The A7 went this morning and I'm taking the plunge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Isn't this what cell phone cameras are for? No joke, I'm serious.

I use one if I have nothing else to hand or want something resembling a visual note. Otherwise, I find a 'proper' camera more ergonomic, responsive and, ultimately, quicker to use.

• Like 1

I use one if I have nothing else to hand or want something resembling a visual note. Otherwise, I find a 'proper' camera more ergonomic, responsive and, ultimately, quicker to use.

Of course. But nothing is quicker if you are not making any setting changes and just want to upload a photo in some way. Paradoxically the touch interface is both a positive and a negative feature on these. I see the touchscreen on the T the same way.

Paradoxically the touch interface is both a positive and a negative feature on these. I see the touchscreen on the T the same way.

Agreed. I also generally find touchscreen devices awkward to hold compared with equivalent devices that have physical buttons.

I must admit I viewed this thread due to someone selling an A7. This made me wonder why since most complaints with the Sonys had been with the A7r. Then I realized John was talking the A7r and it all fit into place. I sent my A7r back after 10 days and have never looked back.

Since few mention how they plan to use their T images or furthermore how they currently use their M9 or M240 images, I find that strange. To me that is one important aspect of why a T could fit into someones kit bag.

Then again Dale Photo mentioned that they can print T images 20x30 no problem and a bit larger should be no problem if that be needed. I seldom post so printing is my priority, but that being said I might post more after getting the T. I will try using one next week while in Florence, but I will wait for the black myself. I plan on three zooms and an M adapter, but will probably find myself using AF lenses on that body once a long zoom is available.

• Like 1

I must admit I viewed this thread due to someone selling an A7. This made me wonder why since most complaints with the Sonys had been with the A7r. Then I realized John was talking the A7r and it all fit into place. I sent my A7r back after 10 days and have never looked back.

My main issue with the A7r was that it missed focus a lot with it's native 35mm, even with spot focus. I had the Sony RX1 for a while as well - it suffered from the same problem. :(

I had got the A7r to use with my Leica glass but soon found it was only really great in terms of image quality with its own lenses.

Since few mention how they plan to use their T images or furthermore how they currently use their M9 or M240 images, I find that strange. To me that is one important aspect of why a T could fit into someones kit bag.
I thought that was interesting as well. My M9 and M240 are perfect for portraits and landscapes but less so for "candid people shots"...I'm hoping the T will fit that role. Being able to use M lenses on it with EXIF tags is nice too. ;)

Then again Dale Photo mentioned that they can print T images 20x30 no problem and a bit larger should be no problem if that be needed. I seldom post so printing is my priority, but that being said I might post more after getting the T. I will try using one next week while in Florence, but I will wait for the black myself. I plan on three zooms and an M adapter, but will probably find myself using AF lenses on that body once a long zoom is available.

good luck, i hope you get used to touchscreen :p

I have never had focus issues with my RX-1 so that was why I got the a7r.

Weird.

A good 20% of the shots I took were always mis-focused, the camera would grab the background instead of the subject. (Not user-error I can assure you ;) )

Nice camera otherwise...

I have wondered for some time if Leica would be brave enough to allow people to configure their menus from a PC link.

What most people struggle with is wading through layers of menu settings to find what they want, and getting used to features they've allocated to their soft buttons. The camera screen is generally a poor place to do this. I love the idea that you choose those functions on the T (My Camera). Taking that one step further, imagine if you could attach your new M(360) to your computer and configure your camera menu settings and soft button allocations - that way, Alan can set up menus with every option that the electronics can allow, and those of who like simplicity can strip back the menu settings to bare essentials.

To ease this process, Leica could provide sample set-ups for those who like the camera to do everything (Program, Auto-ISO, Auto-White Balance, JPEGS etc), then one for those who have a Windows PC mentality and like bloat, and then one for those who like to control what is necessary and nothing more (Apple mentality, if you prefer).

I suspect that the manual mechanical purity of the M camera went with the M(240), confused puppy that it is. So, Leica needs to re-establish its place at the top of the Leica product range - hopefully, it will have a clear focus and will offer the best that technology has available. That would mean upgrades to the sensor (even though it is apparently very good), the processor, the poor EVF implementation and actually an entire review of the camera to get rid of what appears to be scope creep.

There's been some delay in the delivery of my T camera - not sure what has happened, but it looks like I will get it on the official release date. I suspect Leica has reined in distributers who jumped the gun.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

This makes sense and I think there will be more configuration ability. Some cameras are going the Android route which gives you options via those apps. The new Sony models have Play Memory Apps where you can download and activate different features - e.g. remote control, time lapse, special filters, retouching capability. I recall the Canon 1Ds could be attached to a computer to program some functions on it.

Considering the regular menus let you turn off the video button, IS, electronic first curtain, focus peaking, and other things, it is pretty customizable already. Although with so much functionality and customization, the menus are far from simple. But if the mechanical stuff such as IS is not built in, you can't miraculously activate it.

Edited by AlanG

Well, having read a few posts about the A7, I was in my local camera shop and commented that it would be really nice to have an simplistic OM1/R4 style and sized FF dSLR and was promptly handed an A7.

This is quite simply not a camera I would ever even consider owning. To me it fails on just about every count - but most of all the viewfinder, which to me felt like looking at a 60s TV through a short tunnel. Each to their own but the A7s not for me. All that said, I'm sure that it produces good images. The T looks visually far more appealing with its simple styling, but EVFs have a long, long way to evolve as far as I'm concerned.

Have been out all day shooting a project with the leica M and WATE along with the A7 and FE 24-70 and 135 apo-telyt. I just love this combo!!!

You can see the start of this project which is a mixture of images taken with both these of cameras here

From Grain to Gravesend

The T may look more appealing but.............

P.S focus on all the shots taken with the A7 were spot on

Edited by viramati
  • Like 7

When I look at photos that I appreciate, I rarely study them for technical qualities or think about what equipment might have been involved in the making of them. When I do, it's usually because the photo is too boring to give me something worthwhile to think about.

David, I really enjoyed looking at your photos.

• Like 3

I have wondered for some time if Leica would be brave enough to allow people to configure their menus from a PC link.

What most people struggle with is wading through layers of menu settings to find what they want, and getting used to features they've allocated to their soft buttons. The camera screen is generally a poor place to do this. I love the idea that you choose those functions on the T (My Camera). Taking that one step further, imagine if you could attach your new M(360) to your computer and configure your camera menu settings and soft button allocations - that way, Alan can set up menus with every option that the electronics can allow, and those of who like simplicity can strip back the menu settings to bare essentials.

To ease this process, Leica could provide sample set-ups for those who like the camera to do everything (Program, Auto-ISO, Auto-White Balance, JPEGS etc), then one for those who have a Windows PC mentality and like bloat, and then one for those who like to control what is necessary and nothing more (Apple mentality, if you prefer).

I suspect that the manual mechanical purity of the M camera went with the M(240), confused puppy that it is. So, Leica needs to re-establish its place at the top of the Leica product range - hopefully, it will have a clear focus and will offer the best that technology has available. That would mean upgrades to the sensor (even though it is apparently very good), the processor, the poor EVF implementation and actually an entire review of the camera to get rid of what appears to be scope creep.

There's been some delay in the delivery of my T camera - not sure what has happened, but it looks like I will get it on the official release date. I suspect Leica has reined in distributers who jumped the gun.

Cheers

John

HI John

I think the gun jumpers have been reigned in too.

As far as configuring the menus is concerned - it couldn't be simpler if it were on a PC - honestly, it's a complete snap - really simple. just a case of dragging icons. It's just as well really because in my opinion the default 'camera' menu is pretty potty!

All the best

Thanks Peter and Paul for the kind words. I am sure the T will be capable of taking some fine images but it just isn't a camera that I feel would 'extend' my photographic capabilities. Between the Leica M, A7 and fuji X100s (for totally silent work) I feel I have everything pretty much covered for what I do and the only camera that intrigues me at the moment is the yet to be released Sony A7s

• Like 1

Nice set of images.

I just am curious why you could not have shot all of them with the M instead of using the M and a7? Not a criticism, but just a question.

Because I tend to work with 2 bodies at the same time. In the series I have used the M mostly with the WATE (and CV21/1.8 when the WATE was off being repaired) and at times with the 28 cron asph using the EVF all the time. On the A7 I have mostly used the FE 55/1.8, leica apo-telyt 135/3.4 and FE24-70/4. On Friday I spent a whole day on the project (images not posted yet) and I carried just the M with WATE, A7 with 24-70 and the 135 so a relatively light and mobile kit covering nearly everything from 16-135mm. When doing PR work I will tend to use the M with the 28 cron asph and the A7 with the FE55/1.8 and will carry the CV35/1.2 and CV 21/1.8 which will work well on either body plus the little fuji X100s if I need to be totally silent. I used to use 2 M9's with 28 on one and 50 lux on the other but just wasn't happy with my hit rate focus wise with the 50 lux and am now more confident and happy with the hit rate with the A7 and 55 (plus the fact that this is a superb lens in every way)

Edited by viramati
  • Like 2

I find myself in a quandary.

Years ago, though apparently a logical step at the time but in what turned out to be an aberrant fit of madness, I sold my Leica M6 and the whole slew of Leica glass I'd built up over the years.

More recently with a grown up family and hence more time on my hands, I found myself wanting to get back into my old hobby. My heart told me to go out and buy a Leica, but given I'd have to start from scratch, body, lenses and all, my head told me that getting the then new Sony A7R would be a more sensible, offer a similar RF experience with a far lower financial commitment. So I bought one along with the three dedicated FF Zeiss lenses.

It has to be said that imo the Sony is a fine camera capable of producing superb IQ when used according to it's strengths, but it does have issues and quite apart from that it's certainly NO Leica. My main gripes are it's slow and often inaccurate AF (not that I wedded to AF at all but it's supposed to be designed for that) especially in anything less than good light coupled with a less than forgiving 36mp FF sensor all making focusing more than a bit hit and miss especially if you're in a hurry, and it's very noisy shutter all of which imo renders it pretty much useless for street photography. That being said as a landscape/architectural camera, assuming Zeiss pull their figure out and get some dedicated fast UWA glass on the market, I think it would be hard to better.

So...... do I stick with the Sony, use it according to its strengths and learn to live with its other shortcomings and perhaps get my Leica 'fix' from a T with a couple of T zooms as a carry around for street/spontaneous/travel photography, or do I trade in the Sony + lenses, offer the bank manager my house, my car and my body ;), take a deep breath and go buy a Leica M?

No camera is worth getting into financial difficulties over, but reading your post it sounds like nothing less than an M (or ME) will make you happy. Have you considered a used M9 or even M8 with Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses?