M8 tethered - Which hardware / software?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some of you may be asking, "Why?"

In answer, lenses like the 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH and 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH draw like no other lenses on Leica M-cameras. For architectural photography, the detail and microcontrast with these lenses gives images with a unique look.

I have EOS 5D mk II, EF 24mm f/3.5L TS-E, and 16-35mm f/2.8L, and they draw adequately.

The M8 does very well with the 21mm or 35mm for architecture, as this image of Oakland, California's Cathedral of Christ the Light shows.

For interior photography, tight quarters make tethered camera operation very useful.

*** Has anyone used a Leica M8 tethered, either wired or wireless?

*** What hardware and software was required?

I NEED to control and view on a MacBook Air 2013 running Lightroom 5.4 in OS X Mavericks.

I don't have Leica Digital Capture software anymore, I can't find a source for download. I'd use it if I had it.

I'd like to use an iPad Mini for remote control and viewing if possible.

I'd like to shoot wireless, but will accept a wired tether.

I'd like remote shutter triggering.

I'd like remote viewing before capture if possible.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

First, the only camera that has live view is the M240. You need live view so you can perform the focus and composition. However, you still need to manually turn the focus ring and aperture ring on the lens.

The M8 does not have live view and the only remote control you can get is a mechanical shutter release.

Even using Eye-Fi with the M8 only sort of works, but that will only send the JPG file to your iPad and due to the metal construction the distance is severely limited. Eye-Fi does not control the camera.

If I were doing interior shots I would use a Nikon D800, the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 UWA zoom, and a CamRanger for wireless tethering.

The 14-24mm Nikkor microcontrast is right up there with the best lenses and the D800 will perform full tethering along with remote autofocus and aperture control. Using a tethered approach will also help mitigate the focus shift that the 14-24mm lens has.

The D800 also has superior ISO and Nikon's creative flash lighting system(CFL) is downright amazing. You can use the built in flash as a commander for external flash, which is very handy.

While I love the M cameras for what you want it is like using a canoe for a speed boat.

• 3 months later...

I have just purchased Leica M8 used. SN#3101011 and Firmware 2014.

I have taken few pictures and then tried to connect it Lightroom 5.4 in MacBook Air through USB cable.

At first, M8 appeared as an import source. Then, I tried the fettered menu without success; it was not recognised as a source.

Afterwards, M8 got locked and removing the USB cable, waiting sometime without battery and/or SD card have not remedied the situation. It just shows it get on with red light without any buttons responding, including the shutter.

Any suggestions helping me to unlock my M8 from its locked state will be appreciated very much.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some of you may be asking, "Why?"

In answer, lenses like the 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH and 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH draw like no other lenses on Leica M-cameras. For architectural photography, the detail and microcontrast with these lenses gives images with a unique look.

I have EOS 5D mk II, EF 24mm f/3.5L TS-E, and 16-35mm f/2.8L, and they draw adequately.

The M8 does very well with the 21mm or 35mm for architecture, as this image of Oakland, California's Cathedral of Christ the Light shows.

For interior photography, tight quarters make tethered camera operation very useful.

*** Has anyone used a Leica M8 tethered, either wired or wireless?

*** What hardware and software was required?

I NEED to control and view on a MacBook Air 2013 running Lightroom 5.4 in OS X Mavericks.

I don't have Leica Digital Capture software anymore, I can't find a source for download. I'd use it if I had it.

I'd like to use an iPad Mini for remote control and viewing if possible.

I'd like to shoot wireless, but will accept a wired tether.

I'd like remote shutter triggering.

I'd like remote viewing before capture if possible.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

I have connected M8 SN#3101011 w/Firmware 2014 with Lightroom 5.4 installed in MacBook Air through USB.

The software does not recognise M8 as a camera in tethered capture menu. Therefore, even mechanical triggering M8 is not possible.

Anybody is successful in tethered capture with M8?

As told in post no. 3, you can use Aperture and the USB cable.

Connect the camera, switch it on. You get the import panel in Aperture, select File, then Tether. You can use "Capture" on the screen to take the picture. If you use Photostream the pictures start uploading before you end the session. (I have to end the session to view the pictures on the computer screen, but I might be doing something wrong).

• Like 1

Yes, you can use Image Capture also. You can even use it to take serial pictures with interval from seconds to hours (screenshot in norwegian). PS. I think Image Capture works better than Aperture.

Edited by Nordvik

Yes, you can use Image Capture also. You can even use it to take serial pictures with interval from seconds to hours (screenshot in norwegian). PS. I think Image Capture works better than Aperture.

Thanks for that. I wish there were an iOS equivalent.

I was just looking at the libraries Image Capture uses to see if I can code some goodies for the laptop. Apple's built-in image handling is very good.

I did some more testing. If you enlarge the "Take Picture" window you will get a full screen view of the last image.

OT: As you could see there was a lot of moire from the screen. I was taking jpg b/w + DNG. Compare camera b/w with DNG converted to b/w (with Aperture):