Best reason to purchase the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There has been a lot of postings that the Leica T is over priced because other mirrorless cameras has same sensor or better ( Sony ) , faster lenses ( Fuji X ), no image stabilization, no built in EVF and some say the system is 3 years behind everybody else in the industry.

For me the best reason to purchase the Leica T is because of Leica lenses.

The T lenses are better optics/ build quality than the competition. Leica M lenses will perform better on the Leica T than on Sony Nex cameras, Fuji X and others because Leicas M adaptor has sensor to read 6 bit coding on M lenses as well as Leica took into account with design of sensor topping that Leica M lenses would also be used.

In summary best reason to purchase the Leica T is the same as Leica M system or Leica S system - the quality of Leica lenses

Dan

Edited by miatadan
  • Like 2

Leica M lenses will perform better on the Leica T than on Sony Nex cameras

I hope this statement turns out to be true. If it is, I will definitely buy the T. Currently, there is a lot of buzz about the new Sony A6000, which is said to be a huge jump up from the Nex cameras. There is an adapter for M lenses, it has a built in viewfinder, 24.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, a highly advanced image processor, sturdy build--and it sells for just over $600 (body only).

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

The T lenses are better optics/ build quality than the competition.

Dan

Really? Can you post some photos showing these comparisons and demonstrating the obviously better image quality ?

• Like 3

The T lenses are better optics/ build quality than the competition. Leica M lenses will perform better on the Leica T than on Sony Nex cameras, Fuji X and others because Leicas M adaptor has sensor to read 6 bit coding on M lenses as well as Leica took into account with design of sensor topping that Leica M lenses would also be used.

In summary best reason to purchase the Leica T is the same as Leica M system or Leica S system - the quality of Leica lenses

Dan

Is there any proof that these lenses are any better optically than the Fuji primes or the zooms that they manufacturer ? I would suggest that they haven't been road tested as such yet with regards to regular use by professional photographers that may wish to use them under testing conditions and on a daily basis. Leica aren't making the T lenses I believe, so maybe the ones made by Leica in Germany for the M's are a cut above all of the competition but there's nothing so far that suggests these lenses at about twice the price of the Fuji equivalents are offering anything more.

James, unless there is a link posted to original DNGs, posting jpegs at Forum sizing can only hint at the content and quality contained in the file.

Perhaps our friend can post links to other examples then.

Really Brian, these unsupported sweeping statements about quality don't help anyone.

There has been a lot of postings that the Leica T is over priced because other mirrorless cameras has same sensor or better ( Sony ) , faster lenses ( Fuji X ), no image stabilization, no built in EVF and some say the system is 3 years behind everybody else in the industry.

Dan

You're statement may well be true but I would like to see some comparison images between the Panasonic/leica lenses on one of the Panasonic cameras. After all these are sold to the public as 'leica' lenses. I do of course realise that the Panasonic has a smaller sensor but at base iso it maybe an interesting comparison

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

Perhaps our friend can post links to other examples then.

Really Brian, these unsupported sweeping statements about quality don't help anyone.

I quite agree James

but to be honest, without a catastrophe (like the 28 'cron on an A7r for instance) it's pretty hard to make valid judgements without a large range of files, (different distances, lenses, colours, scenes) - a huge job; thankless (you'll get flamed to hell for your technique - I know - I've been there) and largely pointless, as it's impossible to construct sensible criteria for making a useful judgement (the criteria will certainly vary from person to person).

So sweeping statements can be quite useful.

here's one

I've tried M lenses on Olympus E-M1, Fuji X-T1, Sony A7, Sony A7r, Sony Nex 7, Sony Nex 6, Leica M and Leica T. and my personal feeling is that they work best on the M, followed by the T (even only if it's convenient to have the lens name in the exif data). The only cameras which posed a serious issue were the Sony A7r, Sony A7 and NEX 7 - all the other cameras did a creditable job with no smeariness (apart from Fuji greens) and very limited colour shifts.

. . . . but in the end, I'll use my M lenses on an M, with the exception of longer focal lengths (75-135) where a small sensor makes for a fast telephoto.

• Like 4

You're statement may well be true but I would like to see some comparison images between the Panasonic/leica lenses on one of the Panasonic cameras. After all these are sold to the public as 'leica' lenses. I do of course realise that the Panasonic has a smaller sensor but at base iso it maybe an interesting comparison

. . . . and the Zuiko lenses too David. I think that the 12-40 f2.8 Zuiko lens is probably the best zoom lens I've ever used - sharp to the corners from f2.8 at 12 mm right through to 40mm. . . . and as for the 75mm f1.8 - it's a cracker of a lens - right up there with the best of Leica lenses in my opinion.

I like Leica lenses - I like the look of the images and the feel of the lenses to use, I like the build quality and the 'thingness', but one shouldn't have illusions about other great lenses - there are plenty of them about.

All the best

• Like 6

The best reason to buy a Leica T is because you like its design, build quality, you want autofocus, because you happen to like the character of the Leica lenses and above all: you can afford its price. Nothing more, nothing less.

Leica lenses work best on a Leica camera, gosh, really... :eek:

I wouldn't need a weak excuse to buy a Leica T if I had too much money too spend. I'd simply buy it because of the above reasons. I'd be a great point and shoot for my wife during the holidays.

The thing is, in reality, I don't have that much money to spend for a point and shoot without having to sacrifice other purchases. It's a tough life being a family man. :D

• Like 5

Is this the thread for sweeping statements?

I guess straight facts have no place in this thread? Like for example: The Leica T doesn't even have focus peaking, which many people like to use and for some are a necessity, when using manual lenses.

Or that the Sony Nex 5n also sported a 16mp sensor and did very well with many M lenses. It was released in august 2011.

Or the fact that there are many many more kinds of older manual lenses than just the Leica-M lenses. When you're going to use adapters to use classic lenses you might as well buy a system that has adapters to whole range of other mounts.

Or the fact that even Jono Slack, when saying he likes the Leica T second best for M lenses, he comments that it might be only because the adapter can adjust exif information in the files.

Sorry for bringing facts to this thread, but allow me to end by a sweeping statement that many would be better of either buying a Leica M to use M lenses on OR if they really want to dabble in this "never quite the way it should be" world of using lenses not quite designed for a camera in the first place, they should just buy something cheaper which has more than 2 native lenses available for it. oh, btw 2 lenses made by some unknown manufacturer in Japan apparently. 2 lenses that are way too expensive compared to most other aps-c lenses made in Japan.

Seriously though, I just don't agree that image quality is the best reason to buy the Leica T. I think most people would state other "best" reasons... :)

Leica lenses work best on a Leica camera, gosh, really... :eek:

:D

It does appear at face value to be an obvious statement, but the truth is there seem to be many people out there who are so determined to find a non-Leica body that works well with M lenses that the amount of speculative fog and misinformation can sometimes border on self delusion. Anyone who's tried to get a handle on which wide M lenses work on the Sony A7 and which don't will know exactly what I mean.

Until someone comes up with a genuinely less compromised alternative then I'm happy to be reminded that Leica lenses work best on Leica cameras on a regular basis.

Then again I shoot VM and ZM lenses on a Ricoh GXR, so what the hell do I know?;)

• Like 2

. . . . and the Zuiko lenses too David. I think that the 12-40 f2.8 Zuiko lens is probably the best zoom lens I've ever used - sharp to the corners from f2.8 at 12 mm right through to 40mm. . . . and as for the 75mm f1.8 - it's a cracker of a lens - right up there with the best of Leica lenses in my opinion.

I like Leica lenses - I like the look of the images and the feel of the lenses to use, I like the build quality and the 'thingness', but one shouldn't have illusions about other great lenses - there are plenty of them about.

All the best

wow that zuiko sounds like quite a lens!!! such a shame it is on the micro four/thirds format

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

I do not understand this fixation on focus peaking. It is only accurate on long/longish lenses, the more pronounced it is the less accurate and it is less useful as the sensor gets smaller. I only use it for lenses over 135 mm.

• Like 10

I quite agree James

but to be honest, without a catastrophe (like the 28 'cron on an A7r for instance) it's pretty hard to make valid judgements without a large range of files, (different distances, lenses, colours, scenes) - a huge job; thankless (you'll get flamed to hell for your technique - I know - I've been there) and largely pointless, as it's impossible to construct sensible criteria for making a useful judgement (the criteria will certainly vary from person to person).

So sweeping statements can be quite useful.

here's one

I've tried M lenses on Olympus E-M1, Fuji X-T1, Sony A7, Sony A7r, Sony Nex 7, Sony Nex 6, Leica M and Leica T. and my personal feeling is that they work best on the M, followed by the T (even only if it's convenient to have the lens name in the exif data). The only cameras which posed a serious issue were the Sony A7r, Sony A7 and NEX 7 - all the other cameras did a creditable job with no smeariness (apart from Fuji greens) and very limited colour shifts.

. . . . but in the end, I'll use my M lenses on an M, with the exception of longer focal lengths (75-135) where a small sensor makes for a fast telephoto.

Hi Jono,

The OP said "The T lenses are better optics/ build quality than the competition".

I've yet to see anything to show that this is definately the case. He wasn't talking about M lenses on the T.

The best reason to buy a T is because you like it. You don't have to justify it to anyone. Not even yourself.

(Wives, husbands and other partners may disagree, but that's another topic.)

EDIT: Oops, sorry Bill, we seem to have had a similar thought, but you beat me to it!

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 8

The main reason for ME why I have ordered a T is the AF.

Getting increasingly problems with my eyes for MF and therefore my M240 will soon have a new owner.

I had tried the S2 but that is too bulky and heavy for my body :-)

John

• Like 4