Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is going to be a bit of a newbie question as I am sure that folks on this forum probably hate the idea of mating a zoom to a rangefinder.

I use a number of primes with my M and love them all but for the sake of occasional convenience and longer focal lengths I am considering an M-R adapter with possibly a Vario Elmar 70-210 or preferably the 80-200 (assuming I can find either).

Does anyone have any experience of either of these two lenses on an M and are they any good? Is one better than the other because I notice that the 80-200 f/4 is a heck of a lot more money - if you can find one.

Thanks for any advice.

As you surely know, M-cameras and R-lenses result from different photo-technical concepts.

The main reason for designing an adapter was to allow owners of valuable R lenses not to lose the development of modern digital photography even further.

If you are in the fortunate position to think about new purchases, you should stick better to only one principle of construction:

Either a digital SLR with matching lenses, or if the Leica M has already purchased for this matching M-lenses.

Zoom lenses are available for the M only in the form of the Tri-Elmars WATE 4.0 16-18-21mm and used MATE 4.0 28-35-50mm.

The R to M adapter works great from my experience. I use it with a 35-70 Macro zoom. Obviously if you are looking at a longer zoom, the Tri Elmars will not work for you. I have no reason to doubt that either of the long zooms you are considering will work great with your M. I also use an EVF when using my zoom.

…. as I am sure that folks on this forum probably hate the idea of mating a zoom to a rangefinder.

Not so, and you'll find discussion via the search box, including threads like this.

And of course there are those who use the MATE and WATE, which are variants of zooms, albeit not long focal lengths.

Jeff

SEARCH the R lenses on M240 section where Jaap started a thread with accompanying photos. Sure they both work--see this section where examples of 80-200 and many other R lenses used on M240 are shown.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the 80-200 rom for my m240. I recently received the R-M adapter and haven't yet had the chance to take it out for a run but I'd be happy to take some shots if you're interested in samples. From quick observations the lens is extremely well built and files looks sharp even wide open.

I got this lens for landscape work in the future but I've never enjoyed the idea of a mid speed zoom lens on an M because its uncomfortable to handle especially without a grip. You will need to bump iso in most situations and the lack of stabilisation just makes it cumbersome to use as a casual lens.

Was there any particular things you wanted to know about the lens? I could focus my samples on whatever you were looking out for.

This is going to be a bit of a newbie question as I am sure that folks on this forum probably hate the idea of mating a zoom to a rangefinder.

I use a number of primes with my M and love them all but for the sake of occasional convenience and longer focal lengths I am considering an M-R adapter with possibly a Vario Elmar 70-210 or preferably the 80-200 (assuming I can find either).

Does anyone have any experience of either of these two lenses on an M and are they any good? Is one better than the other because I notice that the 80-200 f/4 is a heck of a lot more money - if you can find one.

Thanks for any advice.

Since the advent of the M240, R lenses seem to have become very expensive. There are alternatives such as the Contax SLR zooms which are of high quality and considerably cheaper.

However while live view has made it possible to use zooms on an M you loose the speed of rangefinder focusing and the longer zooms are quite bulky and heavy. While I have enjoyed using my old visoflex Telyts and Contax zooms with appropriate adapters I find it much more convenient when traveling to take my Olympus OM-D E-M1 with the benefits of fast AF, effective image stabilisation and small light lenses.

Since the advent of the M240, R lenses seem to have become very expensive.

A little off topic, but within the same time frame, some new cinema cameras from Blackmagic Design became available that can also make use of the R lenses with the proper adapters. I know, 'cause that's where I first started looking for them!

So in addition to still photographers, there are filmmakers out there scrambling for those precious lenses. Damn!

from R system I still have 100 AME+ELPRO, 28-90 and 80Lux left

28-90 is a nice lens fairly cheep for latest R designs (used on ebay good cond. $4K-6K)

good thing about 28-90 is weight and size. quality is superb but it will never reach equivalents in M but it weights less than carrying a 28, 50 and 90 around which I always tend to do.

Here is Erwin's take on it:

http://leica-camera.pl/wp-content/downloads/Puts_Column_28-90_mm_Leica_R_Lenses_en.pdf

Was there any particular things you wanted to know about the lens? I could focus my samples on whatever you were looking out for.

I really only wanted flexibility in focal lengths for those days when 'anything could happen.. You don't seem to consider this lens to be a 'chuck it on and leave it' kind of a lens which is really what i wanted it for. Those holiday days when you really only want to take one body and one lens out for the day.

Thanks for your advice. It really is helpful.

You should do it !!

The 80 - 200 mm is really superb on the M240 !!...

I own this lens and I can tell you the result is fantastic !

If you want to try it out , please come and visit me in Belgium.

Many greetings.

Ivo

I really only wanted flexibility in focal lengths for those days when 'anything could happen.. You don't seem to consider this lens to be a 'chuck it on and leave it' kind of a lens which is really what i wanted it for. Those holiday days when you really only want to take one body and one lens out for the day.

Thanks for your advice. It really is helpful.

What you describe brings to mind the 28-90 without a doubt. Went on a 3 week trip with one and used it 80% of the time.

What you describe brings to mind the 28-90 without a doubt. Went on a 3 week trip with one and used it 80% of the time.

Agreed; it's my "single, holiday lens" on my M, as well as with film on my R8. (Though I mistakenly got the impression from your original post that you were wanting a long zoom to use along with your M lenses.) But it depends of course on one's shooting style. Many M users would say just to put a 35mm M lens on the M body, and go with that!

Thanks for any advice.

I am amazed by the humble origin (Japanese made) Leica R 80-200mm Vario Elmar's sharpness, contrast and color rendering used on M240 locking ISO at 800.

I always replace it with both my M 90mmAA & R APO 180mm Elmarit whenever I travel. Instead of going for the faster R APO 70-180mm Elmarit that weights double. Making hand held shooting less pleasing in my opinion.

Agreed; it's my "single, holiday lens" on my M, as well as with film on my R8. (Though I mistakenly got the impression from your original post that you were wanting a long zoom to use along with your M lenses.) But it depends of course on one's shooting style. Many M users would say just to put a 35mm M lens on the M body, and go with that!

On my recent holiday in Namibia with the M240 I took the R28-90 and 80-200 and the 2x extension tube and was very happy with the results.