The A7 went this morning and I'm taking the plunge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Again, this is a simplification that may be true for the subset you tested it with but which is not extrapolateable to all M mount lenses and even less, when comparing to a crop camera like the "T".

Okay, I'm not talking in other peoples' absolutes. I can only speak to my personal experience with these lenses:

50mm Summicron

35mm Summilux ASPH - non-FLE

35mm Summarit

50mm Summilux ASPH

90mm Elmarit

75mm Summarit

21mm Super Elmar

28mm Elmarit

40mm Nokton Voigtlander

15mm Heliar Voigtlander

50mm MS Optical Sonnetar

35mm MS Optical Perar

I did however like the A7r with it's native 35 but didn't really want another "library" of lenses at this juncture so I cut my losses - I sold it and put the proceeds toward a M240 which works great with all of the above (barring the 15mm).

• Like 1

Like Colonel, I agree to disagree as well. John, I think a Sony - how good it ever might be - will never have a chance with you. You obviously will always find somethink that is not perfect and will subjectively rate it 10 times stronger than any of the multiple shortcoming of the cameras with your preferred brands.

Not just wrong, but rude to boot!

I was massively enthusiastic about the A7r, ordered it on launch, and enjoyed using it (mostly). But when it failed to focus too many times, in broad daylight, with its native AF zoom, and the MF just did nothing at all, I lost my patience with it. It was my 4th Sony camera (if memory serves me).

Not sure why you're personalizing this - and so inaccurately (if you had missed my criticism of Leica of other threads). I guess it's the most simplistic means of disagreeing with what some one has to say.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I have two Sony Cameras RX100 and A7R. I am quite happy with both. For me, RX100 is the best pocketable (digital) camera.

I use my R lenses on both the A7R (w/Metabone adapter) and D800E. Both D800E and A7R are not forgiving sometimes.

This picture was taken with Sony A7R with R 80 LUX with Metabone adapter (handheld @ 1000 ISO, 1/60 Sec) during my evening walk

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

John, something like "for image quality, the A7r in real life is absolutely no match for the D800 or the M9 or the Monochrom." is far from reality and so an answer to that may sound always inconvenient to you.

The AF of the A7R works comparatively accurate, if configured and used adequate, especially when using a zoom lens that does not open as wide as a fast prime with a shallow DOF. If you followed the forum discussions about the AF problems of a D800 (my D800E was three times in service and the problems could not be fixed for my set of lenses as a matter of principle), you get a different valuation of the A7 / A7R autofocus.

But I learn that a discussion about a luxury lifestyle product can not be objective and is directed ad absudum, if a decision for a mediocre, but charming looking product is explained by malperformance of a camera like the A7R.

• Like 3

Okay, I'm not talking in other peoples' absolutes. I can only speak to my personal experience with these lenses:

I did however like the A7r with it's native 35 but didn't really want another "library" of lenses at this juncture so I cut my losses - I sold it and put the proceeds toward a M240 which works great with all of the above (barring the 15mm).

zounds!

Why would anyone buy one camera to use exclusively with lenses of another system!

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this report. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it."

Groucho Marx

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why would anyone buy one camera to use exclusively with lenses of another system!

Well, I did have the Sony 35mm. ;)

...but mainly because, as much as I liked my M9-P, I did want better dynamic range, live view and low light capability. A lot of us got the A7/A7r specifically for rangefinder lenses. For some of us it worked out fine, for others like myself, not so much. ;)

My experiences with the A7r actually helped drive me into finally getting the M 240. It all works out in the end. :cool:

Life is short but, hey, at least we get to photograph it and share the photos... ^_^

• Like 2

John, something like "for image quality, the A7r in real life is absolutely no match for the D800 or the M9 or the Monochrom." is far from reality and so an answer to that may sound always inconvenient to you.

The AF of the A7R works comparatively accurate, if configured and used adequate, especially when using a zoom lens that does not open as wide as a fast prime with a shallow DOF. If you followed the forum discussions about the AF problems of a D800 (my D800E was three times in service and the problems could not be fixed for my set of lenses as a matter of principle), you get a different valuation of the A7 / A7R autofocus.

But I learn that a discussion about a luxury lifestyle product can not be objective and is directed ad absudum, if a decision for a mediocre, but charming looking product is explained by malperformance of a camera like the A7R.

My statement of my experience of all three cameras is no justification for the assumptions you make, nor your rudeness. Just for the record - I have never made a statement about the image quality of the T - nothing more than I'm interested and I'm giving it a go.

But don't let the inconvenience of the facts get in the way of your posting. My D800E has performed flawlessly, with none of the crap I had to put up with from the A7r. So, your experience differs. That doesn't entitle you to make dismissive, personal comments about me or my motivation.

I have never made a statement about the image quality of the T - nothing more than I'm interested and I'm giving it a go.

That doesn't entitle you to make dismissive, personal comments about me or my motivation.

You are right, that you did not directly made a statement about the image qua lity of the T (as it can not be done at the moment by anyone). But a thread title like "The A7 went this morning and I'm taking the plunge" in combination with your comparisons to the M, M9 and D800E expresses, that you expect from the T something that meets your requirements better than the A7®.

I simply interpret the motivation behind your thread. If you feel personally attacked, sorry for that.

• Like 1

I did. I bought the A7 as a substitute for my M. I work in some dodgy places where I do not want to openly use my M. I have the Novoflex adapter and only use my Leica and ZM lenses. I am have become quite fond of the A7 and I am more than happy with the quality of the images, so much so, that I am seriously thinking about selling the M.

David

• Like 1

One of the reasons, I bought the Sony A7R was to use my R prime lenses.

I also bought the FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Lens as well. Somehow I like manual lenses better than auto focus lenses - I miss using the aperture ring :D

Edited by AB007
  • Like 3

I did. I bought the A7 as a substitute for my M. I work in some dodgy places where I do not want to openly use my M. I have the Novoflex adapter and only use my Leica and ZM lenses. I am have become quite fond of the A7 and I am more than happy with the quality of the images, so much so, that I am seriously thinking about selling the M.

David

I hear you. I am more and more impressed by my A7 and am about to buy a 2nd body. My leica m now only gets used with the 28 cron asph and the WATE.. I am finding it harder and harder to justify the M but I do love it for street work, but even then I shoot a lot f'rom the hip' so even the rangefinder doesn't get a lot of use as I have to use the EVF with the WATE. No way would I trade the A7 for the T.

• Like 1

I hear you. I am more and more impressed by my A7 and am about to buy a 2nd body. My leica m now only gets used with the 28 cron asph and the WATE.. I am finding it harder and harder to justify the M but I do love it for street work, but even then I shoot a lot f'rom the hip' so even the rangefinder doesn't get a lot of use as I have to use the EVF with the WATE. No way would I trade the A7 for the T.

I couldn't live with either of them . . . . . . but I'm impressed by the direction, and although the A7r and A7 have gone, the 24-70 f4 and the 55 f1.8 are snuggled up warmly in my cabinet waiting for the next great thing . . . the A9 perhaps?

• Like 2

I couldn't live with either of them . . . . . . but I'm impressed by the direction, and although the A7r and A7 have gone, the 24-70 f4 and the 55 f1.8 are snuggled up warmly in my cabinet waiting for the next great thing . . . the A9 perhaps?

At least they have each other to keep themselves warm!

• Like 1

David

TRAITOR !!

You will have your camera straps ritually slashed and drummed out of the forum.

Cease this treasonous talk and buy a T for gods sake ......

• Like 5

You are right, that you did not directly made a statement about the image qua lity of the T (as it can not be done at the moment by anyone). But a thread title like "The A7 went this morning and I'm taking the plunge" in combination with your comparisons to the M, M9 and D800E expresses, that you expect from the T something that meets your requirements better than the A7®.

I simply interpret the motivation behind your thread. If you feel personally attacked, sorry for that.

I don't think anyone would serious suggest that the A7r and the T are comparable. But I am hoping that the T will "meet my needs" better than the A7r. My needs are for a camera which is smaller and simpler than my M cameras for a walk around, fully electronic alternative. I would buy one AF mid range zoom and an M adapter so I can use my M lenses. That has always been my intention.

The A7r did not meet my needs.

Will the T? Who knows. The failure of the A7r for me does not justify your assumption that I have something against Sony. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is also my experience that the D800E is a better platform for this sensor. Sure, there were left hand side alignment issues with the Nikon - it may be that Sony has perfect QA. However, my experience is that the D800E is overall a better package, and my copy does suffer from any QA issues - it focuses perfectly.

My motivation is simply to find a camera which better fills my needs - that does not mean the cameras have to be comparable - my needs are for a smaller electronic complement to my M9, Monochrom & Nikon. Had the A7r worked well on is own terms, I would have kept it. It didn't. If the T works well on its own terms and meets my needs, I will keep it till something better come along.

If you want a consistent point for me - I take mostly B&W with my Monochrom. I like its manual purity. I want an electronic colour camera to complement it and as an alternative to my M9 (not a replacement). Logically, it would be the M(240), but that camera doesn't do it for me.

Not sure I can be clearer.

• Like 6

TRAITOR !!

Don't worry - we all know what happens when you sell your Leica . . . you feel great for a week, and then you feel bad for a month . . . . . and then you buy another one.

• Like 12

TRAITOR !!

If I keep my M7 (which I intend to) does that allow me to stay in your gang ?

David

• Like 1