T-body with only M lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

im curious how it handles M lenses compared to typical M body? Im interested of user's experience in handling, operation.

Ricoh GX M-mount is another option to consider as well.Instead of buying new lenses for each system, Id like reuse M-lenses.Currently I got accustomed to 1.5x crop in Epson Rd1 sensor, so I keep using the stable of lenses.

I like the T camera in overall and it weighs almost half of M-body. It looks like evolution of Barnack camera. The grip thing looks comfortable.

I was tempted as well but the first DNG files i've developed look softer than M ones and Sean Reid seems to share the same opinion when comparing the T to the Ricoh with M lenses. The T should have a better EVF than the latter's though.

• Like 1

I am absolutely looking for a crop-sensor body for use with M lenses.

Question is, what's the best out there? Sony, Fuji, Ricoh or Leica?

I like the idea of the T as it feels great and is truly well made.

However, I will not wish to spend too much money on a depreciating asset, which is what most digital products are.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Ricoh GXR has already depreciated. So it might be a good start - if you can still get one... By the way, Sean Reid thinks that it's the best "non-M" solution for m-mount lenses.

Best regards, Gerd

(GXR M-mount owner: Ricoh GXR: Me and the M-Mount)

• Like 2

Though the appeal of T, for US, is surely also in the capability to mount M lenses, I'd be curios to see comparisions of 21-28-35-50 M with the corresponding focals of the std. zoom... ;) (at same apertures... the capability to have 1,4 and 2 is imho the real interest of M lenses on T)

• Like 1

The Ricoh GXR has already depreciated. So it might be a good start - if you can still get one... By the way, Sean Reid thinks that it's the best "non-M" solution for m-mount lenses.

Best regards, Gerd

(GXR M-mount owner: Ricoh GXR: Me and the M-Mount)

I will look at overall handling and compare both cameras. I like some things of T as big screen without buttons on rear, ability to customize layout on screen, file transfer to any device under WIFI, large battery, sturdiness. All things combined together would make closer to the experience of using a smartphone as camera. Seamless operation without taking out battery or card is what I want to have..

IQ of sensor is normally not on my high priority list and I'm sure T deliver enough of punch to up A2 prints.

Edited by tomasis7

However, I will not wish to spend too much money on a depreciating asset, which is what most digital products are.

Luckily, M lenses dont depreciate so fast. A body for 1350£ is still reasonable if this can be used as a tool.

Why not ? Is uncodable, but mine works fine on my M8 (and maybe on M to... haven't yet tried), apart metering which is "vague" (as declared by Leica).

I thought more of the physical size as im worried about the metal barrel sticking out of the SA lens.

Hum... physically, maybe some lenses can indeed give some surprise when mounted on T+adapter... the whole dimensioning / shaping is much different from M... but I think that the SA 21 f3,4 is not one of the most critical in this sense.... it seems that on the T you can mount even a Noctilux which is surely more problematic. Probably, in this context the R lenses are, in certain sense, more "safe"... you have 2 adapters stacked (T/M & M/R) and you probably override the right handgrip, having no problems even with large-diameter lenses.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

I was tempted as well but the first DNG files i've developed look softer than M ones and Sean Reid seems to share the same opinion when comparing the T to the Ricoh with M lenses. The T should have a better EVF than the latter's though.

Speaking of it, did Reid use final firmware on camera?

Hum... physically, maybe some lenses can indeed give some surprise when mounted on T+adapter... the whole dimensioning / shaping is much different from M... but I think that the SA 21 f3,4 is not one of the most critical in this sense.... it seems that on the T you can mount even a Noctilux which is surely more problematic. Probably, in this context the R lenses are, in certain sense, more "safe"... you have 2 adapters stacked (T/M & M/R) and you probably override the right handgrip, having no problems even with large-diameter lenses.

I agree that M mount adapter may extend the lens further a bit. Heck it would be nice to use T with SA3.4 :p

A Novaflex adapted Sony NEX-6 will save you at least $1500 with absolutely no noticeable decline in image quality. AND it has a built in VF.

If you want to only arms length, zombie shoot, or if you want to buy a clunky add-on VF, you can buy a NEX-5 with an M adapter, and save even more.

• Like 3

A Novaflex adapted Sony NEX-6 will save you at least $1500 with absolutely no noticeable decline in image quality. AND it has a built in VF.

If you want to only arms length, zombie shoot, or if you want to buy a clunky add-on VF, you can buy a NEX-5 with an M adapter, and save even more.

I do have NEX-6 and have taken *enough* test shots with CV15, 28cron-ASPH, 50lux-ASPH. I get acceptable results only after f8 for *corner to corner sharpness". It doesn't mean that I don't use them wider but I know what I am getting. I am interested to know what Leica T does in comparison.

For longer lenses (I have 90mm Tele-Elamrit-M, 80-200 Vario R and 400 Telyt), NEX-6 works beautifully at all apertures.... BUT it has more shutter shock when I compare 90mm mounted on M9.

I am keeping an eye on how T performs for wider Ms.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 2

I thought the Ricoh module camera was discontinued?