles for a few days where I'll be able to put it to some good use).

I'm a big DSLR user for my professional work (newspaper) but that equipment is just so bulky when it comes to street photography, which is something I really enjoy. In the past I've owned a Leica X1 but the fixed lens and the shutter lag was problematic so I didn't keep it long (though the image quality was still quite great and I did get some portfolio worthy shots).

I've always wanted to give a good rangefinder a go, especially an M series, so I'm really excited for it. Going to pick up the Voigtlander 21mm f4 to start out with as I tend to shoot on the wider side (so 28mm with the crop) but any recommendations for a second lens more on the budget side would be appreciated as well.