Thinking of buying an M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

is quite hard to find a M8 still under warranty due to the age of the camera...

the ones im looking at are from reputable seller (+500 positive feedbacks) and they got a pretty low shutter count (5000)....

Cant really afford to buy it from a shop :(

is quite hard to find a M8 still under warranty due to the age of the camera...

the ones im looking at are from reputable seller (+500 positive feedbacks) and they got a pretty low shutter count (5000)....

Cant really afford to buy it from a shop :(

All the good dealers offer their own store warranty.

The question is whether you can afford not to buy from one. Only time will tell.

In any case, I recommend buying insurance.

Jeff

… I was just wondering is my M42 lenses will works good on the M8 (I have some nice vintage Helios i would love to keep using on the Leica) with the right converter...has anyone tried yet?(

Welcome to the forum, Johnny.

Unfortunately I doubt that they'll be rangefinder coupled so you won't know what's in focus unless you use a zone focussing technique. Novoflex make a M42 to Leica M body adaptor so you'd be able to physically fit the lens to the body though.

If you were prepared to pay enough to purchase a Leica (Typ 240) then you'd be able to use the electronic viewfinder to focus your Helios but this may be more than you're willing to afford.

Pete.

think i may have found a solution...

I will grab a cheap Konica Hexagon (which they running pretty cheap on eBay, less than 50bucks) and once I will be back on a budget I will get something more solid. I never had/tryied a Leica so I dont feel like investing too much money as I start....;)

I saw some 50mm f1.8 and 28mm f3.5

Thoughts?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just make sure it's an M-Hexanon - the M mount version, they most likely won't be the $50 ones though. A 35mm Voigtlander Nokton would make a good pairing for an M8 - best budget around $300 or $400 for a used entry lens.

The Summicron-C 40mm or the Konica Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm is the best bang for buck lens you'll find, you'll pay a bit more but they'll hold their value so there's nothing to loose.

Just make sure it's an M-Hexanon - the M mount version, they most likely won't be the $50 ones though. A 35mm Voigtlander Nokton would make a good pairing for an M8 - best budget around $300 or $400 for a used entry lens.

The Summicron-C 40mm or the Konica Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm is the best bang for buck lens you'll find, you'll pay a bit more but they'll hold their value so there's nothing to loose.

I agree.

Buying used also allows you to bail out and recoup most or all of your investment if you find you don't like it.

Voigtlander is not a bad choice at all for the M8.

When I made the plunge I rented a lens to try with the M8. I had the same concerns.

However, I really like the camera and since then have invested in two Zeiss lenses (28mm & 50mm) as the camera is a keeper for me.

Let me "warn" you !

Coming from a DSLR, a M8 might dissapoint you !

In terms of speed, or better, the lack of (writing takes forever) !

Poor display quality ... mandatory use of certain filters ... low ISO performance ...

BUT once you get over this, you'll have a great tool at your disposal, which will take you back to the essentials of photography !

You will not regret it !

Rgds

Ulev

I changed from a Canon DSLR last year October (I was planning to upgrade to a full-frame Canon, bought instead a M8 with around 5000 performed shots)... My dad thought I'm nuts which I occasionally thought as well. However, it is a completely different shooting experience. No (!) auto-focus, everything happens first in your mind then in the camera. As publicly known the M8 has various short comings. However, I do not think that is a major let down to the experiences you'll have shooting with this camera. As all of us M8 users, you'll learn to work around those and won't regret your decision. I love mine and for sure will never give it away again.

So, don't worry bout short comings, just go out enjoy shooting with your M8.

Let me "warn" you !

Coming from a DSLR, a M8 might dissapoint you !

In terms of speed, or better, the lack of (writing takes forever) !

Poor display quality ... mandatory use of certain filters ... low ISO performance ...

BUT once you get over this, you'll have a great tool at your disposal, which will take you back to the essentials of photography !

You will not regret it !

Rgds

Ulev

I started reading your post and was about to counter, but your BUT statement pretty much nailed my experience, too. My D800 is spending a lot of time doing nothing now days.

I'm really excited to get my hands on my first Leica..I use a lot of vintage lenses on my Canon so pretty much Im getting used to manual focus etc....

Now I just need to decide which one to grab, I have 2 good choices on eBay...the first from a professional store, 2500 counts on the shutter with 30days warranty - pretty good conditions but the bottom plate with some scratches :(

the second one would be for a private person (which I could personally pickup since he is not too far) in mint condition, 3000 counts on shutter but just a small chip on the viewfinder (pic attached)

ofog7p.jpg

decisions decisions :confused:

You can easily find a base plate, but not so much replace a viewfinder. Out of the two personally I would go for the one with a thirty day warranty, and use that period to test and look for any 'issues'.

+1

John

Guest Her Berger
…the first from a professional store, 2500 counts on the shutter with 30days warranty - pretty good conditions but the bottom plate with some scratches :(

decisions decisions :confused:

Hi Jonnyboy,

don't be confused. The M8 is a working horse, a tool to take photos.

Never mind scratches or dings and dongs. Technically it must be good. Optically? Hm

In B/W its a good choice.

(I moved back to an MP and my beloved IIIf.

My M8 is a dust catcher.)