Best reason to purchase the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought my wife a Sony A6000 , but could not resist to buy a Leica adapter to try out some glass.

Also an adapter to a Canon 300/2.8 FD is heading towards my adress just for the fun of trying this beautiful lens on the Sony.

Life is to short for not having fun ; -)

Have any one done some comparison between the T and the Sony A6000? My tests are to modest and unscientific to be published, and I can only compare with an M8

// Erik

Edited by ErikP
  • Like 1

I did a few unscientific tests too. This was zoom to zoom on each camera. My results were no comparison. T was far superior. Of course this is an unfair comparison given the difference in the cost of the two zooms. When the A6000 was shot with a Leica lens it was much closer and maybe better, I can't recall for sure without going back and looking again.

• Like 1

I don't know about a best reason, but I handled one in Siena on May 28. They also had the viewfinder and zoom lens. I would have bought it right then and there just for the heck of it but the owner said he couldn't sell it until June 2 and I didn't have hanging about the area until then on my agenda. It's really a cool bit of kit as the Brits would say. Just holding one will bring a smile to your face :D.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Had my "T" two days and I love it. Its the perfect size, fits in my hand.

So easy to use. I would not change anything on this camera. I use 5dmk111's

in my business and the "T" for a carry around camera is refreshing. Leica hit a home-run this time. The lens feels like any other lens made by Leica. The feel of QUALITY.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
There has been a lot of postings that the Leica T is over priced because other mirrorless cameras has same sensor or better ( Sony ) , faster lenses ( Fuji X ), no image stabilization, no built in EVF and some say the system is 3 years behind everybody else in the industry.

For me the best reason to purchase the Leica T is because of Leica lenses.

The T lenses are better optics/ build quality than the competition. Leica M lenses will perform better on the Leica T than on Sony Nex cameras, Fuji X and others because Leicas M adaptor has sensor to read 6 bit coding on M lenses as well as Leica took into account with design of sensor topping that Leica M lenses would also be used.

In summary best reason to purchase the Leica T is the same as Leica M system or Leica S system - the quality of Leica lenses

Dan

Please read what DPreview says about lenses for Leica T

• Like 1

Why? What do they say? and is anything they say actually authoritative?

The assumption that a lens is going to be better than the opposition because it has a Leica badge on it is not very reliable. But if the lens is made by Leica, there is a very good chance that it is very good quality, in my experience. If it is designed by Leica and has Leica quality control, that is still a fair assumption.

I haven't ever really read anything from DPReview that was actually useful. Some reasonable consumer guidance, but not really a lens or camera testing lab. I think you really get the best idea of how a camera or lens performs by using it, and seeing what others achieve by it.

Then again, if the DPReview reveals things about the camera you don't like, it's worth reading. It will have saved you money.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have Joe - what they say is:

"Both lenses are sure to be superb"

and

"It already seems clear that the 18-56 is an impressive performer for such a small lens"

Here is a link to the 'first impressions' page:

Dpreview Leica Preview conclusions

There was a misunderstanding between dPreview and Leica about lens corrections (perhaps that's what you're referring to?). Leica either appeared to, or actually did say that there aren't any, when it was always absolutely clear that there would be and where. Here is the page where it's discussed:

dPreview and Lens Corrections

My suspicion is that Leica meant that they weren't applied to the DNG files 'in camera' (but in optcodes in the DNG file), but dPreview construed this as meaning they didn't exist.

Whatever, it's all been talked to death around here, it is clearly the right thing to do (Hassleblad started it with the 28mm several years ago).

If you want your T files uncorrected (and I sometimes do for landscape) then I've written an article on the blog here about how to do so:

RAW Workflow with the Leica T

But perhaps you've seen something I've missed? If so, please could you post a link.

All the best

• Like 4

Give it a rest Joe.

Every post is a moan about the T or Leica in general

If you don't like the camera, just sell it and get an A6000 or a Fuji.

Then you can plague the Sony or Fuji forums instead.

• Like 1

There was a misunderstanding between dPreview and Leica about lens corrections (perhaps that's what you're referring to?). Leica either appeared to, or actually did say that there aren't any, when it was always absolutely clear that there would be and where.

My suspicion is that Leica meant that they weren't applied to the DNG files 'in camera' (but in optcodes in the DNG file), but dPreview construed this as meaning they didn't exist.

The distortion correction and 'where it is done' is rather interesting ........

....... although it is very noticeable in 'incompletely processed' images it never appears in the viewfinder/screen before taking the picture .......

...... so some jiggery-pokery must be going on before the image is displayed as well.

With digital processing you are never really sure what reality is...... or where the real IQ is being generated......

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest badbob

It's a competent camera, images are Leica-good, operation is pretty quirky to me, build is unique. This camera being a new design has no history, but I can see now that it's a good follow-on to the X Vario, having interchangeable lenses. I don't change lenses on my cameras, preferring a single zoom lens (18-56) for shooting around town and in public parks. So for me the T is a good shooter (albeit a bit slow), and since it's a unique design and a "real Leica", I don't feel the need to compare it to a Sony, etc. Oh, wait - a friend of mine bought the comparable Sony, which I looked at last week. I was aghast at the Sony build quality, but hey - it's what's inside that counts, yes? Never mind the awful exterior. (i.e., using that "other camera" would be like eating food that someone else chewed first. Just as nutritious once you get past the exterior)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a Fuji X-T1 and a few Fuji lenses to boot. A Leica M mount adapter is also on its way (which I have yet to try out). The X-T1 has none of the user interface problems that I disliked with a Sony A7R, and indeed I would go so far as to say the X-T1 is Leica-like in ease and intuitiveness of use. The sensor is outstanding (no AA filter, and other goodies). The photos it produces are remarkable. The body and the 18-135mm lens are both "weather-proofed." Fuji also claims the new 18-135mm lens provides 5 stops of compensation. I have taken handheld telephoto pictures with this lens during the blue hour after sunset, and they were sharp. I really like this camera, and IMHO it offers more for the money than a T or X-Vario. The X-T1 won't replace my M240, but complements it nicely (autofocus interchangeable lenses, excellent image stabilization, small body, wide selection of super high quality lenses, good focus peaking, a high-resolution, built-in, bright OLED viewfinder). The X-T1 is worth taking a look at, anyway. (FWIW, I played around with a T for an afternoon, and had an X-Vario for a few days. They are both great cameras.)

Edited by tundraline
  • Like 3

Guest badbob
I recently bought a Fuji X-T1 and a few Fuji lenses to boot. A Leica M mount adapter is also on its way (which I have yet to try out). The X-T1 has none of the user interface problems that I disliked with a Sony A7R, and indeed I would go so far as to say the X-T1 is Leica-like in ease and intuitiveness of use. The sensor is outstanding (no AA filter, and other goodies). The photos it produces are remarkable. The body and the 18-135mm lens are both "weather-proofed." Fuji also claims the new 18-135mm lens provides 5 stops of compensation. I have taken handheld telephoto pictures with this lens during the blue hour after sunset, and they were sharp. I really like this camera, and IMHO it offers more for the money than a T or X-Vario. The X-T1 won't replace my M240, but complements it nicely (autofocus interchangeable lenses, excellent image stabilization, small body, wide selection of super high quality lenses, good focus peaking, a high-resolution, built-in, bright OLED viewfinder). The X-T1 is worth taking a look at, anyway. (FWIW, I played around with a T for an afternoon, and had an X-Vario for a few days. They are both great cameras.)

So why post this on a Leica T forum? Just to irritate the actual Leica T users who come here for information about the T?

• Like 2

So why post this on a Leica T forum? Just to irritate the actual Leica T users who come here for information about the T?

Because some people will find the information useful -- which it is intended to be. Sorry you took offense at my observations. I was seriously considering buying a T, and did buy an X-Vario (which I returned after a day's use and evaluation). I also owned and used heavily a Leica X1 for several years, which is a great camera too. I am sure the same can be said about the X2 (although I have never owned or used one). IMHO, and for many users, the Fuji X-T1 is a good alternative to Leica's APS-C sensor-based camera offerings, and indeed has many advantages with respect to them (not the least being a wide selection of fine Fuji glass, a really good sensor and user interface, and attractive prices). IMHO, Leica ignores the Fuji X-T1 system at its own peril. Competition in the camera industry is alive and well. My comments are not intended to slam Leica (I have been a Leica owner for over 40 years, and will remain so), but to provide constructive feedback and commentary about my experiences and observations with these cameras.

Edited by tundraline
  • Like 2

Guest badbob
Because some people will find the information useful -- which it is intended to be. Sorry you took offense at my observations. I was seriously considering buying a T, and did buy an X-Vario (which I returned after a day's use and evaluation). I also owned and used heavily a Leica X1 for several years, which is a great camera too. I am sure the same can be said about the X2 (although I have never owned or used one). IMHO, and for many users, the Fuji X-T1 is a good alternative to Leica's APS-C sensor-based camera offerings, and indeed has many advantages with respect to them (not the least being a wide selection of fine Fuji glass, a really good sensor and user interface, and attractive prices). IMHO, Leica ignores the Fuji X-T1 system at its own peril. Competition in the camera industry is alive and well. My comments are not intended to slam Leica (I have been a Leica owner for over 40 years, and will remain so), but to provide constructive feedback and commentary about my experiences and observations with these cameras.

I didn't intend a personal swipe at you, but I would like to point out that there are many sites that don't get Leica sponsorship that get a lot of posts to the 'T' threads that go on ad nauseam about other cameras. That seems inappropriate to me in several ways.

Firstly, the non-Leica on the Leica thread shouldn't be a mini-article on that camera. It is appropriate to discuss certain features in direct comparison to the Leica camera.

Secondly, the design, build, price etc. of the Leica is NOT in direct competition to Fuji, Sony, or probably anyone else. Making those comparisons at length, with the usual negative references to the Leica's features or performance, amounts to Leica-bashing, no matter how well-intended.

On certain Leica forums we read these things endlessly, and the bashers never "get it" - the T, and the X Vario before it, can be compared to the immediate next step up in Leica cameras, to see more *clearly* what a fantastic bargain they are compared to the M's, which don't even have zoom lenses! Making comparisons outside of Leica will always be negative, and that seems more appropriate on a non-Leica forum.

• Like 1

I didn't intend a personal swipe at you, but I would like to point out that there are many sites that don't get Leica sponsorship that get a lot of posts to the 'T' threads that go on ad nauseam about other cameras. That seems inappropriate to me in several ways.

Firstly, the non-Leica on the Leica thread shouldn't be a mini-article on that camera. It is appropriate to discuss certain features in direct comparison to the Leica camera.

Secondly, the design, build, price etc. of the Leica is NOT in direct competition to Fuji, Sony, or probably anyone else. Making those comparisons at length, with the usual negative references to the Leica's features or performance, amounts to Leica-bashing, no matter how well-intended.

On certain Leica forums we read these things endlessly, and the bashers never "get it" - the T, and the X Vario before it, can be compared to the immediate next step up in Leica cameras, to see more *clearly* what a fantastic bargain they are compared to the M's, which don't even have zoom lenses! Making comparisons outside of Leica will always be negative, and that seems more appropriate on a non-Leica forum.

I respectfully disagree with you. Being Leica owners and users does not mean we should live in a self-imposed bubble where we ignore the world around us. I myself am a Leica True Believer. But that does not mean I should not be objective when it comes to evaluating and comparing Leica products to other offerings. There are hundreds of discussions on this forum about cameras and lenses from companies other than Leica (which is healthy). Just my two cents.

• Like 2

I've been a Leica user for several years. I bought the T after much deliberation inspite of reading reviews and users lamenting about it's several drawbacks. So you could say I went in with my eyes open.

Lo and behold - my camera had a defective LCD and what was said about the speed, AF and EVF were all true.

But nothing is sweeter than reality. The T lenses are astonishingly good. I'm delighted, that my dealer has swapped the camera with a new one, and I'm able to enjoy these super optics once again!!

I'd posted an earlier image which I feel visually explains my best reason to buy the T!! For the consumption of those in this thread I post the same below. Similarly there are several images in the forum which illustrate the beauty of these optics. And in my opinion, that's what it's all about.....

Now if only Leica would hurry up with their firmware upgrade......!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I've been a Leica user for several years. I bought the T after much deliberation inspite of reading reviews and users lamenting about it's several drawbacks. So you could say I went in with my eyes open.

Lo and behold - my camera had a defective LCD and what was said about the speed, AF and EVF were all true.

But nothing is sweeter than reality. The T lenses are astonishingly good. I'm delighted, that my dealer has swapped the camera with a new one, and I'm able to enjoy these super optics once again!!

I'd posted an earlier image which I feel visually explains my best reason to buy the T!! For the consumption of those in this thread I post the same below. Similarly there are several images in the forum which illustrate the beauty of these optics. And in my opinion, that's what it's all about.....

Now if only Leica would hurry up with their firmware upgrade......!

Leica optics are pretty much unbeatable.

• Like 1

Guest badbob
I respectfully disagree with you. Being Leica owners and users does not mean we should live in a self-imposed bubble where we ignore the world around us. I myself am a Leica True Believer. But that does not mean I should not be objective when it comes to evaluating and comparing Leica products to other offerings. There are hundreds of discussions on this forum about cameras and lenses from companies other than Leica (which is healthy). Just my two cents.

You're misrepresenting what I said. I have no problem with you or anyone complaining about the features of a Leica T or lack thereof. But "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck in all probability". What that means is when you post a review on another camera on a Leica T forum, that's a problem. When you have a fairly long post comparing a Leica T to a Fuji and expecting the Leica to be competitive, that's a problem.

The Leicas made in-house in Germany aren't in the same performance class as Sonys or Fujis. Comparing them to illustrate a point or two makes sense, but when the post becomes negative on the Leica because "it doesn't match up" to the Fuji or Sony - that does not make sense. The Leica T way outperforms the M - a camera that costs several times as much. But it doesn't compare to Sony or Fuji, because it's not a competitor, period.

I've talked to a thousand people about my Leica cameras, and those who don't already have Leicas just throw up their hands and say "no way" when they hear the price.

There are a few people on Leica forums who have M's, allegedly anyway, who are looking for a smaller "second" camera, and they often agonize over buying a Fuji etc. as compared to buying a Leica T or X Vario, or even in past years, a Leica X1. Those posts never go anywhere except to create bad feelings, because the Leicas are never going to compete with the Fujis etc. on features and performance. Unless, like me, you would have a different concept of what's important to you in a small camera.

• Like 1