Leica T performs digital lens correction , a claim by dpreview.com

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This means a can of worms since Leica claims the opposite...

Leica T lenses: Correcting some distortions: Digital Photography Review

K.

P.S. OK somebody claims that Leica has never claimed this... So who is lying?

Edited by koray
Link correction, factual challenge...

I'll just leave this here (emphasis mine):

There has been a lot of postings that the Leica T is over priced because other mirrorless cameras has same sensor or better ( Sony ) , faster lenses ( Fuji X ), no image stabilization, no built in EVF and some say the system is 3 years behind everybody else in the industry.

For me the best reason to purchase the Leica T is because of Leica lenses.

The T lenses are better optics/ build quality than the competition. Leica M lenses will perform better on the Leica T than on Sony Nex cameras, Fuji X and others because Leicas M adaptor has sensor to read 6 bit coding on M lenses as well as Leica took into account with design of sensor topping that Leica M lenses would also be used.

In summary best reason to purchase the Leica T is the same as Leica M system or Leica S system - the quality of Leica lenses

Dan

I find it interesting how many manufacturers naturally provide in-camera adjustments, re-processing the images and correcting for distortion, color fringing and light fall-off.

This happens more than is actively noted in product literature. I am confident that Leica T users will enjoy higher comparative optical lens quality with minimal corrections, so IMHO there is no misrepresentation.

It belies logic that they would even claim this, given how people would naturally find out otherwise (as DPR did). Did they really claim this? Is there a reference to them claiming this?

It just makes no sense...

• Like 10

It belies logic that they would even claim this, given how people would naturally find out otherwise (as DPR did). Did they really claim this? Is there a reference to them claiming this?

It just makes no sense...

Exactly! Strange move from the usual suspects (DPR) accusing Leica of lying about this, without posting a link to where Leica claims that no digital correction is necessary.

I guess Amazone doesn't make any money on Leica products :mad::mad::mad:

I can not imagine Leica making such a claim which would be all to easy to get exposed, as it has obviously been now. They (DPR) make it sound as if they made a discovery that only their expert reviewers were able to uncover. Geez, all it takes is one mouse click.

• Like 2

Did they really claim this? Is there a reference to them claiming this?

This is what I'm wondering as well.

I'd like to see the actual Leica quote.

Could be just DPR stirring the pot due to pre-release misinformation...

• Like 6

The information is provided through software by Adobe, who we know is usually very late to update their software. In other words, the Leica preceded the software by at least a year.

Who are we to believe?

There ought to be a distinction amongst discussion on vignetting correction and that for chromatic aberration and for distortion.

As is well known I think, vignetting (and corner colour shift) correction is a normal part of the image chain from the M8 forward. There is none used for the aberrations and distortion though.

I haven't seen the claims referred to personally.

The DPreview comments seem to be nothing about the corrections being unusual and everything about that claim though.

It is worth remembering that the industry giants Canon and Nikon certainly do employ corrections in camera for aberrations for example, including their pro ranges.

The information is provided through software by Adobe, who we know is usually very late to update their software.

This isn’t about the software. DNG 1.3 (introduced in 2009) provides opcodes for specifying corrections of various aberrations and the application of these opcodes is mandatory. When the camera vendor includes these opcodes in the raw files, you don’t need an updated version of Lightroom or ACR to find and decode the opcodes.

By the way, the X Vario performs some digital corrections as well, even when its lens performs reasonably well even without. Digital corrections in the T are not really surprising.

• Like 14

Does the Leica T also do these corrections when using M lenses? Ie, is (part of) the reason why the Leica performs quite well with M lenses because it combats the usual problems by lens specific software profiles?

To be honest I wouldn't mind much if it did. Sure, it would be even more impressive if there was some hardware reason why the sensors works as well as it does with M lenses, but an in camera software solution is used in the digital M camera's as well (together with the hardware solution of the special made sensor) and would also be nice in the T.

Anyway, it seems better for Leica just to be more open about the camera from the start. I mean even the keeping secret of the Japanese manufacturer of the Leica T lenses seems to be a ticking marketing timebomb. At some point somebody will know and on forums people will be lamenting the fact that Leica never told that they used a certain manufacturer from Japan...

Does the Leica T also do these corrections when using M lenses?

No, for all we know it does not.

I mean even the keeping secret of the Japanese manufacturer of the Leica T lenses seems to be a ticking marketing timebomb.

It doesn’t really matter. There are the usual suspects but what would change if you knew who it was?

• Like 3