Leica T performs digital lens correction , a claim by dpreview.com

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An M rangefinder with a body similar in size, shape and current layout to the existing range, but with a body milled out of solid cast aluminium and treated with an eloxal or similar coating might be an interesting idea, and use modern production techniques without losing that traditional design.....

• Like 2

These are not the problems if they would try a redesigned M.

The real problems would be that they will change a trusted for more than 6 decades design for something new. I never said to change the RF mechanism. But I do like the simplicity and modern looks of the T. On the other hand, 60 years of history is no small thing

I think Leica really do understand the importance of the heritage of the M and I doubt they'll mess with it too much. But there never used to be buttons and dials on the back of the M, and every time I look at the aluminium shall of a T which sits on my table it makes me wonder.

Let's face it, it's the size, the shape, the M mount and the rangefinder that real M lovers care about......... At least, that's what this M lover cares about!

Paul - you beat me to it :)

• Like 2

Buttons become more and more obsolete these days. This is clearly shown when Apple first introduced to the world the iphone with a soft keyboard. Everyone was then mocking them etc. There were those famous reviews mocking the iphone's usability, yet look at the present: touch interfaces everywhere with soft buttons.

The easiest step Leica can take is to design that aluminum enclosure with one gorgeous large screen on the back of it and you already have a modern camera. All those buttons in the back can be replaced with the touch interface.

The buttons on the top is another thing.

It can be done depending on their decision breaking with tradition or not. Sometimes it takes some brave moves to break the mold. 60 years are enough for retro design.

• Like 1

Buttons become more and more obsolete these days. This is clearly shown when Apple first introduced to the world the iphone with a soft keyboard. Everyone was then mocking them etc. There were those famous reviews mocking the iphone's usability, yet look at the present: touch interfaces everywhere with soft buttons.

The easiest step Leica can take is to design that aluminum enclosure with one gorgeous large screen on the back of it and you already have a modern camera. All those buttons in the back can be replaced with the touch interface.

The buttons on the top is another thing.

It can be done depending on their decision breaking with tradition or not. Sometimes it takes some brave moves to break the mold. 60 years are enough for retro design.

Quite right, but perhaps you can have the best of both worlds, how about an aluminium unibody in the size and shape of a III but with an M rangefinder and mount, a shutter speed dial on top, one or two dials configurable on the back (like the T), and everything else on a touch screen?

I just find these sort of discussions fascinating!

• Like 4

A couple of photo websites including The.me are suggesting Hasselblad are in financial trouble. They dressed up a mid range APSC Camera with a "Luxury" exterior and multiplied its retail price based on that of the donor. Does the Lunar share and components with the T ? Sensor ? Despite backing from high profile celebrities, with the likes of Beckham apparently "using" or at least holding one, this concept might have failed. Just a thought

Quite right, but perhaps you can have the best of both worlds, how about an aluminium unibody in the size and shape of a III but with an M rangefinder and mount, a shutter speed dial on top, one or two dials configurable on the back (like the T), and everything else on a touch screen?

I also see the next generation M as an unibody with the traditional shutter speed wheel, lenses with aperture ring and just another wheel at the back (just where it is now, included in the metallic thumb support). All other buttons can be easily replaced with an active screen. If the protector glass is strong enough, this would imply a return to the simplicity of the M film cameras.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Buttons become more and more obsolete these days. This is clearly shown when Apple first introduced to the world the iphone with a soft keyboard.

Everyone was then mocking them etc.
Just the ones that resisted change the younger generation embraced it and said more more we want more

We can be sure Leica will not do anything radical to the basic design and concept.

Can we? To my mind, the M(240) does that already.

I would like the M camera to stay a purist manual camera true to the original M3 concept. Get rid of video (or at least enable owners to remove it as an option), and get back to the simplicity of a rangefinder camera with simple controls and dedicated buttons (with a T type menu system in the background). I think the purity of the T camera shows quite clearly that modern technology enables this to be done with elegance and clarity. That is, after all, what traditional M owners want - just make sure that what is provided is simple with absolutely topnotch, state of the art componentry, and the best quality control.

But, I doubt this will really be enough to maintain or expand Leica's market share - people who remember the cameras of the 50s and 60s are getting older and I don't really think the traditional M camera is all that attractive to the next generation of buyers with this level of discretionary spending (as an example, look at what has happened to Hasselblad, and the 500C based cameras). The camera for life concept is (or should be) dead.

Depending on what happens with the T camera, I still think Leica needs a top level, full frame digital camera that outperforms the Sony A7 cameras (they are flawed in ways that Leica can do better) and fills a market space where Canon and Nikon have nothing to offer. Such a camera would use the T mount (allowing M and R lenses to be used with adapters), but would be all singing all dancing in the way the the internet generation expect and understand, while providing superlative image quality. These would follow the made in German/Japan model, and could then be priced accordingly.

Yep, this would involve a new line of high quality full frame, AF T mount lenses - but these would be made in Japan, and would be larger versions of the APS-C T mount lenses. Assuming the T camera is a success, such a camera would not break cover until Photokina (or, more likely, an earlier Leica invitation event) in 2016.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Such a camera would not be an M.

Leica will continue to develop the M line - obviously, but will do it gradually without endangering the recognizability of their flagship product. As they are doing. The M240 is far less of a change than the M8 was.

• Like 1

Easiest thing for Leica is to indeed switch to the aluminum or magnesium enclosure, get an OLED big screen on the back, dropping the removable base, keeping the top as it is (messing with these would mean a total redesign, obviously keeping the gorgeous VF+RF as is and giving it a small redesign. Of course we will get smartphone connection. It is certainly not difficult to take these steps.

Leica has now 3 great systems following 3 different sensor sizes. And a half system with the compact XVario. It covers everything. A little modern retouch of the M would be cool

• Like 1

Easiest thing for Leica is to indeed switch to the aluminum or magnesium enclosure,

Perhaps Elektron 21. That would be very cool, even elite. It machines very well, but requires a relatively long post-machining curing.

If you do not want apps like Lightroom to automatically apply the Leica T lens correction instructions: I have developed a free app which removes those instructions from the Leica T DNG files.

You can find a download link and more information in this post:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-post-processing-forum/331781-tool-remove-dng-raw-software-lens.html

• Like 2

For some reason Sophos thinks the site has malware.

warn.jpg

Hmmmm. Maybe because it is a ZIP file link?

I will attach the file in the post directly (if that works).

As far is I know my server is not spreading malware ;)

• Like 2

... why rangefinder can't be electronic !! The lens pushing a sensor which drives a stepper motor to move the mirror. It will be compact as well. Why will rangefinder lovers object to that?

(btw, I think I should patent this). :)

... why rangefinder can't be electronic !! The lens pushing a sensor which drives a stepper motor to move the mirror. It will be compact as well. Why will rangefinder lovers object to that?

im sure japanese would do that. But all weak parts still break apart after long time use or abuse, falling on mark. Therefore its reason i use almost everything manual, even NASA capsules.

I doubt there is a compact stepper motor with enough movement-resolution to work.