Leica T performs digital lens correction , a claim by dpreview.com

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Precision is not profit to try and increase it. Precision is as much as needed to do the job, and the job is done for the last 6 decades. The beauty of the M is it's VF and the fast responce RF

I am not going to argue with you over the need for this. I made my points. As an example, Hasselblad found a way to compensate for using the center focus point and re-framing. Some lenses will benefit from changing the focus point for different apertures. The higher the pixel count the greater precision required from the focusing mechanism. This has become apparent to everyone who has shifted from film to magnified view on a large desktop monitor... regardless of camera used.

Shooting film, the precision was so unimportant to many that some did not even realize their rangefinders were off. I am sure plenty of users decided to calibrate their cameras and lenses after the M8 came out and they realized it was the RF that was off not some failure of their own technique.

Please try to consider this key point:

A removable optical VF/RF could also work on the T in place of an EVF. So much of the development has been done already. Surely T lenses transmit distance information.They just need to make this device and add a focus sensor to the M adapter and voila, a rangefinder T for M and T lenses. Next would be to see if a FF model makes sense.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

You do know that if you don't consider new possibilities, progress stops. There was a time when Leica did not consider the SLR, did not consider AF and was also behind technologically when digital came about.

I think Leica is looking forward now and I am not saying my suggestion is the only way to go... just an option to consider if they want to go to a FF AF camera someday and still have some kind of focus coupling with the M lenses and optical viewfinder for new lenses. It will give Leica engineers the opportunity to see if they can advance the optical VF/RF in various ways (including having it zoom when changing lenses) and if successful this will help keep Leicas different from other cameras. Otherwise we have pretty much reached the end of rangefinder development.

Consider that such an optical VF/RF could also work on the T in place of an EVF. So much of the development has been done already. They just need to make this device and add a focus sensor to the M adapter and voila, a rangefinder T for M and T lenses. Next would be to see if a FF model makes sense.

Meanwhile the M can go on with basic upgrades as long as it sells well. There is not much else to do with it. That is probably why they developed the T.

Im confused.

How do optical viewfinder work in conjunction with M adapter and built in focus sensor if we talk about good old moving parallax focusing patch in the optical viewfinder aka M3. Or how do you recognize when it is in focus using sensor somewhere else? I didnt look at Fuji, i could imagine focusing patches are digital. The question is how good. For me, Bessa optical VF failed as the patch wasnt bright enough. I think it is hard to make improvements of VF in small package. If optical coupling is possible on T body, why not?

T camera looks like experimentation prototype for Leica marketers and engineers. Touch screen was used to test reaction of M users and it may influence decisions of making next M. If they made body thinner and made rear layout aka T and add ISO dial on the top aka RD1, And as for final part, add 0,91x. That I would call progress!

Whether cameras get improved, my way of photographing can either get worse or better. Same argumentation occured when M body was compared to DSLR. Manual versus AF.

I'm way faster on rangefinder than any worlds fastest AF can bring on if we speak street photographing and camera as eye extension.

• Like 1

Im confused.

How do optical viewfinder work in conjunction with M adapter and built in focus sensor if we talk about good old moving parallax focusing patch in the optical viewfinder aka M3. Or how do you recognize when it is in focus using sensor somewhere else? I didnt look at Fuji, i could imagine focusing patches are digital. The question is how good. For me, Bessa optical VF failed as the patch wasnt bright enough. I think it is hard to make improvements of VF in small package. If optical coupling is possible on T body, why not?

T camera looks like experimentation prototype for Leica marketers and engineers. Touch screen was used to test reaction of M users and it may influence decisions of making next M. If they made body thinner and made rear layout aka T and add ISO dial on the top aka RD1, And as for final part, add 0,91x. That I would call progress!

Whether cameras get improved, my way of photographing can either get worse or better. Same argumentation occured when M body was compared to DSLR. Manual versus AF.

I'm way faster on rangefinder than any worlds fastest AF can bring on if we speak street photographing and camera as eye extension.

Whatever.

Just try to open your mind and picture possibilities. Personally, I don't really care if you can picture it or if you need it or not... especially if you can't even picture it yet.

Everything is already there for an electronically coupled RF system to slide into the T's hot shoe. (Possibly electronic signaling for focus to these electronic contacts will have to be worked out.) This could be implemented to do numerous things including much more advanced parallax compensation than is on the M. It has been my understanding that this is precisely what Leica engineering is supposed to be good at.

Edited by AlanG

Whatever. Just try to open your mind and picture possibilities. I don't really care if you can picture if you need it or not... especially if you can't even picture it yet.

i dont understand.

Using Leica M with film is most open minded thing you could do in the world filled of commercialization. :rolleyes:

i dont understand.

Using Leica M with film is most open minded thing you could do in the world filled of commercialization. :rolleyes:

Well my opinion is that a homemade camera using homemade glass plates or Daguerreotypes would be about the least commercial approach. Everyone has an opinion.

What you don't understand is I am talking about camera technology, not photography. And that is pretty much all I've ever written about on this forum. I even have demonstrated several ways to utilize the technology. E.g. barrel distortion and anamorphosis to make subjects look more "correct." Whether this technology is developed or if you or anyone embraces it is irrelevant to the discussion. You are simply giving your opinion of what you appreciate about a certain camera and approach to photography. All opinions are valid.

Camera technology always advances and we are merely discussing theoretical options that cross our minds. Obviously Leica and other major manufacturers never could have pictured the popularity of the GoPro Hero concept and design either. But GoPro is now the most widely sold camera in the world. It is a classic example of someone from outside the industry having a new perspective and producing something unique that is now disruptive technology.

How one incorporates new technology into their work is not my business. Of course I know some people have no interest in doing so and just want to work the same way year after year. What is the point of discussing that? It is a personal approach and opinion. Just because I shoot a project with an 8x10 pinhole camera does not mean that is the only aspect of camera usage that I can relate to.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 2

What you don't understand is I am talking about camera technology, not photography.

What you don't understand is I am talking about photography, not camera technology.

p.s. edit 2

please stop editing your posts. Let your thoughts catch your brain before typing not vice versa.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What you don't understand is I am talking about photography, not camera technology.

You specifically posted , "i don't understand." So I explained my position to you since you asked for clarification.

Then you are off base commenting on my posts so much since they are only about the technology not the usage. I could not care less how anyone here thinks about photography. I don't know any of the people here and you don't know me. If I wanted a philosophical discussion about photography I certainly would not go to a camera forum. I have plenty of photographer friends, educators, art buyers, gallery owners, and others in the field to talk with about that.

I respect how anyone wants to do photography but that is not what I have posted about.

If you don't like me editing posts then wait an hour. You can't control the way I think or how I prefer to write. We are not doing on-line chatting here.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

You people who live at a monitor imaging how Leica should design new products are like role-playing gamers spending someone else's money.

I know as much of your virtual mind as you you think of Leica's. If I were to suggest re-engineering your personality I would likely be booted from here.

Not all balances out.

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

Edited by pico
  • Like 6

You people who live at a monitor imaging how Leica should design new products are like role-playing gamers spending someone else's money.

I know as much of your virtual mind as you you think of Leica's. If I were to suggest re-engineering your personality I would likely be booted from here.

Not all balances out.

And how many posts on this entire forum are about requesting new cameras, the addition or removal of features, new lenses, etc. Some lens test or way to improve something. That is the essence of this place. That is part of the hobby. I can't see much wrong with that if nobody gets hurt.

This thread title in particular is simply about whether a comment about lens design philosophy was actually said or not... something that is total speculation since none of us was there. We all know it has little to do with photography where only the final product matters.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 2

And how many posts on this entire forum are about requesting new cameras, the addition or removal of features, new lenses, etc.

Too many to put such ideas into any existing product forum. So what about a new forum entitled "New Directions".

Whatcha think?

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Whatever.

Just try to open your mind and picture possibilities. Personally, I don't really care if you can picture it or if you need it or not... especially if you can't even picture it yet.

Everything is already there for an electronically coupled RF system to slide into the T's hot shoe. (Possibly electronic signaling for focus to these electronic contacts will have to be worked out.) This could be implemented to do numerous things including much more advanced parallax compensation than is on the M. It has been my understanding that this is precisely what Leica engineering is supposed to be good at.

I thought you had a new girlfriend?

But I think this stuff is interesting. Ideas are always useful.

• Like 1

Too many to put such ideas into any existing product forum. So what about a new forum entitled "New Directions".

Whatcha think?

Anyway you want but most of this forum has always been about this aspect.... "What does one need in a camera? And does this camera, lens, technique, blah blah blah do it for you?" (Along with statements about construction quality, reliability, and repairs.) It doesn't matter what thread, what camera, what feature, what idea, you can't ever answer that question universally as to what is the best camera or how many cameras or features or lenses you need.

Whereas performance and features are quantifiable and you can take it or leave it if you need a given image quality level or specific features for your work. So any information provided along those lines is objective and easy to understand.

Just realize that there are those who could smugly answer any post on any thread here by saying, "Just use an M3, a 50mm lens and Tri-X and Dektol." It worked for so and so...

Someday should a Leica comes out with a shutter-free camera with IBIS, that will be the preferred way to use M (and T?) lenses on a Leica for some. And on and on...

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

I thought you had a new girlfriend?

Not just one.

As for my suggestion for how a rangefinder could be added to the T or any other model. That is totally up to whether the R&D and manufacturing would be worth it to Leica. There is nothing technologically difficult about it. I would think it would be one way for Leica to be able to keep differentiating its products going forward and a way to advance RF technology. But I have no idea if that is a way they would consider since they seem to be relying on live view and EVFs like everyone else. There also is nothing to stop any other manufacturer from doing this, but it suits the Leica tradition although I have no idea if they've even given the idea of improving the RF much thought in the past 60 years. Other companies did but dropped the ideas long ago.

So there, I've provided a suggested method for M lenses to work on a mirrorless camera via a coupled rangefinder. What could be cooler than that? Maybe I should patent the concept.

To me it would make sense to have optical viewfinders/RF, EVFs and some lenses that are usable on the M and the T. I don't see Leica making this.

I wonder how many here still have crank up windows in their cars.

Edited by AlanG

Whereas performance and features are quantifiable and you can take it or leave it if you need a given image quality level or specific features for your work. So any information provided along those lines is objective and easy to understand

This to the heart of it. But the problem as is see it is that with respect to quantifiable performance and features all modern cameras are up to it....... So that use ability and handling become most important - and that doesn't really hinge around check lists....... Ticking a list of features really isn't that relevant

• Like 3

I wonder how many here still have crank up windows in their cars.

I do, and I like it that way.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

This to the heart of it. But the problem as is see it is that with respect to quantifiable performance and features all modern cameras are up to it....... So that use ability and handling become most important - and that doesn't really hinge around check lists....... Ticking a list of features really isn't that relevant

I find that my photos are better when I enjoy using the camera. If I'm apathetic about the camera or (worse) it rubs me the wrong way my photos suffer.

• Like 3