Leica T performs digital lens correction , a claim by dpreview.com

Not just one.

To me it would make sense to have optical viewfinders/RF, EVFs and some lenses that are usable on the M and the T.

Now you're talking! :)

And FF, absolutely.

This to the heart of it. But the problem as is see it is that with respect to quantifiable performance and features all modern cameras are up to it....... So that use ability and handling become most important - and that doesn't really hinge around check lists....... Ticking a list of features really isn't that relevant

I used to sell cameras. I was taught that if the customer didn't come in with a preference, to put different ones in the customer's hands and see if they felt a preference. How a camera feels and works is also personal. I am experienced enough that I can tell by looking at some models that the lack of specific buttons in certain areas will not work for me. Possibly I could adapt if I had to and get by with it. The A7 is an example that I could use but does not have all of the controls where I would prefer.

But if a required feature is not there or the resolution is not high enough, there is nothing one can do about it. So that is a cut and dry situation with no wiggle room. Thus you have to study the features before purchase if you want to make sure the camera will meet your needs.

We all know this and discussing what camera is easier/harder to use has its merits I guess, but we all have different views of that too. A good friend or mine prefers large "pro" bodies with vertical grips and I prefer smaller lighter bodies and can live without the vertical grip. Everyone is looking for something different, and those needs may also change for different projects. (Maybe you decide a year after buying a camera to shoot video with it.) The manufacturers keep trying to come up with combinations in new models that will appeal to people. There is no pure or essential way and you will always be fastest with any camera that you practice a lot with.

Leica is playing the same game of ticking off features... they are just listing what they state as "essential" and then saying we uniquely offer the feature of a solid metal case, 45 minutes of hand polishing, a special touch screen interface, a new neck strap system, Wetzler heritage, Japanese lenses designed by Leica and supervised by Leica, luxury status.

No different. You choose the features you want to pay for.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

Dear Mods, not much Leica T in the thread now. :confused:

Yes, but when you come down to it, the thread's title couldn't go anywhere either.

The T simply comes down to, I like using this camera a lot, it is easy and quick to use, I get good pictures from it, it is really nicely made, it has software correction of its Japanese made lenses, and I think many others will love it.

How can anyone disagree with anything in that? However, at one point, a rangefinder was considered an essential feature by most Leica users. So feature requirements are flexible at times it seems.

One can't simply say that handling trumps features or features trumps handling. But features can be listed and control placement can be illustrated and explained. At which point you then decide if it is the kind of camera you think you want to try out. That is up to you.

Edited by AlanG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Mods, not much Leica T in the thread now. :confused:
That’s the way it is on this forum. Threads meander and come into the main stream again in the end, or turn into oxbow lagoons….:rolleyes::p It is better than bashing DPReview… or Leica…:D
  • Like 5

However, at one point, a rangefinder was considered an essential feature by most Leica users.

And this remains my position. I won't be buying a T, nor S, nor other Leica offering. I will at some point replace my M9 when the time comes - with another Leica M fitting rangefinder. The reason being because I like M rangefinders. Period. Yes, other cameras may be more versatile, have higher specification, more facilities, more controls, etc., but what they lack is the enjoyment I have in using a Leica M.

And to get back to the T. Leica's challenge is to produce a camera for a new generation of customers which instills such enjoyment in use. As has been said before, this cannot be done simply by building a camera which produces 'better' images - because most are already 'fit for purpose' in this respect (and digital lens correction is almost certainly of little relevance to most potential purchasers if we are honest, and only hotly debated here because it can be, and it satisfies righteous outrage to do so:D). So design has to be of great importance and IMO the T is a brave attempt to produce a different camera in which design is most significant, and I wish them well with it.

• Like 9

Yes, but when you come down to it, the thread's title couldn't go anywhere either.

The T simply comes down to, I like using this camera a lot, it is easy and quick to use, I get good pictures from it, it is really nicely made, it has software correction of its Japanese made lenses, and I think many others will love it.

How can anyone disagree with anything in that? However, at one point, a rangefinder was considered an essential feature by most Leica users. So feature requirements are flexible at times it seems.

One can't simply say that handling trumps features or features trumps handling. But features can be listed and control placement can be illustrated and explained. At which point you then decide if it is the kind of camera you think you want to try out. That is up to you.

Why don't you just accept that there are many here that enjoy using their Leica cameras, be it an M a T a S or anything. These customers are lying? And at the same point you, the illuminated one arrives with the global truth that originates somewhere from the Rising Sun country? Who ever here said that now that T is out, Ms are obsolete?

Why don't you just accept that there are many here that enjoy using their Leica cameras, be it an M a T a S or anything. These customers are lying? And at the same point you, the illuminated one arrives with the global truth that originates somewhere from the Rising Sun country? Who ever here said that now that T is out, Ms are obsolete?

Rather cryptic to me. Did you write these remarks in response to something I wrote? I just stopped beating my wife too.

Edited by AlanG